Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Quick point, do use it as high as possible first time, I can't stress this enough.
For positive punishment to work it needs to have a big and immediate effect. If you use it too low he may choose to ignore it or continue to risk the spray.

I doubt its a competition ect, all it is is a rewarding behaviour that won't respond to alternative rewards because its too rewarding. Sometimes we can over analyis our dogs too much.

Adam
Yes, I feel it is a natural desire to eat.
Nothing to do with attention, owner stress or diet. My main concern is that when eating stools his digestion gets messed up.

Some people have suggested putting Tabasco hot sauce on the faeces. That is intended as an aversive. Citronella is a nasty smelling liquid. Not too dissimilar.
The point of the citronella is that taste in a dog is very much in synch with their sense of smell. Therefore, of course, I wouldnt try a shock collar (I can say it). This is where people take things out of context. OMG, a remote collar! Well, it's citronella, he is a confident dog and my timing will be pretty good.
JIMMY LAW
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Rune, i have used the colar for a year because at times you will think, brilliant the dogs cracked it and you take the collar off, and three days down the line the dog will be munching on a nice pile of poo, so you and your dog go back a week. Every dog is different and going to have a different reaction time to the collar. I could go a month without useing it and then reverting back after a spate of munching.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
Yes, I feel it is a natural desire to eat.
Nothing to do with attention, owner stress or diet. My main concern is that when eating stools his digestion gets messed up.

Some people have suggested putting Tabasco hot sauce on the faeces. That is intended as an aversive. Citronella is a nasty smelling liquid. Not too dissimilar.
The point of the citronella is that taste in a dog is very much in synch with their sense of smell. Therefore, of course, I wouldnt try a shock collar (I can say it). This is where people take things out of context. OMG, a remote collar! Well, it's citronella, he is a confident dog and my timing will be pretty good.
Unless you can directly see what your dog is eating (ie; the dog is right next to you), how do you propose to correct him at the 'right' time?

Sorry, but the whole idea of using a spray collar on a young 6 month old puppy makes me uncomfortable. Particularly when despite what you say, getting the timing right with such a piece of equipment when the puppy is off lead and not near you isn't exactly easy.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 10:07 PM
I too have a poo eating dog (she is now 8 and has done it all her life - if she gets chance). It is vile, but I have been assured it is "normal" behaviour. Gundogs seem particularly fond of poo gobbling. The best I have been able to do about it is to continually use the leave it command and to distract her in various ways. It does spoil off-lead walks if we go where there are other dogs and I do get angry and curse the owners who let their dog poo anywhere and don't pick up. I don't think it is anything to do with a lack of nutrients or anything else. The problem is that she actually likes doing it - its a delicacy to her. She will leave it when told to, but it is only until the next pile, so I am continually saying leave it.

I am not sure if a collar would work or not - its not something I would be happy to use myself.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 10:11 PM
... just an observation.... the three people on this thread that want /advise to use a 'tool' on a 6 month old puppy are male.. is it a patience thing?.. honest question.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by JIMMY LAW View Post
Rune, i have used the colar for a year because at times you will think, brilliant the dogs cracked it and you take the collar off, and three days down the line the dog will be munching on a nice pile of poo, so you and your dog go back a week. Every dog is different and going to have a different reaction time to the collar. I could go a month without useing it and then reverting back after a spate of munching.
Don't know why that is aimed at me but if you are still using it after a year it ain't working!!

Maybe you should look at another method?

rune
JIMMY LAW
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-10-2010, 10:19 PM
Gun dogs, scent hounds are well known for doing this gross behaviour, but if i can reduce it with a whoosh of air whats the difference with you shouting leave and permanetley on their case. The dog does not no where its coming from, at no point does the dog know its coming from you, and thats why it works, because the dog can only recognise the spray with the the poo.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by JIMMY LAW View Post
. why not teach an instant down? Sorry Tupac not all breeds have that sort of mentality. I would love to see a person who can do a " instant down " on their scent hound.
There is a girl whpo works beagles at agility, obedience and working trials. She has had one from a pup and one was a rescue. She uses reward based training and she sure as hell can do an instant down and a lot more with her hounds.

It does however require patience and training.

rune
JIMMY LAW
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Tupacs... If you read my posts you would have seen that i had struggled for at least two years before i started useing the collar and also i said that most puppys would grow out of it.......
JIMMY LAW
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-10-2010, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
There is a girl whpo works beagles at agility, obedience and working trials. She has had one from a pup and one was a rescue. She uses reward based training and she sure as hell can do an instant down and a lot more with her hounds.

It does however require patience and training.

rune
Yeah, i dont put anytime into my dogs, i find that quite insulting.
Page 4 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »