Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 12:32 PM
WARNING : contains photos of dogs living outside

We have different options here for our outside dogs.

Barrel or Kennel with chain (but we don't use these in very inclement weather)

Kennel with integral run

New kennel block - but we find all the metal very ugly looking, so the maker is coming back to fit it with wood instead - hence no kennels in the runs or roof on the block yet.

Zak testing them out

And finally OH has had some runs built into our shed, and is fitting the sides and floor out with wood and will put some beds filled with straw inside for when the weather is very wet or cold.

This is the shed, but we are also having new see-through doors made so there is sufficient light in the shed.

pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by louise! View Post
I don't think it's necessarily cruel to keep a dog outside, but I do question the point of it if the dog isn't a working or guard dog. I understand that people sometimes have so many dogs that having them all live inside isn't practical, but why not stop before it got to that point? Personally I believe dogs are social intelligent creatures that benefit most from living inside with their family and treated as a pet and not a garden fixture.
The point of the dog is to warn off woodbe burglers

The dog is loved, walked, goes to the pub with the owners when they go out.

Its kept on a chain because their are busy roads near the farm.

The dog has shelter, food, bedding and all ways something to watch, goes out when the owners go ridding too.

What is the problem there?
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 12:35 PM
I have no issues with dogs being kennelled so long as they get time out of the kennel to be a dog. I would be concerned about leaving mine chained though, as I think chains are an accident waiting to happen. I only tether my dogs when they are supervised, either at work, shows or camping etc.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post

Kennel with integral run

New kennel block - but we find all the metal very ugly looking, so the maker is coming back to fit it with wood instead - hence no kennels in the runs or roof on the block yet.

Zak testing them out

And finally OH has had some runs built into our shed, and is fitting the sides and floor out with wood and will put some beds filled with straw inside for when the weather is very wet or cold.

This is the shed, but we are also having new see-through doors made so there is sufficient light in the shed.

is that your son in a kennel? the farm up the road from us uses the barrels like that for his collies, i think it looks good

i dont like the look of metal kennels either, just reminds me of prisons
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 12:38 PM

Kennel with integral run

Zak testing them out

I love your barrell kennels, actually they would also be good designs for chickens coops!

All your dogs look really happy ^^
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 12:39 PM
I think that with this being a mainly pet dog forum, the overall feeling will be that dogs should be living indoors - and probably on the couch or in the bed too However, the sort of dogs that usually kept outdoors (ie working dogs - sheepdogs, police dogs, gundogs, sleddogs etc) are the sort of breeds that are built for outdoor living. Some may even consider it unfair on a dog with a thick, double coat to have it living in a house with central heating. Or unfair for a dog that has been bred to work living in a house in surburbia, where the owners work full time, and the dog gets bored and fat. Has anyone thought of that?

There are all different ways to look at the same situation.
louise!
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-07-2012, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
The point of the dog is to warn off woodbe burglers

The dog is loved, walked, goes to the pub with the owners when they go out.

Its kept on a chain because their are busy roads near the farm.

The dog has shelter, food, bedding and all ways something to watch, goes out when the owners go ridding too.

What is the problem there?
Sigh. There is an epidemic of people failing to read posts before pounding energetically away on their keyboard on this forum.

Originally Posted by louise! View Post
I don't think it's necessarily cruel to keep a dog outside, but I do question the point of it if the dog isn't a working or guard dog.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 12:43 PM
I think that with this being a mainly pet dog forum, the overall feeling will be that dogs should be living indoors - and probably on the couch or in the bed too However, the sort of dogs that usually kept outdoors (ie working dogs - sheepdogs, police dogs, gundogs, sleddogs etc) are the sort of breeds that are built for outdoor living. Some may even consider it unfair on a dog with a thick, double coat to have it living in a house with central heating. Or unfair for a dog that has been bred to work living in a house in surburbia, where the owners work full time, and the dog gets bored and fat. Has anyone thought of that?

There are all different ways to look at the same situation.
I agree with this. I'm on the lookout for some kennel runs at the moment for Keiko and Dan. They would be much happier outside, they are designed to live outside.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 12:45 PM
I don't have a problem with it, providing the dog has at least some canine company and regular interaction, walks, etc. I wouldn't do it myself and I'm not actually allowed to with Axel - it's in our contract.
Each to their own, so long as the dog/s are being being looked after, that's fine. I object to dogs who are being kept outside because the owner can't be bothered to toilet train or has got bored with their dog (I have seen this happen before).
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 12:46 PM
Mixed feelings...

I don't think it is inherently wrong in all situations. I wouldn't choose it personally, I enjoy having my dogs indoors with me. I think it depends partially on the dogs temperment and the breed, Cain for example would hate being alone outide and would simply bark the place down until let back in

I think if the dog is accepting of the situation, has a well built shelter with both indoors and outdoors areas, seperate space for tolieting from the bed, adequate protections from the heat and cold (soild walls to block wind and sun, heating in winter if necessary), regularly cleaned and disinfected, constant access to clean water, regular human interaction and walks/exercise etc. In this situation, I don't really have a problem with it. Agree that some thicker coated breeds prefer being outside.

On the other hand, my Moon was kept on a chain in Vietnam. No shelter, on hot dusty concrete, no water, no walks until we got there of course. We built him a shelter, got him a water bowl and walked him, which vastly improved the situation. But his previous situation was down right cruel.

But I do think breed is part of it. I think some breeds would pine with such restricted access to their owners. Plus some dogs are too sensitive to be kept outside. Cain would never settle and would just bark at every leaf blowing in the wind if he was outside all the time

So ok for some dogs if adequate care is taken, but not for mine
Page 5 of 50 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »