Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
Just wanted to thankyou once again for all the advice n help. Had a breakthrough this afternoon(hope is not a one off), a woman we know apppeared with her dog, my dog ran up to greet them and then back to me. When they caught us up(not far away) i got my dog to sit next to me and wait whilst we said hello, then i praised n gave a treat. We managed to carry on walking chatting for a few minutes, no frantic picking up of twigs n the dogs went short distance sniffing n doing their thing. I was amazed n felt so relieved(maybe it is me that has been too tense when it happens). Will keep doing the same and hopefully it will work. I can't thankyou all enough and am going to order the books also
Thank you for the update and well done.
Just keep giving the dog a job, taking deep breaths and thinking calm thoughts

Just a suggestion based on what you said today, so I may have missed it before, but your dog may be better if you are walking and talking, so your dog isn't frustrated at not progressing, rather than if you are stationary for too long?
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2010, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
Thank you for the update and well done.
Just keep giving the dog a job, taking deep breaths and thinking calm thoughts

Just a suggestion based on what you said today, so I may have missed it before, but your dog may be better if you are walking and talking, so your dog isn't frustrated at not progressing, rather than if you are stationary for too long?
Thankyou so much. Some folk like to stand talking to other dog walkers but i have never been one of them for various reasons. Sometimes it is only polite and nice if get on with them ok to have a few words without shouting 'leave it' and being worried about dog, not just the behaviour but frutration at not knowing why it's happening(had an idea but never had this before). Think you are right about the 'keeping moving'
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2011, 02:31 PM
It's started again Even if we keep moving or put her on lead, sorry but please can anyone advise further, many thanks
H

ps i know it's my fault.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2011, 05:26 PM
Am going to have to start walking at night or very first light n try avoid any other dog walkers if can't sort this out, which isn't ideal. Please does anyone have any further ideas or suggestions at all? Have never had this problem before.
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 08:28 PM
No suggestions but what happens if you stop and sit on a bench when you're walking? Or stop and look at a map? or stop and redo a shoelace?

What does she do if you take her out with a friend (human!) - is that fine?

I Know nothing - just curious.

Edit: Sorry the "I'm just curios" came out wrong!
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 08:05 AM
Hi Sosha
thanks for your reply
if i stop to sit down, she sits with me, if we're walking on pavements n someone stops us, she sits or lays down(sometimes has a bit of a sniff about first). If we meet anyone on our morning walk she starts the grabbing and chewing at things(sticks, grass etc.), even if put on lead now, she's very crafty n quick. This sounds very grumpy but i prefer a quiet walk in the mornings, just me and my dog (for various reasons)but a couple of people like to walk and chat, if we see them(they are nice) n it would be impolite not to really n the dogs enjoy meeting up.
Originally Posted by Sosha View Post
No suggestions but what happens if you stop and sit on a bench when you're walking? Or stop and look at a map? or stop and redo a shoelace?

What does she do if you take her out with a friend (human!) - is that fine?

I Know nothing - just curious.

Edit: Sorry the "I'm just curios" came out wrong!
Am not surprised your curious, it's baffling me
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3