View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 07:12 PM
I have a Labrador (who is now 7 1/2 years old) that is a poo eater. He eats both his own and other dogs and has done since he was a pup.

Believe me when I say I have tried every trick in the book (both positive and negative) to try and get him to stop. I tried muzzles, extensive work on the 'LEAVE IT!' command, feeding him pineapple/digestive enzymes/seaweed, water pistols, Pet Corrector sprays, calling him back every time to 'trade' for a treat....everything...and none of it worked.

I would not use a spray collar purely from the perspective that timing it would be incredibly difficult. I don't know about your dog, but I know mine spend a lot of time nose to the ground sniffing and munching on grass and other delights. Although I don't really want them to be poo eating, scavenging in general is normal dog behaviour and is obviously something I don't mind. Unless you were literally right there next to them at all times, how would you know you were correcting them for the right thing? I'd hate to 'spray' my dogs by mistake for displaying normal behaviour such as eating grass.

A couple of things I have learnt from my poo eater of 7 years + in the making:

He improved a lot with age. When he was young he was ravenous and uncontrollable with poo eating to the point were I could not let him off the lead in areas where other dogs had been. When he matured and slowed down a bit after 3 + years of age, he naturally became less obsessive.

A MASSIVE contributor to his behaviour was attention seeking. Even though it was negative attention, it was attention none the less. I so wish I had realized this before I spent every walk watching his every move and correcting him, stressing myself out in process. When I took a big step back and pretty much ignored the behaviour, I noticed a huge difference in amount of poo he ate on walks.
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-10-2010, 08:05 PM
..it's not a competition to see who gets to the poo first, when I'm around he will avoid it, although he circulates towards it a little. Games are great but they are not practical at, say 11pm. He is v hungry and has no play drive sometimes.

I have never reprimanded him for eating it, I am always very neutral.

His diet appears fine. He has done this from day one and never grown out of it. Only now, he has insatiable hunger caused by the steroids.

'Leave' does work but he is wise enough to figure out that if I am not around then it can be a free meal.

I have two dogs which makes it harder and I can't always watch their every action, it's just not real life.

Faeces can contain germs that are not just harmful to him but also to the little children that run up to give him a cuddle!

It's easy to say 'don't use a remote collar' but in real life it's not always so black and white. I am very carefully considering it and am aware of the fall-out that can occur but the possible fall-out maybe more acceptable than the current behaviour.

Adam thanks for your instructions. The equipment must be used carefully and with prior thought. It is not a knee jerk reaction. It is a situation that has been occurring for over six months.
Jimmy, I would certainly not use the collar if I had to use it for a year. Hopefully the idea would be only to use it in the normal environments once or twice, certainly no more than five times as then it clearly isn't working.

Thanks for your replies. it is unusual for me to consider something like this but sometimes you have to.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
..it's not a competition to see who gets to the poo first, when I'm around he will avoid it, although he circulates towards it a little. Games are great but they are not practical at, say 11pm. He is v hungry and has no play drive sometimes.

I have never reprimanded him for eating it, I am always very neutral.

His diet appears fine. He has done this from day one and never grown out of it. Only now, he has insatiable hunger caused by the steroids.

'Leave' does work but he is wise enough to figure out that if I am not around then it can be a free meal.

I have two dogs which makes it harder and I can't always watch their every action, it's just not real life.

Faeces can contain germs that are not just harmful to him but also to the little children that run up to give him a cuddle!

It's easy to say 'don't use a remote collar' but in real life it's not always so black and white. I am very carefully considering it and am aware of the fall-out that can occur but the possible fall-out maybe more acceptable than the current behaviour.

Adam thanks for your instructions. The equipment must be used carefully and with prior thought. It is not a knee jerk reaction. It is a situation that has been occurring for over six months.
Jimmy, I would certainly not use the collar if I had to use it for a year. Hopefully the idea would be only to use it in the normal environments once or twice, certainly no more than five times as then it clearly isn't working.

Thanks for your replies. it is unusual for me to consider something like this but sometimes you have to.
Nope---you don't have to---it just might make it easier. For your dogs sake I hope it doesn't have any adverse effect.

You might get a hint by noticing that Adam is the only one who thinks it is a good idea!

rune
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 08:39 PM
....... then when the citronella doesnt work will a certain ap suggest a certain tool???

..me thinks its more about you not liking it than germs...dont let your dog lick yourself,or children....or use a basket muzzle(be prepared to wash it a few times at first eww!)
...and worm regularly.

...i also feel that your dog/pup maybe feeling your tension over this.

eta.... wasnt u training as a behaviourist?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 08:43 PM
.. why not teach an instant down?
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

14-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Quick point, do use it as high as possible first time, I can't stress this enough.
For positive punishment to work it needs to have a big and immediate effect. If you use it too low he may choose to ignore it or continue to risk the spray.

I doubt its a competition ect, all it is is a rewarding behaviour that won't respond to alternative rewards because its too rewarding. Sometimes we can over analyis our dogs too much.

Adam
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Quick point, do use it as high as possible first time, I can't stress this enough.
For positive punishment to work it needs to have a big and immediate effect. If you use it too low he may choose to ignore it or continue to risk the spray.

I doubt its a competition ect, all it is is a rewarding behaviour that won't respond to alternative rewards because its too rewarding. Sometimes we can over analyis our dogs too much.

Adam
(omg) i agree!
JIMMY LAW
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-10-2010, 09:39 PM
. why not teach an instant down? Sorry Tupac not all breeds have that sort of mentality. I would love to see a person who can do a " instant down " on their scent hound.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by JIMMY LAW View Post
. why not teach an instant down? Sorry Tupac not all breeds have that sort of mentality. I would love to see a person who can do a " instant down " on their scent hound.
its called a suggestion!!
yes i do know that not all dogs can,dont know till u try!.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
Good idea but it appears food top of his list during most times. Also although play is good for him I want him to sniff around and be a normal dog.
He is already behaving like a normal dog by eating poos. If you can distract him with play and get his attention away from the poos, you could gradually reduce your use of the toys as he gets older and you break the habit.
Page 3 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »