Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2005, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by cumbriandoglover
i am not sure how long this bird has been captive now, but birds lose flight condition very very quickly...so part of this reluctance to fly is most likey unfitness. You need to fitten her by holding her in cupped hand & casting her (throwing) upwards to manageable perches. e.g a flat single storey roof would be a good height to cast her to. When we have young birds & are about to start getting them flying afor the 1st time or are recouperating sick birds, we cast them like this four/five timeas a day for about 5 dyas....working up to greater heights as it progresses. Flight is easily lost if a ird is laid up too long.
Wise words CDL, I know that you are upset that the Sparrowhawk was deprived of the Dove, but please don't be angry with Gildy, he only did what he thought was right. Your information will be greatly appreciated and I'm sure that action will be taken in direct response to your obvious knowledge.

Just to move off thread, would you mind putting up a photo or two of your birds. My OH used to have a kestrel many moons ago and he loves to spot raptors when we are in th'contryside
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-11-2005, 06:00 PM
Yep, action will be taken and all advice is taken on board. She can fly and is and to get where she is in the utility room takes alot of flying skill and manoeuvering. She certainly has not lost the ability to fly and has some strength to do so but hey, we'll give it a go. Might wait now until the weekend passes though seeing as its getting very harsh. She has to fly to reach her food and drink.

She got a bit worked up briefly only minutes ago and flew around the room, the only danger being she might fly into something trying to find something to land on as she couldn't find anywhere to perch but having said that she landed on the ground and when ready she returned to the ledges she uses to perch on normally and to use those she needs some skill so she's getting practice in. And again, we'll keep the doors open so she can explore by flying into the long passage along the side the house and again the door is open all day in case she wants to go into the garden by walking or flying.

Thanks again

Gildy
Joanne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Hi Gildy

Just wondering how things went with the dove?
Page 13 of 13 « First < 3 10 11 12 13