Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
I absolutely would not have killed this dog. In fact I can't believe that authorites are still taking this tack.

Why did this dog attack? What is this dog's reaction to similar stimulus? What is this dog's temperament? What lessons can we learn to prevent tragedies like this occuring again?

Answer to all the above - we don't know and we will now never know.

I fully accept that, after killing a child, the dog's fate is sealed but, for God's sake, why the helter-skelter rush? I cannot think of any other situation involving a death where the authorities rush to destroy the main piece of evidence.

My thoughts are now with the family.
I do agree with you,however having been on the recieving end of a dog attacking my son, it's not always that simple and of course the safety of others dealing with the situation has to be paramount.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

30-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
The outcome for the dog would have been the same, whether it was shot at the scene or kept in a kennel for months waiting for a decision.
Yes, the outcome for any dog that kills a person is a foregone conclusion.

We can still learn lessons from this without subjecting the dog to an excrutiating wait for months, away from his family, on death row.
We can make guesses that will not be based on any assesments or investigations of the dog involved. If there was a car crash that results in a death then the police examine the vehicle involved. They don't make a guess based on a look at some other car of similar type. We cannot say that we are fully informed when we've already destroyed the most important part of the evidence.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

30-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
I do agree with you,however having been on the recieving end of a dog attacking my son, it's not always that simple and of course the safety of others dealing with the situation has to be paramount.
I can certainly understand that grieving family members might want instant revenge but this is not something I would expect from the investigating authorities.

I find it difficult to accept that the dog could not have been restrained safely by animal control or police dog handlers.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 12:55 PM
I absolutely would not have killed this dog. In fact I can't believe that authorites are still taking this tack.

Why did this dog attack? What is this dog's reaction to similar stimulus? What is this dog's temperament? What lessons can we learn to prevent tragedies like this occuring again?

I fully accept that, after killing a child, the dog's fate is sealed but, for God's sake, why the helter-skelter rush? I cannot think of any other situation involving a death where the authorities rush to destroy the main piece of evidence.

Not very good judging by the fact that it mauled a 4 year old child to death.

How tragic.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Not being funny but...why do these things always happen in Merseyside?

they dont always happen in merseyside although 'recently there has been a few'...

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Id shoot it, its the safest all round option.
i agree

are you serious??

any dog that has mauled a child needs putting to sleep or shot!!! (whether they killed the child or not...)!!!! that type of dog does not need to be roaming the streets
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 01:04 PM
I can certainly understand that grieving family members might want instant revenge but this is not something I would expect from the investigating authorities.

I find it difficult to accept that the dog could not have been restrained safely by animal control or police dog handlers.
The dog had just mauled a child. It was, I'm guessing, running on a major adrenaline high and was dangerously unstable given what it had just done. What would be the point of 'accessing' the dog? I think it is quite obvious that a dog who would do such a thing is dangerous and unstable. The police are not going to waste time and money on the dog and assess it's temperament to see what caused it to attack...what use is that AFTER it has killed? doing so would not bring back the poor child who lost his life.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 01:06 PM

I understand what you are saying but this dog has mauled and killed a child. It has been reported that it was outside the house in an "agitated state" when the police arrived and it was felt it was the best option all round for the dog to be shot there and then. I have to agree with this course of action. A child has died.

Unfortunately, so far, it does have distinct similarities to it as the Ellie Lawrenson death. The child was attacked at his grandmother's house in the early hours of the morning, the child has died and the grandmother is being treated in hospital for her injuries.

Tragic
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 01:14 PM
thats so sad poor boy, and i feel for his family.

i really hope this wasnt a bull breed, or rotties or GSD etc. they get enough as it is.

but i do wonder what caused this, i dont believe the dog would have just attacked for no reason. i am not putting the blame at all on the boy, but when ellie laurenson was killed, it was said the dog really didnt like her and was put away from everyone when she was around therefore causing jealousy ect.

Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Not very good judging by the fact that it mauled a 4 year old child to death.
but you dont know what caused it, i agree it probably wasnt the best but until we find out more it isnt fair to make judgements.
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
You are kidding me?? And let me guess i expect they classed this as humane or the only option.

Don't get me wrong, I know what the dog did was wrong but to read that they just shoot the dog really gets to me.
Why ? It just killed a child.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
thats so sad poor boy, and i feel for his family.

i really hope this wasnt a bull breed, or rotties or GSD etc. they get enough as it is.

but i do wonder what caused this, i dont believe the dog would have just attacked for no reason. i am not putting the blame at all on the boy, but when ellie laurenson was killed, it was said the dog really didnt like her and was put away from everyone when she was around therefore causing jealousy ect.

but you dont know what caused it, i agree it probably wasnt the best but until we find out more it isnt fair to make judgements.
Totally agree.
I always wonder what causes these attacks. I don't every think it's for 'no reason'.
I think there is always an underlaying reason, and it's very sad the people in charge of the dog (and the children!) don't prevent these incidents from happening
Page 3 of 53 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »