Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 02:31 PM

"Chipping"

Ill put my hands up!!!!!!!! One of my dogs isnt chipped.
Is there a list anywhere of "chippers" as I am now in North East London(South Woodford E1 as the only place I can find is a local vets at just under £40 each!!!!!!!

Jeanette
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 02:35 PM
£40 each?!?!

My vets charge a tenner, and it's an expensive vets!

Hope you find somewhere!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-12-2007, 03:06 PM
http://www.peddymark.com/home/?m=find

There's one in chingford
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 03:09 PM
just found them thanks and have e-mailed them. Before I moved here I could get them done for £10 its a big jump from £10to £40.

Jeanette
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by Rookgeordiegirl View Post
Ill put my hands up!!!!!!!! One of my dogs isnt chipped.
Is there a list anywhere of "chippers" as I am now in North East London(South Woodford E1 as the only place I can find is a local vets at just under £40 each!!!!!!!

Jeanette

What a rip off chips cost less than a fiver ! even at £10 it's 50% profit
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
What a rip off chips cost less than a fiver ! even at £10 it's 50% profit
There is a bit more to it that just the cost of the chip Most vets also do a general check-up at the same time which is why they tend to charge more, [ instead of a consult fee ], and anyone doing chipping, whether vet, wrden, independant etc, there is their time, the paperwork, cost of running and staffing the database, cost of phonecalls / faxes, postage etc etc so of course the cost has to be higher than just the chip itself.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
There is a bit more to it that just the cost of the chip Most vets also do a general check-up at the same time which is why they tend to charge more, [ instead of a consult fee ], and anyone doing chipping, whether vet, wrden, independant etc, there is their time, the paperwork, cost of running and staffing the database, cost of phonecalls / faxes, postage etc etc so of course the cost has to be higher than just the chip itself.
Chips can be registered with Petlog online(so paperwork can be sent off in bulk saving postage costs), the paperwork is supplied by the chip company as are the collar discs which are all included in the price of the chips & the more you order(as vets will do)the less they cost. So not so expensive. Most vets do the chipping at the same time as a vaccination or similar so incur no extra costs for the chipping
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Chips can be registered with Petlog online(so paperwork can be sent off in bulk saving postage costs), the paperwork is supplied by the chip company as are the collar discs which are all included in the price of the chips & the more you order(as vets will do)the less they cost. So not so expensive. Most vets do the chipping at the same time as a vaccination or similar so incur no extra costs for the chipping
And what about the staffing for the database, the equipment, a building to work in etc etc etc.

Ok so you prefer tattoo`ing, [ despite the fact that they can and and often do become unreadable ], but you really need to take the `ol blinkers off about chipping, it common sense that there is a heck of a lot more to running a huge service that just the cost of the chip itself.
If one vet or whoever charges `too much`, people are free to find someone else who does it at a better price.

Not all vets do chipping at the same time as doing vaccs, and wardens who do chipping certainly don`t do it with a vet check included.

You don`t like chipping and you seem to try to find any spurious argument possible against it, but millions of other people do prefer chipping, you`ll just have to get used to it
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 06:54 PM
Try this here http://www.petmicrochippers.co.uk/
All chips from my chip company (Pet-ID) are pre registered with Petlog which means that even if they haven't recieved the paperwork the chip can be traced directly to me, however, I can do all the paperwork online which means they are protected immediately.
I only charge a tenner but that's because I really believe in chipping and that it should be available to everyone.
When I did my chipping course about 7 years ago I was told that The National Dog Tattoo Register tattoo's about 25,000 animals a year, with chipping (at that time) it was that many a month!
Bearing in mind that the Pet Passport scheme requires chips and the vast majority of health schemes require the dog to be chipped as well I think chipping is the way forward.
I was all for getting trained to be a tattooist as well so I could offer both services but the NDTR have never replied to any of my emails requesting to be trained so as far as I'm concerned I will never ever recommend tattooing as they clearly couldn't be bothered so neither can I, of course doesn't help that the only dogs I had tattooed both were illegible!
Becky
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 06:59 PM
I charge a tenner, but all my 'profit' goes to breed rescue (cos I am nice like that...and also am the RO)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >