Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
It's not just northern breeds of course that have a high prey drive and go deaf, but my personal experience is that ... combined with their independence ... they are on a higher plain of Nortiness than most other breeds !!
Ohh, I have that problem with both my dogs!
My Bullmastiff really has a high prey drive - which is odd, as they were gamekeepers dogs - to keep poachers out, not chase the animals lol
A breed trait of BM's is stubborness - and boy is she stubborn, plus selective deafness! Not fun lol

Fin (Collie x) has a really high prey drive - of course she's really clever when she wants to be - but see an animal (dog/cat/bird etc), and she'll chase, but she also loves to herd the dogs we see on walks lol

Dogs eh!
SibeVibe
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-08-2009, 03:21 PM
Cor !! that MUST have been exciting ! Lucky the fox didn't dive through a hedge or jump a ditch, else you would have been flying !

That happens too!........... All the time

Hence helmet, knee pads and much vino afterwards

First time one has ever decided to take the trail ahead of her. Don't think Darcy has ever felt so alive

Take good care Gnasher.

Seoniad.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2009, 03:25 PM
I`ve got an ex-hunting dog - hound x beagle type. That that dog has a high prey drive and selective deafness (ask beagle owners!). But I still taught him recall. I just wouldn`t let him off round game.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2009, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Ohh, I have that problem with both my dogs!
My Bullmastiff really has a high prey drive - which is odd, as they were gamekeepers dogs - to keep poachers out, not chase the animals lol
A breed trait of BM's is stubborness - and boy is she stubborn, plus selective deafness! Not fun lol

Fin (Collie x) has a really high prey drive - of course she's really clever when she wants to be - but see an animal (dog/cat/bird etc), and she'll chase, but she also loves to herd the dogs we see on walks lol

Dogs eh!
Mishflynn will like this one : on Radio 4 this morning there was an item about dogs' intelligence. Collies are rated THE most intelligent breed, with some of those tested being able to add up. Which makes them cleverer than me
viking
New Member!
Male 

11-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
No need to apologise.
I just don't want to watch a dog with a shock collar...or a needless fight thats all
I just don't think the end always justifies the means...and there is always an alternative way.
I totally agree with you. I am against training dogs using shock collars and basically this is one of the reasons why I delayed so much having my dog trained. I asked around a few times and I had lots of doubts about that.
Steven_L
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-08-2009, 06:49 PM
Mishflynn will like this one : on Radio 4 this morning there was an item about dogs' intelligence. Collies are rated THE most intelligent breed, with some of those tested being able to add up. Which makes them cleverer than me
There are different TYPES of intellegence and Collies may fare well in one of those catagories. Here's a link that describes those types a little more: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...ed-does-matter

I see we are discussing preditary aggression now? Its true that this isn't only limited to the nordic breeds though, my chow mix....ah...has the highest prey drive I've ever seen...and we are talking about a CHOW.lol.

BTW how does this tie in to CM? Isn't it offtopic? I dunno I've been gone for quite some time.lol.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by Steven_L View Post
There are different TYPES of intellegence and Collies may fare well in one of those catagories. Here's a link that describes those types a little more: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...ed-does-matter

I see we are discussing preditary aggression now? Its true that this isn't only limited to the nordic breeds though, my chow mix....ah...has the highest prey drive I've ever seen...and we are talking about a CHOW.lol.

BTW how does this tie in to CM? Isn't it offtopic? I dunno I've been gone for quite some time.lol.
Agreed about the different types of intelligence - thanks for the link, I will follow it up.

Agreed too about the preditary aggression, I didn't mean to suggest that this was limited to nordic breeds, just that they have a far higher propensity to predate.

I can't remember why I mentioned about the collies now (it's my age !)
Page 125 of 125 « First < 25 75 115 122 123 124 125