View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2012, 09:15 PM
I really feel for you. I knwo what it's like to have nightmare neighbours who attack dogs. I also know how it feels to have a dog attacked (both by humans an danother dog). And no, it isn't "normal" for someone to blame the dog. As you said, it happens. Dogs squabble and fight all the time.

You've done everythign you can to put things right. I would completely ignore them. Don't rise to it when they're swearing at you. Just make sure that everyone in the village knows exactly what happened and what you've done about it. Soon enough people will see how unreasonable your neighbours are being.

Finally, I would also consider reporting her attacks on Ben both to the RSPCA (although they are nothign short of useless) and the local Police. At the end of the day, this woman is inflicting deliberae injuries upon your dog which may be considered a cruelty case.

Additionally, this may sound strange but she is also guilty of burglary (no, you dno't have to steal somethign to be a burglar). She has trespassed on your property (by going over or under the fence) and has committed a further ciminal offence (trespass on it's own is a civil offence and she has committed criminal damage on yoru property, being Ben, as dogs are personal proeprty in English law).

Of coruse each and every time she makes contact with Ben, he wil be suffering unnecessarily. So she is at risk of picking up at least 2 criminal convictions if she doesn't reign herself in and behave. Understanding that she is angry that her dog was hurt is one thing. Taking things this far, imo, shows she has a screw loose.

I'd also suggest getting your insurance company to contact the vet directly to find out the exact nature of the injury caused. It could be they've just paid out without actually looking at the records. If it was a minor injury though, it shouldn't have warranted £700 or more!
Also, it may be worth letting your own vet and insurance company know that this woman will attack Ben physically each chance she gets in the garden.

Other than that, I'd ignore her completely. If she eventually speaks to you with a hint of civility or courtesy, then by all means respond as I'm sure you are nto ignorant. However, whilst she's still throwing the worst of insults and attacking you verbally, I think you should ignore her completely. She'll need you before you need her. Let her wallow in her own anger. If she wants to twist herself into knots over somethign you have tried to put right, then let her. You can't do any more than you have done.
nickynockynoono
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-06-2012, 11:30 PM
Sorry you're having so much hassle.

I have to ask..............What's a "Come up next Tuesday?"
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-06-2012, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by nickynockynoono View Post

Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by nickynockynoono View Post

An extremely nasty word of abuse (take the first letter of each word and you will come up with it) that no man should ever use as a term of abusive, let alone a woman.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
I really feel for you. I knwo what it's like to have nightmare neighbours who attack dogs. I also know how it feels to have a dog attacked (both by humans an danother dog). And no, it isn't "normal" for someone to blame the dog. As you said, it happens. Dogs squabble and fight all the time.

You've done everythign you can to put things right. I would completely ignore them. Don't rise to it when they're swearing at you. Just make sure that everyone in the village knows exactly what happened and what you've done about it. Soon enough people will see how unreasonable your neighbours are being.

Finally, I would also consider reporting her attacks on Ben both to the RSPCA (although they are nothign short of useless) and the local Police. At the end of the day, this woman is inflicting deliberae injuries upon your dog which may be considered a cruelty case.

Additionally, this may sound strange but she is also guilty of burglary (no, you dno't have to steal somethign to be a burglar). She has trespassed on your property (by going over or under the fence) and has committed a further ciminal offence (trespass on it's own is a civil offence and she has committed criminal damage on yoru property, being Ben, as dogs are personal proeprty in English law).

Of coruse each and every time she makes contact with Ben, he wil be suffering unnecessarily. So she is at risk of picking up at least 2 criminal convictions if she doesn't reign herself in and behave. Understanding that she is angry that her dog was hurt is one thing. Taking things this far, imo, shows she has a screw loose.

I'd also suggest getting your insurance company to contact the vet directly to find out the exact nature of the injury caused. It could be they've just paid out without actually looking at the records. If it was a minor injury though, it shouldn't have warranted £700 or more!
Also, it may be worth letting your own vet and insurance company know that this woman will attack Ben physically each chance she gets in the garden.

Other than that, I'd ignore her completely. If she eventually speaks to you with a hint of civility or courtesy, then by all means respond as I'm sure you are nto ignorant. However, whilst she's still throwing the worst of insults and attacking you verbally, I think you should ignore her completely. She'll need you before you need her. Let her wallow in her own anger. If she wants to twist herself into knots over somethign you have tried to put right, then let her. You can't do any more than you have done.
Thank you Stumpywop, you make some excellent posts. It is exactly how I feel. Luckily for her, if she does eventually speak to me with even a hint of civility, I shall be gracious and extend the hand of friendship once again.

It is interesting what you say about burglary - I hadn't thought of it like that. I have considered contacting the police, but I won't do that unless there is another incident. As you say the RSPCA are worst than useless! The police aren't much better in our area, but at least it would show Her next door that we won't be abused, bullied or sworn at!

Thanx everyone for all your helpful comments. I feel so much better for having got this off my chest.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 08:08 AM
What a cow!!!

My dog has been attacked without provocation resulting in a far worse injury than a patch of skin under her armpit. It cost £200, the other dog's owner paid for it and we remained friends. I told the other owner not to fret, tish happens.

I would say they are the ones being unreasonable. Dogs will be dogs, yes ok you were right to take responsibility but I think they have taken advantage of that and this is the point at which I'd say enough is enough.

I have no idea what you can do with someone that unreasonable and it's awful that you can't even feel safe having your dogs in your own, secure garden because she wants to attack them. Dogs will be dogs but she should know better.

