Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I loathe this site (sorry eta Not Dogsey ).

I can't express how much. I've seen the most appalling, sickening advice on it.

The collar referred to is one that is used to strangle the dog - until it loses consciousness.

Yes, someone actually does this and actually sells the collars and actually recommends them.

It frankly makes me ***** mad.

Wys
x
Surely not? Am I just being a tad naive? Is there a link on the site regarding this happening and being recommended?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I am sure this is true in some situations, unfortunately, however I have also seen, and met, some very VERY high drive dogs who hardly feel the correction.

I haven't really got time to debate this (due to revision!) but wanted to remind anyone reading that all is not always what it seems. You can see many videos on the net which apparently show enthusiasm and in fact are showing dogs who are closer to being anxious and frantic. It takes an experienced eye to realise the difference, and not everyone who has not studied ecollars, etc can notice it.

Literally yes there are some dogs who, when in high adrenalin situations don't feel it much so that begs the question Why use it then?

As for the DDC I won't accept that is ever needed. It's usually used by US police bloke types who believe you have to fight and force your dog. They do it because they enjoy being macho and sometimes it is claimed do it "just because they can". I've seen photos which disgust me and sicken me. I do hope no-one on here thinks it is actually OK because if so they are supporting strangling a dog....

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Surely not? Am I just being a tad naive? Is there a link on the site regarding this happening and being recommended?

It is OK to do this in the US it seems, Moobli. And I'm not joking. Frawley has done this and recommends it for some dogs ... hence you can see my dislike of the site and the person...

His site is a lot better than it used to be. It is now more geared towards pet owners whereas about 7 or 8 years ago more of this kind of horrible stuff was on it.

Wys
x
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 12:37 PM
There is indeed, sadly.

Most people cannot deal with truly handler aggressive dogs that truly want to attack their owner with the intent of challenging the owner for rank within their family pack. I can tell you what I do but I will insert a word of caution by saying that you should not try this at home unless you are working with a professional dog trainer who really understands this work. I also don't do this on a dog that has not spent weeks going through the pack structure program.

I will set a dog up by putting a hidden sleeve on. Then I will have a second handler there for back-up and for safety. I will have a line over a tree limb with the line hanging down near the level of my knee.

I heel the dog to this location and attach the line to the dominant dog collar. At that point I will do something that causes the dog to attack me. When he does I offer the arm with the hidden sleeve. When the dog is biting the arm the second handler will raise the dogs 4 feet off the ground. I remain totally calm and look the dog in the eye and tell him he will not bite me.

The dog stays there until he passes out. Then he is lowered to the ground and lies there until he regains consciousness. Then we start again. Usually these kind of dogs will only have to be hung 2 or 3 times and they quickly learn that you are a big person - the way they look at it is that you have the power to kill them at any time.
This is a big big point in establishing dominance with dogs like this.

http://leerburg.com/746.htm

The rantings of a madman and animal abuser as far as I am concerned.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 12:48 PM
oh my god, thats horiffic!!! he shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a dog, let alone calling himself a professional dog trainer!!!! what a great way to make a relationship with a dog, let it know that you could kill it if you wanted to, he can give all the good advice he likes but as far as im concerned if you promote hanging a dog by the neck (could that not cause brain damage from oxygen deprivation??) you belong back in the dark ages with torture racks and witch burnings
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Reisu View Post
oh my god, thats horiffic!!! he shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a dog, let alone calling himself a professional dog trainer!!!! what a great way to make a relationship with a dog, let it know that you could kill it if you wanted to, he can give all the good advice he likes but as far as im concerned if you promote hanging a dog by the neck (could that not cause brain damage from oxygen deprivation??) you belong back in the dark ages with torture racks and witch burnings
The scary thing is that people who have come to the conclusion that their dog is 'dominant' might just try such a barbaric thing.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 12:58 PM
that is very frightening, to think he'd put it on the website where any moron could come across it too, warning or not those poor dogs... wonder what he'd define 'dominant' as! any dog that's not been throttled into submission??
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Yuck - I see no use for any of the collers let alone all 3

and thinking your dog needs to know you have life or death over it!! that is actually making me cry to think people train like that

If you are going to think like that you have to realise a big dog like that could easily do you some serious damage if it wanted to - but it chooses not to - and I choose not to do any harm to my dogs!

These people are animals!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by Reisu View Post
that is very frightening, to think he'd put it on the website where any moron could come across it too, warning or not those poor dogs... wonder what he'd define 'dominant' as! any dog that's not been throttled into submission??
This is one of the main reasons I dislike the application of the linear hierarchy system as in, those in the pack fight to get to the top.. because some idiots take it literally. This is the extreme, and was the sort of thing Koehler, a famous US trainer, suggested. In fact I suspect that Frawley is simply following Koehler who spoke about dogs staggering, thick tongued, after choking them into unconsiousness.

Dr Karen Overall has had dogs in her vet school who have died from this treatment, unsurprisingly. One of her own dogs was treated in this way and after being hung, put the handler in hospital - good! She kept the dog herself and trained it using scientific, kind methods.

Wys
x
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 05:29 PM
I cannot believe that anyone in this day and age actually likes this stuff..approves of this stuff, or would even consider using any of this stuff.

I am totally shocked to be honest by some of the postings on here. Really sad.

So much cruelty masquerading as training. Makes me so mad.
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »