Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2010, 10:00 AM

Dog behaviourists (the new black lol)

Havent been around for a while but just wondered about this subject as have been really shocked by some I have dealt with.
I have a 7 month old shep called Marshall who came in and was bit of a wreck anyway lovely boy and went to a supposed GSD expert home. 10 days later I got a call from my vet and they had taking Marshall to be pts. Obviously I went and got my dog they said he had become very aggressive and when I walked in he did lunge at me showing teeth but stood my ground played ball with him and took him home. He lunged at 2 people whilst I walked him up and down road gave him quick tug and check and now can walk him anywhere no aggression in fact superb dog.
Now he had been taking by his new owners to a grumbly growlers class?? and within 20 minutes the so called behaviourist decided there was little or no hope for him and pts was best option. But more worryingly he was then seen by vet with behaviour training and she was terrified of him and classed him as dangerous dog and big liability.
It has shocked and disgusted me and to say I am fuming is an understatement he is a truly wonderful dog been with me quite a few weeks and is a sweetie great with kids and other dogs.
I am wondering how many dogs who dont have rescue back up are pts by these people who really dont have a clue?
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2010, 10:34 AM
That's awful! Thank goodness you were able to help. Are you keeping him, or looking for a forever home?
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2010, 10:35 AM
No he is up for rehoming
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2010, 11:33 AM
It is a shame that the people at the dog class and the vet were so quick to write him off, maybe they just felt that the new owners weren't going to be able to help him with his issues and so he would pose a threat to the general public. Maybe the new owners were worried that they'd bitten off more than they could chew and felt they should follow the advice they were given. Did they know what he was like when they took him on?

I suspect that with so many dogs needing homes they think that it really isn't worth making the effort with the ones that may present a challenge?

Will you keep him until his issues are resolved? What do you think the chances are of finding him the right home?

J.
Shepherd
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-03-2010, 11:33 AM
I agree, it seems many people overreact at the first sign of any trouble without even considering better alternatives.

Of course safety is paramount, but choosing to pts should always be the absolute last resort not the first.

Thankfully you were there for Marshall, I hope you find someone else who will rescue him forever.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Marshall doesnt have any issues I think he just needs an owner that knows what they are doing so will only be going to a proper GSD home.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Lets hope its not another supposed GSD home then !
Poor guy x
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Hoping it will work out for Marshall and for your rescue. He sounds like a typical gobby shepherd!

If he is rehomed and does bite at some stage and it was advised by a vet behaviourist that he be pts then you could be liable.

I would imagine that is why it was recommended----they were covering themselves.

Its why many rescues won't take dogs with a history of aggression.

rune
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Beautiful looking dog and love the name! It really is scary to think of the number of self proclaimed behaviourists out there who give shoddy advice let alone telling people to have their dogs PTS. Thank goodness he had rescue back up.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2010, 11:59 AM
He has never bit? He is just gobby if allowed to be. And in no way shape or form even close to pts. I do have dogs pts with very severe aggression and Marshall is most definitly not one of them.

Inki, Thanks for imput fab as always and so constructive sadly as wonderful as I am I do not have a crystal ball and can only homecheck people on what I see but next time he will be going to somneone who has a GSD.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >