View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-03-2010, 12:46 PM

'Hitting' other dogs (and me!) with paw?

Sika is almost 7 months old, I have never known a dog to use their paws like Sika does! She will 'hit' your leg to get your attention and also does this to other dogs, a big paw planted firmly on their nose... is seems to be to get attention and initiate play, is that right? It has been suggested to me that it might be a *shudder* 'dominance' thing. I HATE all the dominance talk!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-03-2010, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by peedie View Post
Sika is almost 7 months old, I have never known a dog to use their paws like Sika does! She will 'hit' your leg to get your attention and also does this to other dogs, a big paw planted firmly on their nose... is seems to be to get attention and initiate play, is that right? It has been suggested to me that it might be a *shudder* 'dominance' thing. I HATE all the dominance talk!
Hi Peedie you are correct, like play-bowing paw patting can be an invitation to play gesture and nothing at all to do with the D word

If you don't want Sika to do it ignore her when she does it and if the behaviour is not rewarded it should cease (but be prepared for it getting worse before it gets better rather like someone speaking louder to get your attention when they think you haven't heard them ).
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Yup nothing to do with the D word just attention seeking

When Mia is lying on the sofa and Ben is on the floor she will 'pat' him on the head to get attention - so cute

When she is being all calm and ignoring her big pall Buster he will gently prod her with a paw which makes her bounce all over the place and he stands there with a big crazy grin on his face

I think its cute, as Mini says, if you dont want it ignore it and it will go away
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-03-2010, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Yup nothing to do with the D word just attention seeking

When Mia is lying on the sofa and Ben is on the floor she will 'pat' him on the head to get attention - so cute

When she is being all calm and ignoring her big pall Buster he will gently prod her with a paw which makes her bounce all over the place and he stands there with a big crazy grin on his face

I think its cute, as Mini says, if you dont want it ignore it and it will go away
Chloe has grown out of it now but used to do it a lot and managed to catch my nose a couple of times . I didn't deter her because I found it cute and it didn't bother me.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2010, 02:28 PM
Shamus does it. Unfortunately he has great big sharp claws so we have learned to be very quick in evading him.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Both our boxers do it .. Snoop was at the vet last week and and twatted a cocker with a left paw ..
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Shamus does it. Unfortunately he has great big sharp claws so we have learned to be very quick in evading him.
Agreed, I know that feeling! It's not so cute when a giant GSD paw bats you in the face, I've been left with red claws marks down my face a few times from Cain inviting me to play
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Yep, Teagan does this!
She 'hits' us all the time for attention!

Isochicks dogs do it to Teagan to get her to play!
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-03-2010, 09:03 PM
Ah, great, thank you! Nice to know I'm not the only one walking around with big red welts down my arms/legs etc
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2010, 10:33 PM
My Dolly Wheaten does this She also like to grab my face with her paws and give me a good kiss! Funny because I've heard a lot more of the American Wheaten do this, compared to the English ones. Dolly's Grandad is American so maybe it has some truth in it
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >