Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 09:13 AM
Day 1 update from me:
(not much time as was doing bits while waiting our turn at agility).

Stumpy (other paw)
here's my paw - what I'm not doing it hard enough? what do you want? Here it is (whack, whack with the 'wrong paw').
Me touching her other paw saying 'this one' - her 'what?' looking at her left paw ' no, I can't possibly lift that one or I'll fall over. Here, have this one in your face' (whack whack).

Tip (paw)
durr, come on, that's just cruel closing your hand round the treat, I know I'm not suposed to snatch so I'll just sit here drooling and staring at you.

(Me lifting his paw) Tip 'what's the matter with my paw - oh you're going to lift it up and give me a treat - that's alright then, we can do this all day'.

Hoki - no training at all as she was with OH for agility.

As you can see, my training is going really well
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 09:22 AM
Day one

Beau - other paw
He managed it yesterday but always gives his first paw first, so I dont think he is understanding that it is another command yet

Lula - paw
The wee star did it but will only do it once, she cant sit still for any longer because she gets too excited. So I need to work on keeping her calm
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 09:40 AM
Hi All,

Yiannis is being neutered today so he's off the hook (for now anyway).

Zane has mastered "left paw" and "right paw" but no waving or high 5s yet.

ellie has mastered "left paw", "right paw", "hide" (nose beneath both front paws), and "wave" (sits up on rear haunches with both front paws in the air).

I've started clicker training with Yiannis and Zane seems to enjoy it so I may use the clicker to bring the 2 of them up to speed - otherwise ellie will leave them standing.

I also use Makaton sign language with th4e commands so that ultiamtely I don't have to speak at all - if they are looking at me (which they should be during training), they will do as I ask without any verbal involvement. I started this after speaking with a friend who has an adopted Son with learning difficulties and behavioural problems. She uses it all the time withhim and I thought it may be useful for the dogs too.

I'll get my Mom to take a movie with her camera later and try to post it up. I knew Ellie would get it first. She's far more intelligent than the 2 boys.

Laura xx
Dragan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-06-2009, 10:20 AM
just saw this great idea
and tried it straight away..
my two didn't give paw so far ( never saw the point in it lol) but my foster is giving paw and waves..and on her hind legs.. so she was no problem.
sky took about 10 minutes till she knew what i wanted from her ..bless... my arm is absoutly scratched from her giving paw...

tinks took a bit longer but knows now what is expected.
and poppy...well she tried to push in all the time lol
will keep it up. it's a good idea and fun
next target; other paw for my two... on object for poppy
Dragan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Day 1 update from me:
(not much time as was doing bits while waiting our turn at agility).

Stumpy (other paw)
here's my paw - what I'm not doing it hard enough? what do you want? Here it is (whack, whack with the 'wrong paw').
Me touching her other paw saying 'this one' - her 'what?' looking at her left paw ' no, I can't possibly lift that one or I'll fall over. Here, have this one in your face' (whack whack).

Tip (paw)
durr, come on, that's just cruel closing your hand round the treat, I know I'm not suposed to snatch so I'll just sit here drooling and staring at you.

(Me lifting his paw) Tip 'what's the matter with my paw - oh you're going to lift it up and give me a treat - that's alright then, we can do this all day'.

Hoki - no training at all as she was with OH for agility.

As you can see, my training is going really well
that made me laugh keep it up
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Daisy got the Touch thing immediately - it was a bench, Then got bored and jumped ON the bench.
Shamus thinks it`s good fun that I want him to wallop me with his great hairy foot.
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 06:56 PM
ok, Felix and Indy already know all the above and also 'all in' which is a high five with the three of us a challenge for the multiple dogs that already do the others perhaps?

I'm going to go with a paw from Oliver and a wave from Harry! Training will commence in t-minus a cuppa
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 07:09 PM
I just caught up with this thread. Bryan can give both paws, do a high 5 with both paws too, so I'll try teaching him to wave
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Right, my 1st vid so excuse the quality

Have already done about 6 5min goes with Mia on this in the past - free shaped her to touch the lid with her paws, then left paw only then left paw lieing down
Today she managed to cross the paw over! - really chuffed with her cos that is the difficult step when they both tried just touching it with the right paw cos it was closer - thats why I do a little bit of having the lid ontop of the other paw

and you can see the bit where she gets the wrong paw and then figures it out
she is such a smart cookie - she was scared of the clicker when I got her
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk-iJ8t5aGY

(BTW how can you embed the youtube file rather than just the link??)
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 08:51 PM
to embed youtube videos yuse the following code:

[ youtube ] the string of numbers and letters at the end of the videos address jk-iJ8t5aGY [ /youtube ] - take out spaces.

so your video then would be

Gosh! She's just as bright as a button isn't she! Loving the clicker too..
Page 6 of 11 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »