Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 06:49 PM
This is what I said to you Jackbox:

"Unless of course there is a medical reason, and that is entirely different. But it is just because you are unable to train the dog to recall, or not chase sheep, or whatever is the reason that you keep him confined to a life on the lead, then yes I think you are cruel."

I made a typo there - I should have said "if" it is just because you are unable to train the dog ... "

I think I covered the scenario it would seem that is your problem with your boxer, Jackbox.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 06:51 PM
Quote:
GABRIELLA RAVANI, GREAT DOGS TRAINING & EDUCATION, SAN DIEGO, CA

One of my agility students took her JRT to an e-collar snake aversion training. The dog didn't learn that snakes were dangerous; instead she learned that being in groups of people and their dogs is painful! This dog is now ruined for agility and can no longer run in agility trials; the park-like setting and crowd of people and dogs are too similar to the aversion seminar setting, resulting in a dog who is a shivering wreck on the agility field. Her owner no longer enters her in trials, which is so sad as the dog still really loves class and is very talented. The owner is heartbroken as she feels she has damaged her dog for life.

This is one of my concerns, that the dog would associate the zap with something else.

I'm very sure I get it wrong with positive reinforcement sometimes, so that Loki thinks he's being rewarded for something else, although I hope with repetition, he will get the message. I wouldn't want to go down the route of repetitive e-collar zaps to get the message across.

Some proponents of e-collars say the zap can be set to be very mild; if that were the case, it would be ignored by Loki anyway, so pointless.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
There's the epilepsy too, so I would be very wary of zapping any dog with a medical condition.

I was open minded about him, having watched only a few episodes, courtesy of Virgin Media, who will persist in giving tv shows then removing them unless you subscribe. (Which I won't, no matter how much they try to tempt me!)

I was very unhappy with the episode that was highlighted on here, the one where he back-kicked the wolfy-type dog and there have been a few things I've seen highlighted that I don't like, for instance Dawn highlighted the use of the elderly Daddy to demonstrate an e-collar and a snake. Must admit, I've gone off him somewhat.

I do like methods such as those of Ian Dunbar - I used to love watching him on tv.
Yes indeed LS. I would think zapping a dog with epilepsy would be an incredibly dangerous thing to do.

I was very unhappy with the Shadow episode too. But I disagree about the use of the e-collar to train Daddy to keep away from snakes, I think there was little choice bearing in mind that Cesar was exercising the dog in Southern California - a hot dry place popular with rattlesnakes!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Quote:
GABRIELLA RAVANI, GREAT DOGS TRAINING & EDUCATION, SAN DIEGO, CA

One of my agility students took her JRT to an e-collar snake aversion training. The dog didn't learn that snakes were dangerous; instead she learned that being in groups of people and their dogs is painful! This dog is now ruined for agility and can no longer run in agility trials; the park-like setting and crowd of people and dogs are too similar to the aversion seminar setting, resulting in a dog who is a shivering wreck on the agility field. Her owner no longer enters her in trials, which is so sad as the dog still really loves class and is very talented. The owner is heartbroken as she feels she has damaged her dog for life.

This is one of my concerns, that the dog would associate the zap with something else.

I'm very sure I get it wrong with positive reinforcement sometimes, so that Loki thinks he's being rewarded for something else, although I hope with repetition, he will get the message. I wouldn't want to go down the route of repetitive e-collar zaps to get the message across.

Some proponents of e-collars say the zap can be set to be very mild; if that were the case, it would be ignored by Loki anyway, so pointless.
I saw that quote posted by Minihaha, and agree with her and you, that is terrible. But that may be a one-off case, we don't know. If I were having to walk Tai in Southern California, and he was showing too healthy an interest in the local venomous snakes, I would consider an e-collar if all else failed.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
There`s not many rattlesnakes in Essex.....I doubt if there are many rattlesnakes in many states in America, given the extremes of climate (Hawaii to Alaska). So saying cruelty is OK for this reason is spurious.
Would you burn your dog if it went near a snake to teach it not to? If the answer is no, well don`t justify causing equal pain with an electric shock.
There was an experiment with students who were asked to give increasing levels of shocks to test subjects (can`t remember what the trigger was).
Even though the subjects screamed and pleaded - the students continued to shock them because their tutor told them to continue. In fact the subjects were acting - but the students didn`t know that. They were compliant because someone in authority had told them to do it.
I have heard of one of these sessions where dogs scream and wet themselves after the first shock but are dragged back to repeat it again and again. This is sadism, not training.
Indeed, that is sadism.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
I am still waiting for some real numbers and I would like a more objective source that a company selling remedies.
Well do your own googling then !! I am trying to catch up with happenings, having broken off to take my poor abused dog for a walk !
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Stumbling upon them....the dog is likely to get bitten before it even knows the snake is there...as is what happens with most adder bites in this country.

Life is full of risks Tassle, we cannot protect ourselves or our dogs against them totally. All we can do is to minimise the risk. So I personally feel that Cesar was justified in using rather extreme measures to reduce Daddy's risk. Being a pitbull his prey drive, tenacity and sheer bloody mindedness means that drastic measures were needed.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Yes indeed LS. I would think zapping a dog with epilepsy would be an incredibly dangerous thing to do.

I was very unhappy with the Shadow episode too. But I disagree about the use of the e-collar to train Daddy to keep away from snakes, I think there was little choice bearing in mind that Cesar was exercising the dog in Southern California - a hot dry place popular with rattlesnakes!
I haven't seen the episode, Gnasher; I'm just going on what I've read here. I didn't subscribe, you see ...

Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I saw that quote posted by Minihaha, and agree with her and you, that is terrible. But that may be a one-off case, we don't know. If I were having to walk Tai in Southern California, and he was showing too healthy an interest in the local venomous snakes, I would consider an e-collar if all else failed.
We're a thoughtful bunch where our dogs are concerned on here so I would hate to see e-collars in the hands of 'just anyone' - for this reason. I'd also be worried that they are open to mis-use. I do realise that things like choke chains are too. Or a big stick.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Condemning A dog not your dog, speaks to me as in general rather than personal!!

From what you see on the TV on CM training methods on aversion to chase , is typical of his violence towards dogs...

Are these the same methods you have used also!!

Not sure where the comparison of the US and snake aversion , is relervent to the UK in justification for the use of these collars..
In response to your first paragraph Jackbox : SHAN'T !!!

No to the 3rd, I have trained Tai NOT to chase anything unless I say he can. You don't like Cesar Millan, so you won't be interested in learning how I did this - no aversion methods though. He is allowed to chase rabbits - saves money on the food bill !

We are not talking about snakes in the UK, although we have already heard from wolfdog how even our Adder can be dangerous to dogs. We are talking about the lethal snakes such as the rattlesnake and the pit adder, amongst many others, found in the States.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
They are illegal in wales!!!! Bloody good job.

CM uses them because he teaches quick fixes through pain & fear.

If you need to use one to save your dogs life, i know a cheaper method & its called a lead!
But I for one won't condemn my dog to a life on the lead ! If I lived in Southern California, with Tai, and he was in grave danger from rattlesnakes, I would not try and solve the problem by keeping him on a lead! I would do everything I could to train him to leave the dang things alone, and most probably I would be able to, but should I completely fail, and any dog trainer I employed also failed, then I would consider calling in an expert in the use of an e-collar. But I have to say it would have to be the most very last resort.
Page 7 of 45 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »