Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
How did you get Flynn to not chase waterfowl? I don't want him to try it with a swan or a goose. I know I need him to get a good recall and I am going over it loads with him.
I guess by not paying attention to them myself, just totally ignoring them and treating them like part of the furniture and if the dogs do take too much interest then I just reinforce the fact I want them to leave such things alone (by using the "Ah! Ah!" noise or telling them to leave).

Feather isnt a problem for me anyway as the dogs are clever enough to realise birds take to the air out of reach but fur is a different story.

You may find Louie grows out of chasing birds once he realises he's wasting his time. Flynn was terrible when he was young, he'd take to the water himself trying to catch ducks, he'd leap in the air trying to catch pheasants but experience showed him it was pointless so he doesnt try anymore.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
I guess by not paying attention to them myself, just totally ignoring them and treating them like part of the furniture and if the dogs do take too much interest then I just reinforce the fact I want them to leave such things alone (by using the "Ah! Ah!" noise or telling them to leave).

Feather isnt a problem for me anyway as the dogs are clever enough to realise birds take to the air out of reach but fur is a different story.

You may find Louie grows out of chasing birds once he realises he's wasting his time. Flynn was terrible when he was young, he'd take to the water himself trying to catch ducks, he'd leap in the air trying to catch pheasants but experience showed him it was pointless so he doesnt try anymore.
Yeaah I guess so - I think the bigger problem is that Sadie and Benjie both do it still - Sadie just likes to run, bounce and bark, Benjie the same...Maybe he needs to hang out with Flynn more lol
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Nooooooooo! I wouldnt suggest he hang out with Flynn too often, he could pick up even more bad habits!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Nooooooooo! I wouldnt suggest he hang out with Flynn too often, he could pick up even more bad habits!
I suppose you're right - I like my quiet dogs
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 06:04 PM
In Flynn's defence, he isnt as noisy as you may think he is. When it's just the 4 of us we dont hear a peep and if he's with dogs he feels comfortable with he's fine.

For him, barking at other dogs or when there are other dogs around him whom he is unsure of, is his way of telling them to stay away. He doesnt like alot of commotion going off around him neither so when there are lots of strange dogs he gets insecure and barking is his way of dealing with that.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 06:10 PM
In Flynn's defence, he isnt as noisy as you may think he is. When it's just the 4 of us we dont hear a peep and if he's with dogs he feels comfortable with he's fine.

For him, barking at other dogs or when there are other dogs around him whom he is unsure of, is his way of telling them to stay away. He doesnt like alot of commotion going off around him neither so when there are lots of strange dogs he gets insecure and barking is his way of dealing with that.
I was joking - I don't mind his barking really, Benjie's is much worse!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
Find a new toy that represents the target the dog used to chase (or still does) has to act like the target - EG: Birds = Frisbee

I'm not sure this one is an option, unless he has any ideas what I replace a car with!
something you roll fast along the grass? Maybe start with rolling rather than throwing a ball? Like on a tarmac cycle path, tennis court...?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I think the value of Play isn`t generally recognised enough in dog training - whereas in teaching children it is seen as crucial. In Play you set new rules and boundaries in a non-threatening way. You allow for exploring of possibilities. Learning is facilitated because possibilities are endless.
Play with your dog and you become the most interesting thing in his life.
yep, I have to say, reading this, one of the first things that I thought of was that after getting Loui interested in a toy, HE automatically changed from chasing dogs to chasing the toy and the more he chased the toy, the more he wanted to stay with me (who played with the toy, decided when the toy was around..LETand ENCOURAGED him to run after his toy, praised his 'chase'/play) HE learned for himself that running was great, then learned that actually running after certain things was better than others. I also taught him to leave rabbits early on. I would take him to a place nearby where there were loads of rabbits in spring crossing your path and just repeat leave as they went past ('good leave') with him on lead. That was worthwhile.

Think if you are generally rewarding the dog as much as possible (when appropriate) playing and having fun with the dog in open areas, then eventually (and alongside maturity) after the toy has been fun, YOU are fun and you are worth listening to and being with you is more fun than anything else, pleasing you is a reward in itself.

Not sure if other people see it this way or not?
Just my thoughts as I was going through the posts. I'm not sure I like the disgust idea though, for a few reasons.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-03-2011, 08:12 PM
David Ryan appears to be on the same wavelength as angela stockdale.

she too believes that during her training the dog should be comprehensively denied stimulus to get its arenaline and hormones levels down.
meaning they literally dont leave the garden apart from driving to her sessions.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
David Ryan appears to be on the same wavelength as angela stockdale.

she too believes that during her training the dog should be comprehensively denied stimulus to get its arenaline and hormones levels down.
meaning they literally dont leave the garden apart from driving to her sessions.
Oh I didn't get that from his book. My dogs will never be like hers, if that is the case.
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »