Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2009, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by Heldengebroed View Post
Normally a dog stays in competition until he is 9 or 10. At that point they are over the top and then they are retired. The dog that was used to teach me to decoy was 14 riddled with arthritis but when he saw a decoy no trace of limping could be seen. That dog passed away on Christmas evening at the age of 17 before the fireplace.
As for trophies being important The dog in the video has won the vast majority of the trails he competed in. Meaning that 19 other competitors knew that they wouldn't have much chance to win. This goes for all the dogs Romain has brought to competition.
Last year one of my dogs got injured. It took 6 months to recover and get him to competition level again. He is 5 and, although he has 4 good years of competition in him, i retired him because he is prone to get the same injury again.

And for your last comment jumps are never thought with compulsion.

Greetings

Johan

Thanks for the info Johan and it's good to hear some dogs at least do retire by the fireplace when old age comes. I have heard of jumps being taught by compulsion so it's good that they are not; however can you honestly say hand on heart no-one would use an ecollar if they felt it would "help"?

I agree with the comments I think it was JanieM made about dogs being bred to the extreme. It should not be necessary - in the UK we manage well with our dogs and they do the job well enough certainly

Wys
x
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2009, 04:37 PM
As stated before train a dog and come competing in Belgium
See if you can do it.
Are there no competing dogs in Belgium trained without the use of an e collar?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2009, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
So what happens when these dogs go to countries that have banned the e.collar

Are you saying that the only way to train these dogs, is with shock aversion

If not, then why do it!!!

Not a lot to be proud of is it... breeding extreme dogs, that can only be controlled/trained by using extreme techniques.

What happens when the battery ruins out
!
C4L
New Member!
Male 

11-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
In a book? Oh please !!
Who published the bible?

I have a complaint.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2009, 04:26 PM
I know our Essex police train their dogs without prong or e-collars. What about other forces? And the Army? Does anyone know?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I know our Essex police train their dogs without prong or e-collars. What about other forces? And the Army? Does anyone know?
Not sure about the army, but can find out about MOD from the guy who is helping me train.

I know for a fact that Lancashire, South Yorkshire, the Met and Lothian & Borders police forces don't train with electric or prong collars. I doubt there will be any forces that train this way any more tbh, in fact many don't use check chains anymore either.
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-06-2009, 05:47 AM
Normally a dog stays in competition until he is 9 or 10. At that point they are over the top and then they are retired.
I agree with you Johan, a good dog should be able to do the work till about 9 or 10. Maybe they can get a little leeway on the jumps (palisade/long/hurdle) but even at the minimum it is still quite a feat.
Last year one of my dogs got injured. It took 6 months to recover and get him to competition level again. He is 5 and, although he has 4 good years of competition in him, i retired him because he is prone to get the same injury again.
I feel your pain. I too, have retired dogs early due to chronic injury.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2009, 06:07 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I have a friend in the army and he sometimes uses the clicker! But not harsh equipment at all. I don't know if it varies between individual handlers.

Wys
x
Page 45 of 45 « First < 35 42 43 44 45