View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2018, 11:26 PM
I've had one that started it as she got older. A change of diet, some training and vigilance in the garden did the trick.

I had another that was a menace for picking up shells on the beach to crunch on them, often cutting his mouth in the process. Pure training with him. On lead at first until he had broken the habit.

Rosie, bless her, has never bothered about picking up things she shouldn't so an easy ride with her.

All dogs are different, but when it comes to training, it has to be consistent and carried on until it becomes automatic for them not to return to the unwanted behaviour.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-01-2018, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I've had one that started it as she got older. A change of diet, some training and vigilance in the garden did the trick.

I had another that was a menace for picking up shells on the beach to crunch on them, often cutting his mouth in the process. Pure training with him. On lead at first until he had broken the habit.

Rosie, bless her, has never bothered about picking up things she shouldn't so an easy ride with her.

All dogs are different, but when it comes to training, it has to be consistent and carried on until it becomes automatic for them not to return to the unwanted behaviour.
I've said this before but it might bear repeating. Or not.

Ours has had no formal training. It seems that he just learns. Lots of things and I still get surprises after three years of our ownership. Some of them simple things like asking him to wait off the path to let a mother, child, and buggy to get past. If he wants out he pats the back door. He has done that when we stayed in hotels.
And he doesn't eat poo.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2018, 08:12 AM
Some dogs are easy to live with, others need a little help to know our rules. The original poster on this thread was obviously having a problem with her dog so falls into the latter category.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-01-2018, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
Would any of your dogs eat poo given the chance?
No,not now. As puppies the staffie definitely did but not as an adult. Although previous dogs were very tempted by horse poo which was why I mentioned it. If I couldn't run I would have found another solution. Just because your dog hasn't done it doesn't mean you can't envisage it happening or empathise with the OP.
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5