View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2010, 06:44 PM
My hubbie got me a good layperson's book for Christmas called "The 100 silliest things people tell you about dogs" by Alexander Semynova. It debunks the Alpha wolf-pack theory but isn't too "heavy" and you can dip into it as it is split in 100 different mini-chapters.
JessicaPaige
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-04-2010, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Glad you are taking the time to learn and ask

I would find a good training class that uses positive training

As for 'methods'
Basicaly you decide what rules you want and train for them

Do you want your dog to wait at the door - it dosent make them boss if you dont but it makes it easier to get the keys sorted out
Do you want to eat first?? It dosent make the dog think you are the boss but with a puppy it means you are eating 5 times a day

Put simply dogs try things, if something nice happens they do it again, if something bad happens then they dont do it again

If you reward the things you like your dog will be happy and use its brain, you will gain more understanding of the fun individual you have

If you punish the things you dont like then you will spend your days looking for your pup doing the wrong thing. Your pup will be less happy to try new things incase something bad happens

Either method works but I prefer a happy dog who isnt afraid to make mistakes - far more fun
Thanks for being unbiased, i appreciate the support

Plus, a thanks to the other users who suggested some good reading material
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2010, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by JessicaPaige View Post
I know thats something I would not feel comfortable doing and will not be doing so. Possible I should clarify, is it important to step outside before your dog? Or make sure he walks behind/beside you? etc.
No - best thing to teach a pup is manners - walking through a door first is not an issue - walking through politely is what you want.

Best thing is to lay down the rules fairly and stick to them.

Be fair and consistent and have lots of patience - you'll be fine

Good luck with your pup.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2010, 08:52 PM
Congratulations Jessica! Lovely to hear you will be soon having a new addition to the family!

Can I ask what breed you are considering? Any ideas yet?

The Alpha/dominance theory gets a lots of negative response, you and your dog should be best friends!

That said HOWEVER I had to be quite 'firm' with our puppy female Akita, Keisha from an early age she needed constant training and strong consistency. I removed bones from her, she learnt to share her food, toys, chews with our other dog, despit initially growling at the idea. She was very territorial and would run the fence from just a few months old, snarling aggressively (inherent to the breed) We solved the problem by I suppose the cliched theory that 'we are the pack leaders' you don't need to protect us and aggressively fend off any neighbours or visitors, and she was always made to sit behind us quietly, then of course lots of praise given.

It certainly wasn't harsh or cruel, it was just leading her in the right direction, positive, clear leadership, we are their teachers at such a young age afterall. I have assessed Akitas up for rehoming that 'own' their own homes, prowling round the room, threatening people who dare come close to the children in the family - whilst the dozy owner fusses it, reinforcing such behaviour and thats all it's known since puppyhood - duh! The poor dog has never been taught this ISN'T their role!

Again, Keisha learnt not to go through gates or the front door first, and walk by our side on lead, not because 'we are boss of you' but because when she gets infront and another dog approached she used to puff her chest out and want to take anything on, anxiously, but when walking beside me was more relaxed.

For the amount of 'training' she got, she got 10 times more play and cuddles though, of course!

To me this way of training her young was just being responsible for my dog, Akitas are huge breeds, get a lot of negative press so I want to ensure that mine have good manners and no issues.

IT IS A BIG RESPONSIBILITY BRINGING UP A PUPPY!

She has grown up to be a very well rounded, happy, cheeky dog who lives in harmony with her family .
JessicaPaige
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Congratulations Jessica! Lovely to hear you will be soon having a new addition to the family!

Can I ask what breed you are considering? Any ideas yet?

The Alpha/dominance theory gets a lots of negative response, you and your dog should be best friends!

That said HOWEVER I had to be quite 'firm' with our puppy female Akita, Keisha from an early age she needed constant training and strong consistency. I removed bones from her, she learnt to share her food, toys, chews with our other dog, despit initially growling at the idea. She was very territorial and would run the fence from just a few months old, snarling aggressively (inherent to the breed) We solved the problem by I suppose the cliched theory that 'we are the pack leaders' you don't need to protect us and aggressively fend off any neighbours or visitors, and she was always made to sit behind us quietly, then of course lots of praise given.

It certainly wasn't harsh or cruel, it was just leading her in the right direction, positive, clear leadership, we are their teachers at such a young age afterall. I have assessed Akitas up for rehoming that 'own' their own homes, prowling round the room, threatening people who dare come close to the children in the family - whilst the dozy owner fusses it, reinforcing such behaviour and thats all it's known since puppyhood - duh! The poor dog has never been taught this ISN'T their role!

Again, Keisha learnt not to go through gates or the front door first, and walk by our side on lead, not because 'we are boss of you' but because when she gets infront and another dog approached she used to puff her chest out and want to take anything on, anxiously, but when walking beside me was more relaxed.

For the amount of 'training' she got, she got 10 times more play and cuddles though, of course! :.
Hey, thanks for the great advice. It's nice to hear how otheer people implement rules with their dogs. And were picking up out little border terrier girl on the 17th of this month

here she is below...
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2010, 09:09 PM
OH MY GOD HOW CUTE!! What a little beautiful pup! Can't wait to see more!

I'm sure she won't be trying to take on the world in the way my girl wanted to that I spoke about in my post
Bo's mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-04-2010, 10:52 PM
She's gorgeous!

A book which was recommended to me is by Gwen Bailey and is called "The Perfect Puppy". It is based on reward traiing and positive training and so far (mind you only 6 days in with Meg, although 10 years in with Bo!) it's very helpful and practical.

Good luck!
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-04-2010, 12:46 AM
While I feel it is very important to give your puppy strong leadership, I am completely against reverting to the failed harsh methods of the past. My model is an old fashioned, strict, but loving parent, not a drill sergeant .

Nor do I buy into some of the newer psycho babble. Look for some of Patricia McConnell's books.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2010, 05:49 AM
Youve got to be in Charge, But none of that Alpha mumbo Jumbo, More like a Mentor.

You want to be Important enough, Fun enough & FAIR enoughthat the pup looks to you for advice!!!!

Not namby pamby so the dog just ignores you & goes self employed & ot so strict that the dog shuts down & turns into a robot

My dogs HAVE to come back when called & are not allowed to object or Bite me. Thats the rules! they know them!
buddi bo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-04-2010, 07:27 AM
Some great replies on here, i do think Gwen Bailey's book is very good and there is lots of info for the first time owner .
I believe in rewarding the good and ignoring the bad (as far as is possible) .
Lots of play with your pup helps with the bonding and will make her think being with you the best place to be which is very helpfull when doing things like recall .
Your pup looks gorgeous , i am sure you will have many years of fun and enjoyment with her .
My daughter has a Border terrier and he is a great little chap.
The main thing is enjoy . Su
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >