Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2005, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
Use the dinner bowl. Have the article in the kitchen. Get her to hold for a microsecond before you put her food down. No hold, no food. She will soon catch on Or, get her to open her mouth for a biscuit. Pop the dummy in, hold her mouth closed for a second and reward 'good hold' with the biscuit. She may not be 'happy' at first, but she will learn what is required and be willing to 'hold' for her dinner or a treat

Does she hold toys, sticks, shoes, the remote control, anything? Whenever she has something, no matter what, in her mouth use the command 'hold' and immediately praise 'good hold' and reward her. It does not have to be the dummy. She just needs to learn what 'hold' means and any object will do. Once she has learned what is required when you say 'hold' then she will be willing to hold anything - dummy included.
Great idea No Emm I hadnt thought of that

Ahhh *pling* the light went on Thank you SB

Will try that... Yes she holds toys and every time we've been out on walks, she holds my keys up the stairs

If I've bought small chewbones or toys in the supermarket, she will carry it all the way home.. It seems like its just the dummy...
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-07-2005, 10:12 AM
Yes!!! You can crack it Jeanette. Anything she is holding/carrying put the command word on it and praise, praise, reward, reward. She just needs to understand that when she has something in her mouth she is 'holding'. Seems to me that she has not yet understood that 'hold' = 'something in my mouth'. Take the dummy out when you are shopping walking & see if she will carry it. If she does, even for a second, then praise enthusiastically. Tell her she is the cleverest, most beautiful, most wonderful dog in the whole world Make sure you keep using & emphasizing the command word: good hold, clever hold, smart hold. Make her feel really pleased with herself & give her a super treat.

If that doesn't work try swapping held items over very quickly. Get her to hold keys, then, a toy, then a chew, etc., and then slip the dummy in. Change the order about. If you are quick she will grab the dummy when it is offered. If she does give the best reward so that she associates the jackpot with the dummy.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Yes!!! You can crack it Jeanette. Anything she is holding/carrying put the command word on it and praise, praise, reward, reward. She just needs to understand that when she has something in her mouth she is 'holding'. Seems to me that she has not yet understood that 'hold' = 'something in my mouth'. Take the dummy out when you are shopping walking & see if she will carry it. If she does, even for a second, then praise enthusiastically. Tell her she is the cleverest, most beautiful, most wonderful dog in the whole world Make sure you keep using & emphasizing the command word: good hold, clever hold, smart hold. Make her feel really pleased with herself & give her a super treat.

If that doesn't work try swapping held items over very quickly. Get her to hold keys, then, a toy, then a chew, etc., and then slip the dummy in. Change the order about. If you are quick she will grab the dummy when it is offered. If she does give the best reward so that she associates the jackpot with the dummy.
Oooh its so great to see "the light"

Today we went shopping with Kamille and Bella... On the way home a bread (wrapped in a bag) fell of the babycarriage..I took Luna to it.. And I got her to take it and hold it and bring it to Kamille.. And said "hold" all the time, and BIG happy praises afterwards

So I know she can
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-07-2005, 11:13 AM
There you go
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Just want remind everyone of the three T´s :
Things Take Time

Oh and just for you Nat:
And yes i totally agree with you he is testing me, of course he will he wants his own way he wants the easy option, but im not going to let him have it
I dont think Oscar is thinking "how do i trick her best". It is so new to him and he doesnt understand whats expected of him yet. Therefore take it slow, think ahead, read him when he´s on his way to do whats unwanted and correct/distract him so he does right. Your biggest task as the handler

And a bit of warning. You had no way to know this Emm, but to put something tasty on the dummies can make the dogs want to lick or chew it. Thats very bad and should be avoided
The trick is to make the retrieve an reward in itself
Its the way there that sometimes gets complicated due to conflits, habbits not picked up right away and sometimes a change of doing things
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2005, 05:40 PM
I don'r know if this is at all relevant to training working gundogs, but I teach the retrieve to hand by back-chaining: teach the 'hold' first, then the surrender, then the 'fetch' when the article is at my feet, then progress to the thrown article. The dog is taught from the start that the reward, whatever it is, comes only when she/he sits straight in front of me with the article and surrenders it when asked.
Hi SB and thanks for the advice
I think that might be a good way of going about it and seems logical to do that, he is not usually that bad at bringing objects back, but they are not to my feet which i want. So this sounds like it could work well thankyou for the advice its great to beable to see how others have trained there dogs the same command even if there not gundogs
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2005, 05:54 PM
Hiya AM
Originally Posted by amts
Just want remind everyone of the three T´s :
Things Take Time
Dont worry i wont forget, and realise that it will take time.

Oh and just for you Nat:

I dont think Oscar is thinking "how do i trick her best". It is so new to him and he doesnt understand whats expected of him yet. Therefore take it slow, think ahead, read him when he´s on his way to do whats unwanted and correct/distract him so he does right. Your biggest task as the handler :grin
Know i didnt mean it like that, sorry im really bad at explaining
i didnt mean that oscar was thinking how can i play her up, i ment that he does not understand whats going on as its all new to him but i wont give up because he does not understand, as i dont expect him to as i said earlier in that post.
Originally Posted by Natasha
but i will keep doing it until he understands and gets the hang of it after all it only the third day we have been doing it so he is still trying to understand what i want him to do

And a bit of warning. You had no way to know this Emm, but to put something tasty on the dummies can make the dogs want to lick or chew it. Thats very bad and should be avoided
The trick is to make the retrieve an reward in itself
Its the way there that sometimes gets complicated due to conflits, habbits not picked up right away and sometimes a change of doing things
Thats what im trying to do with oscar making the dummy the reward so he is eager to get it and im doing this by only using the dummy for training purposes, and not using it everyday so he does not become borred with it or think its a toy hope thats right
Thanks again Am for your great advice
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2005, 07:19 PM
Hi all

a little update from us

Today I've tried an advice I got from Gordon Lover...

I took the dummy, and played with it.. Threw it in the air, and shook it and things like this.. infront of Luna, but without involving her.. Then she got alert and wanted to play.. I let her take the dummy - YES she took the dummy!!!! and gave the command "hold", which she did untill I said "give" (well "tak" actually which is the danish word for thank you)...

*whispers* I even got her to sit and hold at the same time Not done before!!!

So a little careful yay! from here...

J
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2005, 08:22 PM
Thats good news J keep up the good work
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2005, 06:09 AM
Thank you Nat, and thanks for the kick in the behind earlier