Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JuniorDaddy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Dog's aren't stupid, dogs can even tell the difference between individuals of different species, hence some dogs will accept the resident cats but chase the others off. They do know the difference. If dogs were unable to tell different species apart then how on earth can they be trained to accept family pets yet hunt rats and mice?
Becky
The reason they accept family pets & resident cats is because they see them as part of their pack. A pack doesnt have to be exclusive to dogs.
JuniorDaddy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
If that doesn`t work he tries cruelty.
I hardly think HBO & National Geographic would endorse a TV show based on cruelty to animals?.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by JuniorDaddy View Post
I hardly think HBO & National Geographic would endorse a TV show based on cruelty to animals?.
oh bless!
and wife swap is about relationship counselling.
http://www.urbandawgs.com/divided_profession.html
http://veterinarycommunity.dvm360.co...471/30809.html
http://www.dognews.co.uk/animal-orga...ning-inhumane/
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2009, 01:07 PM
The reason they accept family pets & resident cats is because they see them as part of their pack. A pack doesnt have to be exclusive to dogs.
My cat definitely is not part of the pack, he comes and goes as he wishes, eats what he wants, when he wants. He lives in our house but he is his own entity. He will also get chased if he is in the garden.
My dogs, cat and children are family
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2009, 01:21 PM
it really gives me great heart when i am having a bad day with mia that there are so many on here who have taken the time, love, and understanding to help their dogs
sure it can take a while but then at least you know you have actually solved the problem and not just suppresed it
using dom/pack theory ways to train a dog with fear problem is the same as putting a plaster on skin cancer
JuniorDaddy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2009, 01:53 PM
You can't seriously be comparing a light entertainment show using consenting adults to an educational show for troubled dog owners?

The links were not really relevant, the 1st is based on personal opinion (which we are all entitled to!) & has mis-quoted the show credits to make its case stronger, it actually says 'do not try these methods at home without professional advice' or words to that effect. The second is also based on personal opinions & more importantly neither have put a strong enough case forward to make the channels reconsider the show. The 3rd was more interesting as the responses posted underneath are almost exclusively in favour of CM & so neither part of the article is more relevant than the other.

Again, I'm not saying that CM's methods are the be all & end all or that other methods don't work too, but just that you can't say he is cruel or inhumane.
JuniorDaddy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
My cat definitely is not part of the pack, he comes and goes as he wishes, eats what he wants, when he wants. He lives in our house but he is his own entity. He will also get chased if he is in the garden.
My dogs, cat and children are family
I do agree that your cat doesn't think he is part of a pack/family because thats not how cats think. But your dog will still see it as part of its pack/family because that is how dogs think!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Again, I'm not saying that CM's methods are the be all & end all or that other methods don't work too, but just that you can't say he is cruel or inhumane.
Sorry, but I think we can say he is cruel!
He uses prong collars on dogs!
How is having spikes shoved in your neck not cruel?!
Would you put a shock collar on your child if they didn't stop crying, or didn't behave? Nope, don't think so....so how is it not cruel to put one on a dog?

He forces dogs onto the floor and holds them down!
He kicks dogs up the **** - not even sure why the hell he does that, but it's been on his programs!
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2009, 02:13 PM
I do agree that your cat doesn't think he is part of a pack/family because thats not how cats think. But your dog will still see it as part of its pack/family because that is how dogs think!
But IMO a family is different than a pack. My family do not have a pack structure, their behaviour is very fluid.

If my dogs saw my cat as part of their pack, they would not chase him in the garden.
oldshep52
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-07-2009, 02:13 PM
like so many other issues in Dog World it is down to a matter of opinion. I would probably have him put down but someone else would probably rescue him (CM I am talking about) and providing they took him home and taught him to train tigers all well and good! Someone told me that he spends quite a lot of time fighting off litigation. Rumour? Who knows?
Page 7 of 125 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 57 107 > Last »