Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mandyc
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-07-2006, 09:59 AM

How can i keep my dogs cool in the heat wave

Help does any body have any tips on keeping boxers cool in the heat wave that wer'e haveing at the moment. I have tried different things but they are still suffering, i'm even wiping them down with cold flannels every 10 min's and there still looking at me with sad eyes as if to say please make this heat go away. It's must be bad for them as they don't even want to go for there walk's, and there normaly at the door before me when i have there lead's in my hand.Any tips and advice would gratefully be recived. THANK'S mandy
rob
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-07-2006, 10:02 AM
We've been giving Bob ice cubes and it seams to cool him down
mandyc
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-07-2006, 10:10 AM
Thanks rob for that tip i'll put some ice cubes in there water bowl's as my boy's have short snout's and carn't keep them in there mouth.
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-07-2006, 10:12 AM
You might fine some useful tips here

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=39856
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-07-2006, 10:13 AM
We've got a couple of fans on the go and it seems to be adequate, ours love them.

Walking, ours are only going out very late at night or really early if they can be bothered and even then not as long as they are used to.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-07-2006, 10:21 AM
Just the usual ice cubes, fans and leaving wet towels over the floor (that seems to be the favourite)
mandyc
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-07-2006, 10:30 AM
Thanks for all the tip's, i like the paddling pool idea we have put up our gazebo so they shade all day when they go out side, i'll go and pick up a small paddling pool today and see if that helps
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2006, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by mandyc
Thanks for all the tip's, i like the paddling pool idea we have put up our gazebo so they shade all day when they go out side, i'll go and pick up a small paddling pool today and see if that helps
Asda have some small blow up paddling pools for around £2.50
I bought a few, so it doesn't matter if one gets popped!
mandyc
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-07-2006, 02:35 PM
Went and got a paddling pool for dog's they loved it, jump straight in and rolled around and for the first time in day's ran round and round the garden ( our garden is masive ) with happy looks on there face's. they have come in now as were having a thunder storm and clyed doesn't like them .So thank's for every one's tip's mandy clyed and zak.
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-07-2006, 02:59 PM
I dont know if you can get these in UK but in California I hooked up a mister, a 12ft (you can get different lengths) peice of hosing that you fix up on the patio roof (the edge), hook the other end to a tap and just barely turn the tap on and you get a fine mist spray, they can drop the temperature in that area between 10 -20 degrees (farenheit), I used to have them on almost all summer during the day as I lived in the desert so in JUly and August it could easily get up to 115 -120f (45+ celcius) it never made any difference to my water bills.