Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2012, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
i know why they say it

what i was saying was that notion is pretty much pants, as its not that hard to cleanly shoot and kill a fox as they make out.
see my previous post couple pages back explaining why.

therefore their is an 'equal' likelihood that a fox could get get away injured and die slowly from *both* dogs and gun, however, in both cases, its very unlikely.

hence why i said this line the pro hunt lobby come out with about the need to control the fox thru hound sinstead of shooting si more human is just a piece of propoganda for that side
ahh right get you now..
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2012, 09:29 AM
There can only be one reason for fox hunting with dogs and that is the thrill of the kill - which, to me, is barbaric and puts it on a par with dog and cock fighting.

It is useless in respect of controlling numbers, isn't done to provide food and I don't buy into the argument put forward that the hunters get their enjoyment simply through riding their horses around the countryside. If that was the case, arrange riding meets instead of hunts!!

Hopefully, it will eventually be frowned upon for what it is and looked back on with horror!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2012, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
i know why they say it

what i was saying was that notion is pretty much pants, as its not that hard to cleanly shoot and kill a fox as they make out.
see my previous post couple pages back explaining why.

therefore their is an 'equal' likelihood that a fox could get get away injured and die slowly from *both* dogs and gun, however, in both cases, its very unlikely.

hence why i said this line the pro hunt lobby come out with about the 'need to control the fox thru hound instead of shooting is more humane' is just a piece of propoganda for that side
I am not a gun licence holder and have never tried to shoot anything - so don't know for sure. But, take lamping for example, I am not sure it would be "easy" to have a clean shot (and kill the animal instantly) with a small, moving target by lamp light?

I am NOT pro-hunting at all, but I hate the thought of any animal suffering. I remember one particular horror story told to me by one of the gamekeepers on the estate where I live. He was lamping one night and shot at a fox. Unfortunately he did not kill it outright and it disappeared. Two days later it was in one of his snares (another cruel and inhumane piece of kit imo!) with half of its front leg shot away Horrendous!

Unfortunately, I was born with a sensitive nature so far as animals are concerned and I really don't like a lot of the killing that goes on in the name of sport.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2012, 10:45 AM
Havent read all the posts as yet. But Im sure most of you know I support hunting 100%. Cant wait for the ban to "banned" will bring about better management again.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2012, 10:48 AM
I am not a gun licence holder and have never tried to shoot anything - so don't know for sure. But, take lamping for example, I am not sure it would be "easy" to have a clean shot (and kill the animal instantly) with a small, moving target by lamp light?
The fox would not be moving, certainly not when shooting with a rifle. I have seen quite a few foxes shot by lamp and I haven't seen one wounded. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, because it obviously does, but it is in the minority.

Foxes needed to be controlled. Having worked on a project about predator control, I have seen first hand what happens to the rest of the wildlife when no predator control is undertaken. Hunting, shooting etc are ways of doing so. I know which method I prefer but I am certainly not going to "diss" the other legal methods.

There were too many problems with the bill when it was rushed through and, personally, I can't see it coming back tbh. I will certainly support it if it does though.

I know what I feel happy/comfortable with and that is my personal opinion. Yes, I guess I am different to many on here and yes, I'm sure people think I am "disgusting" but I can respect myself and I certainly can sleep at night.

Helen
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-01-2012, 11:48 AM
[QUOTE=Moobli;2442118]I am not a gun licence holder and have never tried to shoot anything - so don't know for sure. But, take lamping for example, I am not sure it would be "easy" to have a clean shot (and kill the animal instantly) with a small, moving target by lamp light?
[QUOTE]

it isnt necessarily a small moving target.
if you see my post a few pages back.

also, as a side issue, lamping makes it easier, the light gets the animal to freeze, thats why they use them.
i was bought up in new zeland, this is how they irradicate pests...possums...halogen lamps back of truck, shine on trees, lamp lights up possum eyes, possum freezes, shoot, possum hit the deck, instant kill.
all in the dark.

the average man on the land in new zealand would think it a silly notion to say that you cannot kill small easy targets the majority of the time with a clean shot.
of course their will be the occasional injure and escape, but you could argue the same for dogs.
its only in britain were this notion has currency, and only so the pro hunt campaining have something extra to make their 'positive list' look longer.

like rips said, there is some added sillyness spoken by either side.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2012, 11:51 AM
A ghastly activity on every level.

Keep the ban and police it better so people can't get around it!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Havent read all the posts as yet. But Im sure most of you know I support hunting 100%. Cant wait for the ban to "banned" will bring about better management again.
Hows that then?
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
i think people say that, because if a fox is shot, but not killed and only injured, it can still run on, go to ground and then have a slow death, where as if the hound gets it (and usually only one hound gets it first) its dispatched of quickly with one bite to the neck and its over..
I can see both sides of this.I've shot plenty of troublesome foxes which have either dropped on the spot or moments later,but without trying to blow my own trumpet im a good shot and have the correct rifle to do it humanely.I know some people have shot foxes with far too smaller calibre rifle which leads to wounding or someone who is a lousy shot which when coupled with a high powered rifle and expanding ammunition leads to legs being blown off-neither of which is acceptable.

However,i also know that when the hounds close in on a fox its the lead dog which delivers the fatal bite and then the rest of the pack pull it apart,but its already dead by then.I also know that hounds will often kill peoples cats and the riders sometimes go through land they have no right to be which is just wrong and legally speaking also tresspass.

Am i infavour of a repeal-yes.Im a country boy and enjoyed watching it.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Hows that then?
Less numbers, they are out of control. Less mange, they are full of it, far more than I have ever known. The weak and sick will be culled quickly. Blessing for all.
Page 6 of 27 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »