Female 

05-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Thought I knew the name . A good bloke.
http://news.crosskeysbooks.com/tag/heelwork-to-music/
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2011, 09:02 AM
Attila is good. I don't think a behaviourist necessarily has to be APBC, but the problem is that very few owners know how to pick a good one, or even where to find one!
So they are a good place to start.

It's a minefield out there, with too many "whisperers" and dog botherers
These days it's good if they have done theory and practical.

COAPE are sometimes a good bet too

Wys
x
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2011, 09:17 AM
In the beginning to be APBC all you needed was a degree in anything and the first John Fisher led qualification-----so some of the members who got in this way leave a bit to be desired.

I think it is more stringent now.

rune
Kiing
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Just finished the session with Attila, it was really good - we know where we're going from here and what we have to do now, so it was more than worth it.

Anton had a great time too - no barking or snapping, and he got plenty of treats.

We'll be seeing Attila again in a few weeks so that he can check Anton's progress.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 11:35 AM
FAB, Attila is a very very clever, knowledgeable man.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 12:14 PM
That's great What exercises did you do? (having a fear reactive dog I be interested to know what you're trying )

wishing the best to you and Anton, fingers crossed this will work
Kiing
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
That's great What exercises did you do? (having a fear reactive dog I be interested to know what you're trying )

wishing the best to you and Anton, fingers crossed this will work
We started out by letting Attila into the house with Anton in the living room - we then let Anton out of the living room and he went over to sniff Attila, who immediately began to click and then throw treats across the room. He progressed so that Anton only got a click and thrown treat for sitting. After this had been going on for a few minutes, Attila clicked, threw a few treats across the room and sat down at the table so that we could discuss history, etc. Anton was interested in his treat bag, but did not show any signs of stress.

Attila then showed us how to desensitise Anton to being handled by strangers by setting Anton up to touch his hand with his chin - whenever Anton's chin touched Attila's hand, he clicked and treated. He did a few repititions of this.

He also showed us how to desensitise him to eye contact, by getting eye contact with Anton for a moment and clicking and treating. He also gave us tips on how to control Anton when people are at the door by making him stay on his bed - we tried this out a few times with Attila leaving, then ringing the doorbell and reentering - Anton was clicked and treated for remaining on his bed.

He said that, overall, given the right management and training, Anton will be possible to control in the house with visitors. It's given us a lot of confidence in dealing with Anton's problems, so we're very pleased.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Attila is good. I don't think a behaviourist necessarily has to be APBC, but the problem is that very few owners know how to pick a good one, or even where to find one!
So they are a good place to start.

It's a minefield out there, with too many "whisperers" and dog botherers
These days it's good if they have done theory and practical.

COAPE are sometimes a good bet too

Wys
x
I've done some of the COAPE courses leading up tot he Advanced Diploma although I'm not fully qualified. I did it out of curiosity and an interest as opposed to a career change. but yes, I can vouch for COAPE courses. Very in-depth adn relevant info.

Originally Posted by Kiing View Post
Just finished the session with Attila, it was really good - we know where we're going from here and what we have to do now, so it was more than worth it.

Anton had a great time too - no barking or snapping, and he got plenty of treats.

We'll be seeing Attila again in a few weeks so that he can check Anton's progress.
Fantastic news. Keep up the good work. Well done.
Page 7 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7