Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cliffw0970
New Member!
Male 

07-03-2007, 01:18 PM

Dog Eats Everything

Went home at lunch today to find the Sadie (Choc Lab) had gained access to the living room, she has eaten half the leather off the side of the sofa

She was only at the Vet last week for eating one of those edible plasticky type chew's which upset her tummy (wont be getting that again)

What do you think I should do, I was planning to let it run its course and see if it comes out either end as things normally do when she eats them

Thanks in Advance

This eating everything is really starting to concern me but she is usually fine once she has got rid
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2007, 02:33 PM
Has she eaten a great deal of it?

Has she been going to the toilet normally, or has she been straining/having trouble poo-ing?

If she doesn't seem out of sorts, I'd wait until she's done a poo (sorry!) and check what's in it.

If she's not passed anything, I'd then take her to the vets...

(My Boxer eats all sorts of random things, the last being a stolen tub of margarine last night)
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2007, 02:49 PM
I agree with Isochick, also watch out for her vomiting or becoming lethargic...
cliffw0970
New Member!
Male 

07-03-2007, 03:03 PM
If you can imagine the end of the sofa, it is the square under the arm,

She has eaten nearly have this square

If I know Sadie she will have sat and chewed it into strips before eating it
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2007, 03:11 PM
She seems to know what she's doing then!

I'd keep an eye on her for feeling lethargic etc, check her poos (a lovely job) and if she seems to be passing bits of leather, I wouldn't worry too much.

If she can't poo, is straining lots, or doesn't seem to be passing it; is lethargic, not eating/drinking, or vomiting then take her to the vets

Honestly, dogs, they'll eat anything!
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Experience tells me that she will probably pass it in bits and pieces. It is unlikely that she swallowed it in one go she probably chewed bits of and swallowed them like that. When Cody chewed up my last leather suite it came out in bits with no ill effect. However, if you are worried that she hasn't passed them or she shows signs of having a blockage then you have no choice but take up your usual seat in the vets waiting room!! I hope it comes out au naturel!