View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 05:57 PM
The dog isn't a collie and the owner doesn't switch off but is watching the dog all the time, trying to be polite to whoever stops to say hello at the same time. Some of the other dog owners know it's bit of a problem so understand, another owner has the same problem with their dog too(different breed). It's really baffling the owner(s) who wants very much to understand what's going on. The dog is very well exercised, cared for, not over indulged or fussed(very much loved) came from rescue and has overcome many things from past. Thankyou, all help and advice is much appreciated
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 06:24 PM
From the dogs point of view shes switched off.

She maybe shouldnt be entertaining so much on a walk & teach the dog a sollid down stay.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 06:27 PM
To add if the first time the dog did it , it got laughed at etc that may have encorgaged it, Now even a negative reaction from the owner is still attention, Shes better off doing something with it that she can praise or putting it on the lead
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
From the dogs point of view shes switched off.

She maybe shouldnt be entertaining so much on a walk & teach the dog a sollid down stay.
Switched off altogether or just when someone else comes along? n entertaining the dog too much or person stopping to say hello?, sorry am bit confused(it isn't difficult, please don't take offence)
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 06:38 PM
To add if the first time the dog did it , it got laughed at etc that may have encorgaged it, Now even a negative reaction from the owner is still attention, Shes better off doing something with it that she can praise or putting it on the lead
Sorry was replying as you posted. Other owners have laughed and 'reved the dog up' but think have got the message that this is frowned upon by owner now and have stopped(mostly), has put on lead and tried everything without understanding
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
Switched off altogether or just when someone else comes along? n entertaining the dog too much or person stopping to say hello?, sorry am bit confused(it isn't difficult, please don't take offence)
From the dogs pov she switches off when a new person comes along, even if she is still watching

I think if she enertains abit less when walking with no distractions, ie let the dog get used to doing its own thing sometimes, then it will learn to be happier when she does stop to talk, idadd a command onto this, "go play"

Make more sense?
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
It took a long time to get Daisy to accept people talking to me outside. She would get very upset. I stood at a good distance from them with her in a sit behind me, rewarding her when calm (onlead). With her it was about control of space. As a GSD she is happiest beside me but the incursion of a stranger was threatening.
She`s fine now.
My point being that the clue to the behaviour is probably in the dogs general attitude. What do you have problems with apart from this?
Thankyou CnD will get back regarding this if that ok

From the dogs pov she switches off when a new person comes along, even if she is still watching

I think if she enertains abit less when walking with no distractions, ie let the dog get used to doing its own thing sometimes, then it will learn to be happier when she does stop to talk, idadd a command onto this, "go play"

Make more sense?
Thankyou it does
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 09:09 PM
I would agree with the replies so far, that it sounds like either displacement or attention seeking but what you say about the owner keep watching the dog and not talking (i.e focused on the dog rather than the conversation?) implies to me that maybe the owner is not relaxed in that situation?
If so that can also influence the dog to be less relaxed and you end up with a catch22 dog not relaxed- stresses owner, stressed owner stresses dog-stressed dog stresses owner etc.

The dog does this for some reason, fathoming out the motivation/reward reasons would be a good starting point in terms of how to resolve it.

It could be tension release i.e displacement, where frustration at being in one area sounds most likely?

Attention seeking when owner's attention is not solely and actively on it?

Very quickly bored and seeking something to do?

Any of these can be the original trigger with learnt behaviour and intrinsic reward then maintaining it.

What happens if the owner moves away? Does the dog immediately calm down? Is the dog generally doing something when it is just the owner and the dog?

Could it be diverted onto a wait-and-fetch with something so the owner can train a stationary wait, reward with fetch, which also gives a chance to intermittently run off frustration, to prevent it escalating, and gradually build the wait so the dog learns to be more settled?

At present it sound almost like a compulsive behaviour, , triggered by that specific situation, which is often a stress-related coping mechanism but very difficult to say without seeing it .
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
I would agree with the replies so far, that it sounds like either displacement or attention seeking but what you say about the owner keep watching the dog and not talking (i.e focused on the dog rather than the conversation?) implies to me that maybe the owner is not relaxed in that situation?
If so that can also influence the dog to be less relaxed and you end up with a catch22 dog not relaxed- stresses owner, stressed owner stresses dog-stressed dog stresses owner etc.

The dog does this for some reason, fathoming out the motivation/reward reasons would be a good starting point in terms of how to resolve it.

It could be tension release i.e displacement, where frustration at being in one area sounds most likely?

Attention seeking when owner's attention is not solely and actively on it?

Very quickly bored and seeking something to do?

Any of these can be the original trigger with learnt behaviour and intrinsic reward then maintaining it.

What happens if the owner moves away? Does the dog immediately calm down? Is the dog generally doing something when it is just the owner and the dog?

Could it be diverted onto a wait-and-fetch with something so the owner can train a stationary wait, reward with fetch, which also gives a chance to intermittently run off frustration, to prevent it escalating, and gradually build the wait so the dog learns to be more settled?

At present it sound almost like a compulsive behaviour, , triggered by that specific situation, which is often a stress-related coping mechanism but very difficult to say without seeing it .
Thankyou everyone, and hands up it is my dog but with another dog owner(sorry still don't like that, a dog is never owned, jmo?)going through the same was trying to keep neutral. I have tried to stay relaxed(tried all sorts, it is my failing, am just not getting it) but my dog was seriously ill not long ago, she is so good for the most part, even with cat's, we've been working on it and post man, is lot better, advice from here, thankyou. I've never known a dog like her n folk comment how well she's come on, is a tough one for me in a way n something new.
Many thanks once again for all advice n help.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Just wanted to thankyou once again for all the advice n help. Had a breakthrough this afternoon(hope is not a one off), a woman we know apppeared with her dog, my dog ran up to greet them and then back to me. When they caught us up(not far away) i got my dog to sit next to me and wait whilst we said hello, then i praised n gave a treat. We managed to carry on walking chatting for a few minutes, no frantic picking up of twigs n the dogs went short distance sniffing n doing their thing. I was amazed n felt so relieved(maybe it is me that has been too tense when it happens). Will keep doing the same and hopefully it will work. I can't thankyou all enough and am going to order the books also
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >