View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 12:25 PM

"Click to Calm: Healing the Aggressive Dog" By Emma Parsons...

I am about halfway through this book, and am SOOOO glad I added it to my collection!!! I am throughly impressed by the knowledge and personal experience shown by the Author. I have been told many times to buy the book, but I was never able to find it in the book store, but I finally ordered it from Chapters... it took 3 weeks, but it's FINALLY here!

I'm already doing alot of what she talks about, with Oliver, but she adds alot more to my level of understanding WHY I need to do this. It'll also aid me in working with rehabbing my resource guarding new little deaf dachshund. I've read Karen Pryor's book "Reaching the Animal Mind" previously, wich really strengthened my understanding of Clicker Training. This author was a student of Karen Pryor's.

I use clicker training techniques for all my dogs, but it's amazing with my reactive dog. I cant put the book down!!! I am constantly having lightbulb moments!

Anyone working with an aggressive dog should read this book!!!!!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 12:39 PM
I tried Clicker training Daisy. She thought the clicker was toy and kept trying to eat it and ignored the treat.
I switched to toys.
Sounds like a great book though.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I tried Clicker training Daisy. She thought the clicker was toy and kept trying to eat it and ignored the treat.
I switched to toys.
Sounds like a great book though.
Ha Ha! Sounds like my attempt to "clicker train" Scout with a light.... she kept trying to find the light and chase it! LOL So Scout get's a thumbs-up instead! Mouse and Boo are being clicker trained with the light tho... but I have to take them in a room away from Scout, or she cant hold her stay... LOL
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 12:48 PM
I recently lent my copy to a gentleman who comes training with a DA Border terrier.
He was very Anti clicker training, but after one sessions and seeing how well his dog responded, I lent him the book.....he turned up to training the next week having ordered his own!

Glad you are enjoying it
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I recently lent my copy to a gentleman who comes training with a DA Border terrier.
He was very Anti clicker training, but after one sessions and seeing how well his dog responded, I lent him the book.....he turned up to training the next week having ordered his own!

Glad you are enjoying it
Every trainer should add this book to their arsonal! I am amazed by the number of "old School" trainers who wont give clicker training the light of day! There is a trainer at the local pet store, who is "old School" in alot of her ways. Even though the pet store mandates the way she needs to train. i have made it my goal to change her mind... I lent he my copy of Reaching the Animal Mind... she had alot of good to say about it, but didn't feel it taught her anything (how could it NOT???) but I'll lend her this one, when I'm done. She doesn't like the way I train and work with Oliver, she subscribes to "pack theory" for the most part, but in a gentle way, if you know what I'm saying.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 04:57 PM
I have this book too! Found it very helpful.

I was walking my 2 yesterday at Blickling Hall in Norfolk (National Trust) and there was a lady with a GSD puppy which sounded off at them. Cherry decided to retaliate so there we both were using our "watch me" command getting our dogs' attention and then we both clicked our clickers simultaneously! Quite funny.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 06:53 PM
I've Bern tempting to give this book a go, the only thing that's stopped ms is that Cain has little interest in treats outside of the house so the clicker has limited effectiveness with him for him reactivity - although I use the clicker at home and in class. He likes squeaky balls so u try and use that, food would be much easier though!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2010, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
I've Bern tempting to give this book a go, the only thing that's stopped ms is that Cain has little interest in treats outside of the house so the clicker has limited effectiveness with him for him reactivity - although I use the clicker at home and in class. He likes squeaky balls so u try and use that, food would be much easier though!
Don't get hung up on the fact the dog has to have a food reward after the clicker.....the click has to be followed by something the dogs enjoys or wants......not always food
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2010, 09:37 AM
Don't get hung up on the fact the dog has to have a food reward after the clicker.....the click has to be followed by something the dogs enjoys or wants......not always food
and the book talks about that. it talks about finding what the dog wants most, and listening to the dog. Some dogs are happier to work for a pat, some a toy or ball, and some food... it's all about the dog.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2010, 09:37 AM
This. I've had some success clicker training Rupe outside of the house simply by clicking and then releasing him to go sniff for a moment. He doesn't want food, he doesn't want a toy but he most certainly does want to sniff.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >