View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 08:40 PM
If I were you, the OH would now be an EX OH!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Ignoring all the crap about "you haven't got wolf crosses", these dogs, whatever you want to call them, are very different. They are smart, they think laterally, you say "jump" and they will say "how high, but btw, what's in it for me, and I don't mean a bloody biscuit!!".

If this collar had not worked IMMEDIATELY, I would not have allowed OH to continue - although what he does when I'm not there, I have no control over of course. All I know is the dog I saw in Harlestone Firs on Sunday was a vision - it was as if he had become his father reincarnated. All the joy, the exuberance, the Ben-ness was there bursting with delight in the pouring rain and mud! The first time I whistled him and called Come, he came belting back to me and skidded to a sit right in front of me and almost knocked me off my feet! He roamed for miles that day, in and out of the trees, in and out of muddy puddles, we never had to use the collar, not once. That's how it should be. I could not have stood seeing him being zapped, even though I know it is only a static shock, NOT electrical current. I am a girl, I don't understand the difference, to me if it hurts, then it hurts and I don't care what it's called. Do you think I would want to have my husband HURT my beloved Ben if I didn't think it was necessary.

No, I am not prepared to say on a public forum what we have gone through, but if anybody is interested I will tell them in a PM on the understanding that it is done on trust.
and you think i know nothing bout these types of dogs??? really???
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 08:42 PM
Ignoring all the crap about "you haven't got wolf crosses", these dogs, whatever you want to call them, are very different. They are smart, they think laterally, you say "jump" and they will say "how high, but btw, what's in it for me, and I don't mean a bloody biscuit!!".

If this collar had not worked IMMEDIATELY, I would not have allowed OH to continue - although what he does when I'm not there, I have no control over of course. All I know is the dog I saw in Harlestone Firs on Sunday was a vision - it was as if he had become his father reincarnated. All the joy, the exuberance, the Ben-ness was there bursting with delight in the pouring rain and mud! The first time I whistled him and called Come, he came belting back to me and skidded to a sit right in front of me and almost knocked me off my feet! He roamed for miles that day, in and out of the trees, in and out of muddy puddles, we never had to use the collar, not once. That's how it should be. I could not have stood seeing him being zapped, even though I know it is only a static shock, NOT electrical current. I am a girl, I don't understand the difference, to me if it hurts, then it hurts and I don't care what it's called. Do you think I would want to have my husband HURT my beloved Ben if I didn't think it was necessary.

No, I am not prepared to say on a public forum what we have gone through, but if anybody is interested I will tell them in a PM on the understanding that it is done on trust.
To be honest - if you cannot state it publicly I can't see the reason in asking you.

You have proved to me SO many time on here how you lie about your dogs. I cannot see a reason to trust you anymore.

You have truly shocked me to the very core by treating a dog who has placed trust in you this way.

I hope to GOD you never get your hands on a Saarloos.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
that is change his very heritage and makeup!!

how many times have you been on here saying sibes and their crosses can be let off??

how many people tried to advise you,people that know?

who are you actually doing this for?

safe enclosed areas..they can be found!!

you have really saddened me ,but not as i said surprised me at all
You just have not read my post - I SAID we have consulted behaviourists and trainers, none of whom I knew personally actually.

Safe enclosed areas? Not round here, that are sheep-free. Safe for Tai, who is reasonably good, but not Ben.

I am sorry I have saddened you - I saddened myself until I saw Ben in the woods on Sunday, and then I KNEW I had done the right thing.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
and you think i know nothing bout these types of dogs??? really???
I wasn't talking about you Tupacs!! Don't be so big-headed!!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 08:44 PM
I am merely trying to show that in EXTREME - very extreme - cases, an e collar may be justified.
6 months of poor recall is NOT an extreme case. Plenty of adolescent dogs lose their recall for months, but you don't see us jumping up recommending e-collars. 6 months is nothing to a dog and long lines, secure fields, etc. are a minor inconvenience that you put up with for as long as it takes to train a good recall.

BEN WAS NOT HURT!! OH apparently (and I believe him) had to give him a maximum strength "nip" before he let out a yelp. That's all, he didn't freak, he didn't scream, he didn't bolt, he just went ouch and returned to his master, full of the joys of spring.
Yelp = "Ow!", of course it hurt. The reason he went bounding back to his master so quickly was because something scary and unknown just zapped him, he wanted reassurance and wasn't sure if that zap was coming again. Well done, you can scare your dog back to you, but don't try to pass that off as joy.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
To be honest - if you cannot state it publicly I can't see the reason in asking you.

You have proved to me SO many time on here how you lie about your dogs. I cannot see a reason to trust you anymore.

You have truly shocked me to the very core by treating a dog who has placed trust in you this way.

I hope to GOD you never get your hands on a Saarloos.
I lied to protect my beloved boy. Anybody who did not do that lost their dogs pre the lifting of the ban.

And don't tell me "oh well, I wouldn't have a dog that was illegal". That is smug and trite and I'll come and smack you in the mouth!!

If you had been offered your beautiful and beloved Zeff BEFORE the ban, I bet you would not have said sanctimoniously "o no, I couldn't possibly have him because I would have to tell a lie about his origins!"
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Well done! I'm impressed totally impressed. That my first instinct was right!!
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 08:49 PM
We have tried everything LS, you know me, I would NEVER be cruel to a dog. It was this, or he would have to be rehomed. And believe me, there are not many people who would have put up with what we have gone through over the last 6 months.
Ok I give up. Why would you have to rehome him? Because you refuse to put a leash on him until he learns a solid recall? This is ridiculous.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 08:49 PM
I lied to protect my beloved boy. Anybody who did not do that lost their dogs pre the lifting of the ban.

And don't tell me "oh well, I wouldn't have a dog that was illegal". That is smug and trite and I'll come and smack you in the mouth!!

If you had been offered your beautiful and beloved Zeff BEFORE the ban, I bet you would not have said sanctimoniously "o no, I couldn't possibly have him because I would have to tell a lie about his origins!"
Nikki - the person who bred your dog lied to YOU by your own admittance...multiple times, until she told you the version of the lie you wanted her to. That says it all.

...and no - I would not have taken on Zeff if I have known he was illegal - because I would not have been looking in the first place.
Closed Thread
Page 6 of 83 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 56 > Last »