I do feel so bad for your situation as I really don't know what to advise but I'd say you have certainly done all you possibly can to take responsibility and keep things civil and she's the one that needs her head looking at.

I'm now so relieved that the worst I get is kids shouting abuse at my dogs and the thug the other day that threw a rock at Takara while she was in the garden!!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 08:24 AM
Oh dear, sounds like you have done everything possible to make amends and prevent another incident. They are being totally unreasonable. When I was walking Dan on his lead a few months ago an off lead Husky ran over, there were grumbles and it attacked, the owner apologised, I said it's fine, now when I see her we wave and go the other way. Sh*t happens, no point getting knickers in a twist. She obviously has a problem with you. Just ignore her, she's clearly got issues.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 08:56 AM
She has every right to be upset her dog was attacked and most people are naturally unforgiving when that happens.

Even light attacks shocks people and creates an unpleasent experience so you can hardly blame her for not wanting to talk to you.

Im honestly suprised that members are so accepting of this incident.

Put yourself in their shoes you will probably find that you too would have a hard time lettings something like this go so easily.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but accidents do
But Gnasher does have hindsight of the issues with Ben, as as been posted on the forum before.

If your neighbour has been your friend prior to this, were they aware of Ben's issues? I would probably be more annoyed over an incident like this if I knew that the owner of the dog knew that their dog could be aggressive with other dogs, knew that I had dogs (including entire males) and still let their dog wander around offlead on an area with shared access. My immediate neighbour has two whippets, so little dogs with delicate skin so Casper's impolite scruffing could do some serious damage (or at least traumatise the young dogs) so I am always very careful when leaving and approaching the house with Casper. Ditto in the garden, he has made no attempt to clear the 5' fencing but I am aware that he would be able and I don't know how he'd react to the dogs so he doesn't go out without supervision, if mine are playing in the garden and I need to nip to the loo then I bring them back in or get OH to go and supervise, even if next door's dogs are shut in their kennel - the neighbour has the right to have their dogs confined or loose in the garden without worrying about whether their dogs will come to any harm, like your neighbour has the right to walk down the driveway without worrying about her dogs being attacked.

When you know that your dog has issues with other dogs, you take extra care and you lapsed on this not once, but twice with the same dog. Many rescues stress the importance of 6' fencing and just because other dogs haven't attempted it, doesn't mean they can't and I would definately be putting in fencing taller than 4.5' with a DA dog. I'm putting 6' fencing up (and will still be supervising the dogs) and Casper isn't really what I'd call aggressive, but I just don't want to take the risk.
You have, in the past, refused to longline or muzzle your DA dog, in favour of using a shock collar, I can't say I'd particularly blame your neighbour for being so annoyed if she knew you had such a lax attitude towards it all.

Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Totally agree with everything you say - although we don't need to supervise our 2 in the garden, as it is totally impossible now for them to get out.
Given what has happened because you thought x couldn't happen or neighbour should do y, do you not feel the need to exercise more caution? Personally I would be making a point of supervising them for a while just to be sure nothing can happen. Dogs can clear 6' fencing and it would be naive to assume Ben can't, considering you thought he wouldn't clear the 4'6 stuff either. And the gap along the bottom - if a broom handle can poke through, what about a paw? A nip to an errant paw may not be a big deal in the grand scheme of things can I cannot imagine it helping matters. Yes, if the dog stuck its paw into your garden then you could apportion some blame onto the owner but knowing that your dog seems to have a grudge against her dog I would be going the extra mile to prevent future incidents. What about some picket fencing 6 inches or so in from the boundary fence so that the dogs cannot reach the fence itself?

Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
she was in the wrong for walking across the drive in full knowledge that our dogs were not properly under control.
I cannot believe you are trying to put some of the blame onto the neighbour here. Well, from you, I can, but this is ridiculous. She has every right to walk across the drive as she has access, her dogs were all under control. She has no obligation to shout anything to you, and you cannot put any responsibility for your lack of control over Ben onto her!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
She has every right to be upset her dog was attacked and most people are naturally unforgiving when that happens.

Even light attacks shocks people and creates an unpleasent experience so you can hardly blame her for not wanting to talk to you.

Im honestly suprised that members are so accepting of this incident.

Put yourself in their shoes you will probably find that you too would have a hard time lettings something like this go so easily.
I've BEEN in this situation. My dog was put in the vets, had to be stitched back together and have a drain put in when a border collie with a resource guarding issue launched an attack on her, pinning her to the ground by her throat and refusing to let go because his owner took him for a walk with my dogs and took toys with them.

The owners were gutted, immediately offered to pay the vet bills and we remain friends to this day. I even asked if we could go walking together again, without toys, to ensure my dog had no lasting issues.

Of course, if this had happened to me I'd have been pee'd off, and I'd find it stressful living next door to a dog aggressive dog when I have dogs of my own.

However, when someone has clearly made attempts to fix the problems and is obviously apologetic then how is it right to respond in the vile and crude manner that she is?

Now, she may not purposely be slandering Gnasher's name in the village - it may simply be a case that people have asked what's wrong with the dog and she's told them but even so, the way in which she's behaving is completely unfair in my opinion - coming from someone who's dog has been hospitalised twice now to be stitched back together - neither time was the other dog injured in any way.

I'm not saying that unprovoked attacks are at all acceptable and I agree that gnasher should take responsibility - but the fact is that the responsibility has already been shouldered and there's not a lot more that can be done than what has already been done.
Page 3 of 51 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »