View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TheABCs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Not sure who your post is referring to, Smokeybear. I agreed with what you were saying... ? Is your post directed at Abbie?

PS: You'll have no trouble beating me. I'm trying desperately to keep my lurcher out of Grade 6, though she's already got a jumping win towards it. She loves to run, and, as someone said, a lot of Gr 6-7 courses are a bit like knitting patterns, not her cup of tea at all. My main aim in life is to keep her happy!
kobi
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-03-2011, 10:34 AM
What advice to beginners? Anybody remember this.
Why are some people against clicker training.
Thought it was totally benign way of training.
Shaping could be slow . Most people have the time if not the patience.
TheABCs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by kobi View Post
What advice to beginners? Anybody remember this.
Why are some people against clicker training.
Thought it was totally benign way of training.
Shaping could be slow . Most people have the time if not the patience.
I think that seems to be the way with threads, Kobi, they kind of branch off eventually, unfortunately, rather than keeping to the subject. It is a shame as there is a lot of good advice from people on this thread, things I had completely forgotten about, but which were so important at the beginning, such as making sure dogs were as confident on your right as left, if you did obedience as well.

There's a thread about clicker training on the go at the moment on the top of the 3 training threads...
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 12:35 PM
Yep heard that before. Control (E collar) Control (Pinch collar) Control (Shouting and keepng dogs away from other dogs

Then you get happy dogs trained in the right environment and things go right. So what if they bark they are happy!!

May take longer but I would much prefer a happy dog that does agility or whatever because they love it

It was Abbie, What training methods do you disagree with me about Abbie?

Abbie why have you mentioned Control (E collar) Control (Pinch collar) Control (Shouting and keepng dogs away from other dogs What have any of these things got to do with the way I train MY dogs AND those of other people?

Perhaps you could let me know where and when you have met me and my dogs and when you saw me shouting at them or putting an e collar on them?

If you are going to cast aspersions at my training methods, please a) first ensure that you understand what methods I use and then b) clarify your points.

If you disagree with clicker training that is your prerogative, I have never said it was the ONLY way to train, many of the people I revere the most have never touched a clicker in their lives.

Does not mean it does not work though, just that you prefer not to use it, that is your choice.

Does not make the method any less effective though!

So Abbie please let me know why my training methods are so repugnant to you.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 12:41 PM
not sure what the problem about control is control is everything in agility imo
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 12:46 PM
It is everything in ALL sports IME!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
It is everything in ALL sports IME!
yes it is ... but this thread is about one particular sport
TheABCs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2011, 07:30 PM
There's something in the Kennel Club handbook, worth bearing in mind when you're starting off, saying that agility should be fun. Don't put yourself under lots of pressure, enjoy yourself, and the luxury of having Grades 1 and 2 all to yourselves, the Oners and Two-ers!

Can't remember the exact wording, but one of our judges, who's a really lovely chap, had it printed off, and hung up beside his ring. Sometimes, people get so caught up in the competition, they forget this bit. Maybe somebody knows the wording I'm talking about, and could post it up for me. Thanks.
TheABCs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2011, 07:38 PM
Found the regulation, here it is, H(1):

2. Agility Shows are considered to be "fun competitions" designed for enjoyment by competitors, their dogs and for appeal to spectators. Informality is encouraged and maximum discretion is granted to Societies within the constraints of safety and these Regulations. Nothing may be included in an Agility Test which could endanger the safety of the dogs competing, the handlers or the spectators.
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by TheABCs View Post
Found the regulation, here it is, H(1):

2. Agility Shows are considered to be "fun competitions" designed for enjoyment by competitors, their dogs and for appeal to spectators. Informality is encouraged and maximum discretion is granted to Societies within the constraints of safety and these Regulations. Nothing may be included in an Agility Test which could endanger the safety of the dogs competing, the handlers or the spectators.
That sounds great to me I am definitely going to get into this with Bentley and totally for fun and to help us bond even more. I just want him to have fun and maybe be tired at the end....just maybe
Is it worth getting any books about agility to help get into the swing of things? And can anyone recommend a good agility group near Guildford, Surrey?
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >