Corinthian
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-12-2009, 05:43 PM

Position Statement Against Dominance

I just saw this in a different website

http://www.dogwelfarecampaign.org/su...anisations.php

Part of it reads
K animal welfare, behaviour, training and veterinary organisations1 are warning of the possible dangers of using techniques for training dogs that can cause pain and fear, such as some of those seen used by Cesar Millan, who has announced a UK tour next year.

The organisations have joined forces to voice their serious concerns about techniques which pose welfare problems for dogs and significant risk to owners who may copy them. These concerns are shared, and the statement supported, by similar organisations around the world2 and in continental Europe3.

This doesn't include the recent position of the Italian Vet

ANMVI, - National Italian Association of Veterinary Medicine
and

ASETRA - Associazione di Studi Etologic e tutela della relazione con gli animali

or the long time position of the

IPDTA
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 06:47 PM
There were some interesting articles on that website.
WelfareCampaign
New Member!
Male 

15-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Glad you like the website and campaign

We tried to involve as many dog welfare organisations as possible

WelfareCampaign
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Great link - its powerful to see how many recognised, respected experts and organisations are against CM type 'training' methods - and great to see them in all one place

http://gopetition.co.uk/petitions/st...ar-millan.html (just to add my link again)
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-12-2009, 01:00 PM
It's a great website and the information about dominance and social behaviour etc is wriiten in an understandable way and is very useful.
It's good to see the large organisations finally getting together and doing something!

Corinthian , I don't understand Italian, how can I translate those pages on line?
Thanks . Alison
Corinthian
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Go here and type in the URL

http://translate.google.com/#it|en|

Machine translations are still a work in progress but you'll get the message.

THE VETERINARY (ANMVI) REJECTS THE METHODS OF CESAR MILLAN
12-10-2009 13:52

The National Association Medical Italian Veterinaries asks the suspension of the program Dog Whisperer show on the National Geographic channel, as misinformative and contrary to the principles of the correct human-animal relationship

The methods of the famous dog trainer, Cesar Millan, airing in Italy from some days, are not recognized by the veterinary scientific community who does not approve of the coercive techniques and punitive methods employed by the the dog trainer.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2009, 05:50 PM
It's so great the organisations are coming together like this - all the very professional organisations which people have to take some notice of! Yay!

CM is not having an easy ride at the moment, methinks.

Good

Wys
x
macagyp
New Member!
Female 

17-12-2009, 03:26 PM
New here but I just want to say I absolutely love this it was posted on a couple of other forums and I've crossposted it elsewhere too. Anyone else finding it a hard time to persuade other people though? I'm continuously getting called "closeminded" for liking it despite previously believing in dominance!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by macagyp View Post
New here but I just want to say I absolutely love this it was posted on a couple of other forums and I've crossposted it elsewhere too. Anyone else finding it a hard time to persuade other people though? I'm continuously getting called "closeminded" for liking it despite previously believing in dominance!
People cant be forced but hopefully they will think about educating themselves a bit more. Everything on that website is based on science, and they can't really argue with that, that's the thing.

The fact that so very many professionals have got together - including veterinary surgeons, amongst others - shows that there is no "closeminded" about it - this is knowledge, science, fact IMO

Wys
x
Molosser
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-12-2009, 09:48 PM
What makes this initiative so unique and 'with teeth' is the sheer amount of professional organisations of academics and grass-roots people standing side by side against one issue (and one person in particular!).

To my memory nothing on this scale has ever happened before; it's always been individual organisations issuing their own press releases and often going in slightly different directions. I'm very proud to be a member of two of the organisations in the initiative and even more optimistic that it will make CM think twice about hurting any of our British dogs on his UK tour!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >