Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-06-2007, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Out of interest did you get in touch with the breed specific recues Anne?
Not for the ones we were unable to take in. For those we admit; if we don't have suitable/ideal homes coming forward once they're available for adoption, we will inform one or two of the breed rescues.
For redirecting the owners of unwanted breeds or us passing on our own dogs; we will only do this if we know and trust the rescue implicitly, although the ones we work with are often as full as we are.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-06-2007, 09:23 PM
you would have to be a bit of a numpty to find a perfect breeder, be in otouch, spend a fortune on a pup and then not have your garden secure....
Unfortunately there are a lot of numpties out there
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2007, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
For those that might think you don't get many pedigrees in rescues, below is a list of the breeds we have either taken in, been asked by members of the public or other rescues to help with, in the last four months;
(those with s's means more than one of that breed)

Alaskan Malamute
American Bulldogs
Basset
Beagles
Belgian Shepherd
Bichons
Boreboel
Border Terriers
Boxers
Bull Mastiffs
Cairns
Cane corso
Chinese Crested
Chow
CKCS's
Cockers
Collies
Corgi
Dachshund
Dalmatians
DDB's
Dobies
Dorset Bulldog
Duck Toll
English Bulldog
English Mastiffs
English Pointer
Flat coat
German Pointer
Golden Retrievers
Great Danes
Greyhounds
GSDs
JRTs
King Charles Spaniel
Labradors
Lhasa Apso
Neo Mastiffs
Papillon
Parsons
Petite Basset Vendeen
Picardy Shepherd
Poms
Poodles (minature & Toy)
Presa
Rhodesian Ridgebacks
Rotties
Rough Collie
Russian Black Terrier
Samoyed
Shar Pei's
Shih Tzus
Siberian Huskies
Springers (English)
Staffys
St Bernards
Thai ridgebacks
Tibetan Terriers
Vizsla (wirehaired)
Weimies
Westies
Wheaten
Whippet
Wire haired Fox Terrier
Yorkies
wow thats alot of ped dogs, {ps if ya get a boston, pug, or frenchie in I would be more than happy to give you a sizeable donation,} poss even a bulldog,
do you have a web site?
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-06-2007, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
wow thats alot of ped dogs, {ps if ya get a boston, pug, or frenchie in I would be more than happy to give you a sizeable donation,} poss even a bulldog,
do you have a web site?
I'll let you know if I hear of one in rescue, the adoption wouldn't be dependant on the size of the donation though

Our website should be complete soon, hopefully have been saying that for a long time now
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-06-2007, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
wow thats alot of ped dogs,
these haven't all come into us good heavens no! would bring me out in a cold sweat to even think about it

Some we were able to help the majority we had to turn down
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 02:54 AM
I do appreciate that a home visit and check can be helpful BUT 2 hrs isn't a long time really to get to know a family. I am in touch with the breeder of my next pup and we won't be getting it for a few years yet. We will meet before the pup is even a twinkle in its dads eye so to speak! She will know me infinitely better than any volunteer from a rescue could know me in a 2 hr interview...
YES interviews can be helpful but a lot of people, as has been mentioned already on this thread, have been in touch with their reputable breeders for a LONG time prior to getting a pup so the need for a 2 hr home check just isn't there....
In fairness, whilst going and checking a fence is secure, you would have to be a bit of a numpty to find a perfect breeder, be in otouch, spend a fortune on a pup and then not have your garden secure....

The 2 hour interview I mentioned was only part of the process for Defa That interview was specifically like an Oral Exam on deaf dogs, general BC traits, training methods I use, how would I handle various situations in relation to his particular behaviour quirks as described to me, that sort of thing.
That was separate from the home check and some informal chats.
They knew me with regards to my old girl and that was what prompted them to ask if I would consider Defa but even though they had a `good feeling` about the potential match, there were many obstacles I had to prove myself on because he had been let down so many times before and they were not about to let it happen to him again.

One thing which happens with experience as a homechecker or assessor or homing `officer` etc, aside from questions and answer sessions etc, is an extra `sense` about people, I cant explain it, its something which instinctively helps make decisions about potential adopters - not sure how to express it, aaargh
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
The 2 hour interview I mentioned was only part of the process for Defa That interview was specifically like an Oral Exam on deaf dogs, general BC traits, training methods I use, how would I handle various situations in relation to his particular behaviour quirks as described to me, that sort of thing.
That was separate from the home check and some informal chats.
They knew me with regards to my old girl and that was what prompted them to ask if I would consider Defa but even though they had a `good feeling` about the potential match, there were many obstacles I had to prove myself on because he had been let down so many times before and they were not about to let it happen to him again.

One thing which happens with experience as a homechecker or assessor or homing `officer` etc, aside from questions and answer sessions etc, is an extra `sense` about people, I cant explain it, its something which instinctively helps make decisions about potential adopters - not sure how to express it, aaargh
No need I do know what you mean, but it isn't always reliable...
All Breeds
Listed Rescue on Dogsey
Female 

17-06-2007, 12:07 PM
adding Victorian bulldog to the list
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post

Gut instinct - I call it!!

I couldn't agree more, none of us are perfect, neither breeders or rescuers and we all make mistakes. Sometimes gut instinct tells you that it would be a mistake placing a dog in a certain environment, I always say, if you have a gut instinct - go with it. If in doubt, do nowt!! It is easier to change your mind about a home before the dog has been placed - not so easy once the dog has been handed over.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-06-2007, 06:26 PM
Yes gut instinct is very helpful when doing rehoming, although imo opinion shouldn't be relied on hence the need for further checks
Page 33 of 33 « First < 23 30 31 32 33