Our sister sites
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2009, 08:28 PM
[QUOTE=tabsmagic;1818552]
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post

As i said, my opinion of this fencing was low until i had seen it so well used,
No one said it would be used instead of training and i never saw it used with young dogs.
You ate obviously a great dog trainer but there are people out there that love their dogs very much but do not have the capacity to train them to this standard, but they make great owners nontheless.
All the examples i reference meant that the dogs got to roam massive gardens freely and were very happy as a result. it was not used to replace walks or anything, just let the dogs have more freedom at home.......
Hi,

I'm not any better a dog trainer than anyone else. It just takes time, effort and perseverance both on the part fo the handler an the dog(s) involved. It took my IMO a long time to train my lot to stay put. if I had just one dog it wouldn't have taken half that time, I'm sure.
having said that, there was a point where I was over stimulating Zane with the amount fo obedience training he was getting through. he loved it, but the mroe I did with him the more he needed. I had to cut him back quite a bit. But it was only after posting about it here that people suggested what it may be. Once I'd taken their advice, everything calmed down again.

But there's no reason why you can't do the same (I don't mean go OTT with it). The basic obedience commands (sit, stand, stay, wait) are all that's needed to keep the dog off the grass. Once you have a good level of respect and trust with your dog and have built up the recall, I don't see why yur dog wouldn't do as it's told and stay put when told to do so.

Would your parents not consider a fence just for the next few months or until your dog is properly trained? Or use cattle fencing/horse fencing which is metal, doesn't cut out so much light and is often a lot stronger that the usual wooden fences readily available.

Laura xx
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Could you not suggest that you put x amount of posts along the edge of the grass, and then put rabbit netting up, and put rails along the top to the rabbit netting!?

It's what a friend has done in his back garden, and has let it grow wild, so the dogs can go and hunt away, and none of them have mananged to get out yet!

Hope you can solve your problem!

x
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2009, 11:59 PM
There are lots of good replies here, but my point is that I was very anti until I experienced the underground electric fence being used well and responsibly........

has anyone that is anti it ever used it?

Not trying to be arguementative, just I am interested to know if anyone has had bad experiences, or (like I was) just anti the idea of it without actually having experienced it?
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2009, 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by tabsmagic View Post
There are lots of good replies here, but my point is that I was very anti until I experienced the underground electric fence being used well and responsibly........

has anyone that is anti it ever used it?

Not trying to be arguementative, just I am interested to know if anyone has had bad experiences, or (like I was) just anti the idea of it without actually having experienced it?
I wouldn't have been so anti if I'd known those people who used it! I can't bear the thought of it. I'm sure people do have good experiences with it, but I wouldn't use it, ever. Same with e-collars - I've seen them used and I never want to see one again! There's always an alternative.

ETA: I suppose it wasn't being used responsibly, as the dogs must have been unsupervised, but then, if they can't be left unsupervised, what would be the point in it at all? If you are supervising them, you could call them off the grass?
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-11-2009, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
I wouldn't have been so anti if I'd known those people who used it! I can't bear the thought of it. I'm sure people do have good experiences with it, but I wouldn't use it, ever. Same with e-collars - I've seen them used and I never want to see one again! There's always an alternative.

ETA: I suppose it wasn't being used responsibly, as the dogs must have been unsupervised, but then, if they can't be left unsupervised, what would be the point in it at all? If you are supervising them, you could call them off the grass?
Not having been there to see the initial training to use it I am not sure, but when I have been at the houses the dogs were outside unsupervised and this is the whole point. I think you have to supervise in training but once they 'get it' then there is no need.

One owner requested that when walking the dogs I take the coller off (obviously!!) to leave the grounds but she asked if I would transport them out by car - but this i think was more HER being worried that the dogs would be untrained if they crossed the border uncollered on foot,

The other place used to take off collers and the dogs seemed to understand that it was now safe to cross....it really showed me just how clever dogs are!!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2009, 12:57 AM
Hi,

No - I've never used any of the electronic devices for dogs.

My opinion is based on what I've read mostly although I have seen a few dogs that have them around their necks. I can't tell whether they are the spray/anti bark collars or the electric ones but either way, I don't understand why somsone would wish to cause any sort of discomfort, no matter how small, to a dog just to get ti to act in a certain way or precent it from doing something or going somewhere.

I believe there are kinder methods to train dogs, albeit far more time consuming.

Do you take your dog to training? If so, then is there any reason why you can't incorporate commands to teach him to remain off the grass.

How old is your dog? Obviously yourself and your parents have coped until now. Could they not cope for a ehile longer until he's trained?

Also, I get the impression (although please say if I'm wrong) that your parents are pushing fo your to use the electric collar. Ar they aware of other training methods and equipment that can be used? Could your dog not go on a long line to begin with?

Laura xx
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2009, 01:42 AM
Originally Posted by wolfdogowner View Post
I use a combination of chain link fencing and electric wire strand fencing in a field of several acres. The strands are placed sufficiently high off the ground so as to not affect most wildlife but close enough that a large dog will get a shock should they try to climb through. It works a treat and allows the dogs great freedom as well as preventing them from visiting neighbours livestock.
My landlady uses electric tape fencing for the horses, [ I hate hate hate it but I`m powerless to do anything about it ]. Recently due to bad timing on my part my Lurcher touched it, the result was the shock travelling through him to the metal ring on his harness which actually burnt his skin, I never ever want to hear any dog scream in pain like that again
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2009, 06:20 AM
I don't have personal experience of these electric fences but do know that certain breeds with high prey drive will go through them to chase things. When they return they wont go back over them to get back in the garden.

This has been discussed on a breed specific forum, they are useless for my breed.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2009, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
Thatis what im tryin to pursuade them with. but i need as much evidence to move them away from electric fences
ATD x
I hope you have luck with persuading them otherwise

I am not sure of the whole layout of your garden, but certainly if there is any intention at all to use it as a boundary to prevent escape, I'd be very concerned for the reasons mentioned.

Re pain - there is a lot of talk about how electric collars dont cause pain but most of the people who say this tend to have some kind of interest in the system/collars or have no experience of training using positive methods (even though they may say they have).

VS was working with a boxer in the US and it ignored the fence so the owners turned it up and the dog was so scared by the pain, he refused and was still refusing to go into the garden at all This is one of the things that the manufacturers never tell you can happen. And it's not that rare either, as I know of several other cases.

As someone mentioned, there is a spray system very similar to this, but not sure if it is made for outdoors? I don't recommend punishment as it's not fair on the dogs, but out of this and the efencing, I'd have to go for this one if it fitsthebill generally.

The other thing is that it's highly possible that these systems are going to be banned in 2010 or at least regulated in some way, so it would also be money wasted and they'd still have to find a way afterwards, to solve the problem.

Wys
x
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
My landlady uses electric tape fencing for the horses, [ I hate hate hate it but I`m powerless to do anything about it ]. Recently due to bad timing on my part my Lurcher touched it, the result was the shock travelling through him to the metal ring on his harness which actually burnt his skin, I never ever want to hear any dog scream in pain like that again
Eddie touched the electric fence that was around crops last year. He screamed and screamed, it upset me for days. Just my thoughts but how can a human say it doesn't hurt the dogs? I know it hurt my dog as he wouldn't scream for no reason. It must hurt otherwise they wouldn't learn to stay away.
Page 5 of 21 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »