Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 02:33 PM
kryly: I DIDN'T SAY THAT.

Please don't take my comments out of context. What I said was that it makes no difference how you train, whether it be a dog or a wolf, you can still train them with whatever your preferred method is.

The point i was making, as you well know, is that it is irresponsible to sell a wc without telling the buyers what they are buying. They are very different from ordinary dogs, as you would know if you had ever had one, but that is not to say that they cannot be trained in just the same way. whether they will respond or not, is often up to them, not you, the owner!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Don't get your point about Zeff, Tassle. So what? Are you trying to tell me how wonderful you are because you bought a dog after just 3 emails and 1 visit?

Doesn't sound very repsonsible to me - we bought Hal after FOUR YEARS of talking to Eddy on the phone, several visits, letters (pre email days). She wanted to make absolutely sure that we were suitable owners, and that we could handle a dog like Hal. We could - but he wasn't easy.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 02:38 PM
Brierley, actually what you say is probably a very fair point! I do no service to Ben, or Tai, for that matter, by harking back to the Hal days.

But in my defence, if you had known Hal, you would have seen my point - you'll have to take my word, because no-one on here has ever met him.

It is unfair to Tai, and it is unfair to Ben, and I try not to compare, and certainly I try not to show Ben favouriteism, but Tai knows, there is no hiding secrets from dogs after all.

So good post Brierley, and well observed.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Gnasher but you have not met anyone else with their problem dogs, the ones who have issues with recal or whatever
You do them - and your dogs - a disservice to say that your dogs are MORE difficult to train that anyone elses dogs are
You dont know, everyone has their own issues, everyone is difficult
But I get the feeling you are proud of the fact you think your dogs are difficult, you love that they dont enjoy interacting with you, and you expect to fail before you even try
You expect to see dominance, stubborness and alloofness, so that colours your observations of what your dogs are doing
You constantly put yourself down and say you are not that smart - yet you think you are able to cope with a far more smart challanging breed than the rest of us can - and train them to a higher level than anyone else with the breed, ignore the advice of experts in northern breeds and think in a short time you can have a perfect recal when others cannot
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Yup, I agree with everything you say Ben!!

I do love the fact that my choice of breed are difficult, I don't expect them to be difficult, they just ARE!! I have to say that I was very disappointed when we took on Tai, I remember crying in bed one morning saying to my OH that we had made a dreadful mistake, that Tai was a lovely dog and I would of course keep him and give him a good home and love him, but he was nothing like Hal, he was too good. Very unfair of me I know, because every dog is different, and it was doing both dogs a disservice to compare like this, but I am only human, and am not perfect.

I am not smart, which is why I consider I am good with animals. My OH is smart, very smart, but he does not have the way with animals - in particular dogs and horses - that I do. Dogs just make a beeline for me, and I have had many owners say things like oh my dog doesn't like women, or my dog doesn't like strangers, but the dog has approached me and is saying hello without me even looking at it. I actually believe I might have some sort of autistic spectrum disorder, possibly ADHD like my daughter, and often people with ASD's have a greater affinity with animals than "ordinary" people.

You are wrong though about just one thing - me not liking my dogs to interact with me. Hal interacted with me, he just didn't with strangers, but with us even he didn't like being stroked or petted, he would tolerate it, but he didn't enjoy it. But he loved to interact in different ways, with play, chasing sticks, going out on bike rides, chasing sticks, he was like a normal dog in that respect. He just was so aloof, and internalised his feelings. I loved that, it was like when someone smiles at you who normally never smiles, but suddenly they smile - at YOU!! it is like the sun has come out.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-03-2011, 04:01 PM
Lovely dog, shame about the collar though.

It would have been nice to see this blog on your success with him, without having to use such methods .
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 04:11 PM
Thank you Jackbox, so far it's all success
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 04:17 PM
gnasher, I mean the fact that you say they never wag their tails at you
I do find that sad. I know what you mean about the suddenly smile at you think - like I say thats what I felt the first time Mia wagged her tail at me - and it did take a while
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Tai does!

Ben doesn't - not because he isn't happy, but often wolf crosses don't wag their tails, it's a wolf thing.

They do with their own kind - dogs - but not with humans. It does not mean there is anything wrong,
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Did you miss my post about what a great idea it was to meet up down here----then we can try the shock collar out on you or your OH----as it doesn't hurt you won't mind that at all will you?

rune
Closed Thread
Page 6 of 47 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »