Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I couldn't dispatch them personally (it took me years to be able to kill a dying fish!). Luckily myxi rabbits don't seem to be too commonplace around here at the moment; it comes and goes. In the past though my dogs have killed them.
I've done it to smaller animals, I wouldn't enjoy it but I don't think I could leave it like that either It was jst so lucky for me that the vets is so close, it was after morning surgery and there was only one guy in the waiting room so it was quiet and the bunny was dealt with quickly.

Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
I went to Gamekeeper who taught me how to do it correctly. My view, better for me to break its neck/kill immediately than for it to be stuck in the middle of a field, confused, blinded, in pain, unable to get out of the way of cars/dogs/cats/crows etc
That is a good idea, maybe I should do that, I would want to know the correct way to do it rather than causing it any more distress.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 12:14 PM
Break Neck, and then bash on head (just to make sure)
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
Break Neck, and then bash on head (just to make sure)
Do you twist or pull (or both)?
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 12:23 PM
Twist (all the way, beyond hearing/feeling the click)as you would for a Hen. If need be, I will use a jumper/blanket to hold the animal still and then a good bash (with a rock/stick or whatever is handy!)
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the info (now everything crossed very firmly I don't find another one for a long time).
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 12:42 PM
see...im quite ok with it now. I dont like finding them, but does mean a free meal (or two depending on the size) for the mutts.

I did shed a tear the other day, one of my cats had caught a Blue Tit, it had a huge hole in its side and a broken wing. Had to put it out its misery, but such a stunning example of our native wildlife
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 12:55 PM
I know, it's better that they are not left like that. I have heard that it can take about 20 days for them to die (unless they are run over or killed by a predator) and that is just terrible to think of.

I think if I've done it once it will be easier because a big worry for me is doing it wrong or not doing it quickly enough and causing it more distress.

The last creature I had to put out of it's misery was quite a large frog in the road, one of it's legs had been run over and it was just sort of dragging itself round in circles with a crushed leg I was out on my bike at the time and it really put a dampner on what had been a really good evening's ride Poor little guy.
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-09-2011, 01:05 PM
I've always been told to take them to vet to have them pts. Obviously phone ahead so they know
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 01:42 PM
TBH, if I found a mixy rabbit, it would be because the Boxers had chased it and brought it to me, more than likely dead
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by HollyG1 View Post
I've always been told to take them to vet to have them pts. Obviously phone ahead so they know
You see, I've always heard not to phone as it is easier to turn you away on the phone than it is in person. A friend of mine is an ecological consultant and on a survey found an injured (can't even remember now for sure ) ? hedgehog while on a survey and rang the local vet, who told her not to bring it in. So she just turned up at the next vets, who did take it in. It helped because I knew the system at my vets and knew that they would be very quiet at that time. I wouldn't have taken it up there at a time when they would have been really busy, I'm not sure what I would have done TBH. I did leave it in the car while I went in as I knew it had mxy and also know that vaccinated rabbits can still get mxy. They checked and saw there were no rabbits due in so asked me to bring it straight in.

Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
TBH, if I found a mixy rabbit, it would be because the Boxers had chased it and brought it to me, more than likely dead
No such luck for me I saw it out of the window and knew instantly what was wrong. I opened the squeaky back door, opened the squeaky porch door, walked within feet of it to get a spare box from the garage and it was still sat there when I walked right up to it and picked it up.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >