Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-02-2007, 12:21 PM

teaching retrieve...

Mate reckons it's best to use a ball to teach retrieve rather than a dummy... his theory being that the ball bounces around and so makes it less predictable where it will land.. hence the dog has to sniff around a bit more to find it, rather than just running off in the direction that it was thrown..... your thoughts?
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 02:03 PM
I always make it simple when I'm teaching the retrieve. I'm not expecting them to sniff around to begin with. I do use balls in retrieving because it's something different. I've found that they can get bored with a dummy.

When I do want them to hunt for a dummy/ball, I give them a blind retrieve.

Just the way I do things.

Helen
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-02-2007, 02:10 PM
I use both with mine, and they seem to love whatever i use. But i will say Star does seem to do a lot better with a dummy and Storm was outstanding with a ball.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-02-2007, 03:55 PM
Might be worth trying Jake out with a dummy... he's never been interested in a ball. He'll chase it but then comes back without it, whereas with a stick he'll bring it back for another throw...
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 03:59 PM
maybe it's the shape he doesn't like then Ian...so a dummy may feel better to him? You can get the ones that float too can't you...which may be good with all your beach walks???
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-02-2007, 04:07 PM
Aye, Jake would like that... he loves the water.. both do but he's the better of the two as far as swimming goes
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 04:57 PM
I think you should use whatever your dog is most comfy/happy with, if he likes a stick you can try a dumbell, or a slim canvas dummy whatever works for your dog, they are all diff
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2007, 03:47 PM
Flynn will retrieve more or less anything (it always amazes me how he can pick out the exact stick you've thrown into the vegetation from all the other sticks!) but I tend to favour a neoprene dummy and it also happens to be his absolute favourite too.

A ball is good though because I think it teaches co-ordination and they may have to retrieve quarry which may be still moving around.