Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2010, 04:10 PM

'He keeps biting'

Dad is getting a bit anoying with this. Jack keeps mouthing him but dad says he's biting I've told him to tell him off for it but when he does he wouldn't even scare a fly. He doesn't listen so of course Jack continues and I need to step in to tell him off properly. Most the time he listens and stops for awhile but soon starts again. It's asif dad's doing it to wind us up because he keeps sticking his arm out and letting Jack do it. He won't listen to me when I say he has to be stricter so what else can I do?

My friend's dog was always mouthing at this age and I was the only one to ever tell him off for it so he's grown up just wanting to mouth at 2 years old!
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 04:14 PM
When my puppy used to mouth I made it very clear it hurt and let out a 'yelp' got up and walked away. Puppies soon realise that if they bite, the game/ interaction stops, so will learn that if they want you to stay, they must not bite
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
When my puppy used to mouth I made it very clear it hurt and let out a 'yelp' got up and walked away. Puppies soon realise that if they bite, the game/ interaction stops, so will learn that if they want you to stay, they must not bite
but I think the problem is her Dad is still keeping the 'game' going by allowing it?

I think the dog will probably learn that he can mouth one person - your Dad.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 04:44 PM
I would stop the contact between Dad and Pup - if Dad cannot listen then you need to teach the pup how to ignore him.
Move him away if he approaches, and teach him how to ignore.

I would not be telling him off for it - as this is obviously giving him exactly what he wants (the attention). I would move him away and have a time out session if it is persisting too much.
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Bruce is 7 months and mouths a lot! Some days he is much worse than others. I try to ignore it but remove my arm, chin or anything else he has managed to latch on too!
Husband says it's my fault because I 'let' him do it! I don't! I just don't like or agree with smacking him hard on the nose.

Let's hope your Dad stops your dog mouthing and realises it isnt always a good thing, especially if he happens to mouth strangers, like my Bruce has done on a couple of occasions. Some people are fine about it but it can be quite scary especially as he is now a big dog and not a tiny cute puppy!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 04:58 PM
Methinks you need to control your dad, rather than the dog

Wys
x
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Yes I think dad needs to control more too

He was the same with Blu as a pup and Blu can still be mouthy but only with dad but it was so hard to train out of him. At obedience he would start jumping up to mouth me so had to teach him no.

Will try keeping Jack away from dad and when he is near him take him away if he starts (take Jack away ). Maybe he will eventually take the hint and ignore him. Probaly is attention seeking from Jacks side because he just loves attention and cries until he gets it. Pups eh.. Who would have them
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 05:12 PM
and when he is near him take him away if he starts
yeh, just put Dad in a time out since he is the ringleader
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
yeh, just put Dad in a time out since he is the ringleader
Trust me it's tempting at times
Shani
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2010, 06:01 PM
You need to get a clicker & a mars bar or packet of fags, what ever motivates him. Have him put his hands in his pockets, Click & treat. Sit, click & treat. Stand quickly while saying 'no' in a comanding voice, click & treat.