Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
As per the title really?

Monty has recently discovered that there is some joy to be had from hanging his head out the back windows as i'm driving a long.

He only does it up until about 40mph and then he ducks back in. I don't really see the harm and it cracks me up seeing his boxer jowls flapping round in the wind in the wing mirrors!

The windows don't open far enough for him to be able to get out or anything and he never sticks his head right out in the sense that his neck is out as well, he just kind of pokes his head out.

So anyone else let their dog do this?
Yes I do. The only way I can fit the dogs in the back of my car is to have the seats down, which means they can stick their heads out of the back window. They love it and like you say once we get over 40mph they duck back in and I close the window. I don't have the window down far enough for them to get out and don't find any of the risks stated by people (gravel flying into their eyes, getting hit by a passing vehicle etc) to be of a significant enough risk (eg I find the risks to be very small) to consider stopping them from doing it.

I know this opinion won't be popular, but hey, we're all entitled to do as we please.
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Absolutely no way! There are so many risks....apart from anything the dog cannot be secured properly if they can have their head out of the window but also dirt/germs can get in the dogs eyes causing all sorts of problems; dogs falling/jumping from the car whilst moving and once we had to treat a dog who'd had his head out of the front window and the owner misjudged going through between parked cars and the poor dog suffered awful head injuries.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 06:34 PM
No way, they would probably fall out! Mine all travel in crates.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 07:25 PM
I have an estate so no opportunity to poke heads out of windows - apart from which I would probably be distracted when I was driving. It always gives me the "heeby jeebies" when I see dogs with their heads out of the car window. I have a very vivid imagination.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Daisy would love to but she is prone to take a hold of passing motorcyclists so we don`t let her.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 09:33 PM
If you do let your dog poke his/her head out of the window, a pair of Doggles might help.

http://doggles.com/eyewear.html
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2010, 08:02 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Yes I do. The only way I can fit the dogs in the back of my car is to have the seats down, which means they can stick their heads out of the back window. They love it and like you say once we get over 40mph they duck back in and I close the window. I don't have the window down far enough for them to get out and don't find any of the risks stated by people (gravel flying into their eyes, getting hit by a passing vehicle etc) to be of a significant enough risk (eg I find the risks to be very small) to consider stopping them from doing it.

I know this opinion won't be popular, but hey, we're all entitled to do as we please.
I can't find the report but the ex-copper I met this week said even at 30mph a loose dog in the car, on heavy breaking will slam into you with the force of an elephant. That, coupled with the airbag going off means a certain fatality, to both parties.

That would be significant enough risk to me.

Originally Posted by maxine View Post
If you do let your dog poke his/her head out of the window, a pair of Doggles might help.

http://doggles.com/eyewear.html
LOL!
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2010, 08:05 AM
No and when I see other people allowing it, I cringe.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2010, 08:24 AM
It simply boils down to this.

Would you let your child loose in the car and have it's head sticking out the window up to 40mph? No. So why would you let your dog?
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2010, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Daisy would love to but she is prone to take a hold of passing motorcyclists so we don`t let her.
PMSL when I read this and my mind ran amok
Page 5 of 49 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »