Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ravenwood
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-02-2011, 11:10 PM
LOL - you have a great sense of humour YS

I am enjoying reading about JC's exploits!

Could you take all the other horses out of the field and catch him then? Is there a barn/stable you could put him in for a few days to get some ground work done with him?

Good luck with him - I am looking forward to the next instalment
mad4jacks
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-02-2011, 12:40 AM
Originally Posted by Ravenwood View Post

Could you take all the other horses out of the field and catch him then? Is there a barn/stable you could put him in for a few days to get some ground work done with him?

That would make him worse if we took the other guys away.
He will get there Steph has done wonders with Jimmy, since she has had him.
When i picked him up and took him home and then let him out no one could get near him..........
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 07:17 AM
Originally Posted by Sarah88 View Post
This diary is giving me a good giggle this evening! I can just imagine you chasing wee JC around whilst being followed by giant Billybob (probably wanting your attention all for himself )!!!

Great to hear your progress, even if it is little by little. He'll get there eventually and I'm sure will be a wonderful pony in the end

Just seen Odie too... He's goooorgeous! Not sure I could have parted with Billybob though... He's a stunner too... I'd just want to keep them allll!!! Not that I'm greedy...

xoxox
There will be a few tears when Billybob goes but at least he is going to someone we know.
I have said ''who knows in 18 months or so if Kath no longer has use he might come back to ME!!!!!!!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 07:36 AM

You know JC is clever, whether others are there and stabled, or whether others are out, he can be a real minx But past memories of his handling does this

There are photo's of JC where the head collar in inbedded right into his head and he has suffered beating in the past too. He was tethered for 2 years just because they said they couldnt catch him

Luckily when I have him in my arms he isn't head shy anymore....which you would expect, but the slightlest arm movement will send him over the other side of the field, as he is still expecting a beating.
Or if in a stable and someone makes a sudden movement he'll take flight round and round, its abit scarey but one thing have gotten to know now is he won't kick me he will go out of his way now to avoid knocking into me
I was sat on the floor a few days back and he was in my lap .... silly thing my FS spooked him and he went over the top of me but went out of his way to miss me.

I have realised that he has some trust with me, he wants me, he wants love, he wants attention, but at the moment he is still remembering past fears.....once I get him past that, he will (I know) come round Its all about time patience,calmnest,and doggy firm voice
No-one could touch him when he first arrived, but I can now. And when he takes flight now I can stop him by my doggy fim voice of ''Jimmychoo NO Stand'' and he will stop dead in his tracks. He used to bite, something he has stopped so he is getting there.......it will be a long journey thats all, but Im not a quitter and I think he is realising that
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 12:30 PM
glad it's all going well sis. I'm sooo looking foreard to seeing JC with a head collar and his blanky on am sure it wont be too long. i'm sure it will get easier as the weather improves and the long balmy evenings arrive, then you can spend a lot more time with him.

xxxxxx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
glad it's all going well sis. I'm sooo looking foreard to seeing JC with a head collar and his blanky on am sure it wont be too long. i'm sure it will get easier as the weather improves and the long balmy evenings arrive, then you can spend a lot more time with him.

xxxxxx
We'll get ther sis, we'll get there
Ravenwood
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Poor little chap - I hadn't realised that he had that history

Sounds like you have made huge steps with him already then

He's a cracking looking little pony and I see a very bright future ahead for the two of you
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Today.... Had a wonderful time, Jimmychoo accepted the working area that we have fenced off, and went in without any spooked movements/running off.

OK hand feeding a must, one because he like the one-2-one and 2) because it gives me time to have a long chat with him.
We had a game of find the pony nuts in the grass, something that he seems to like,I drop pony nuts down then I scrape the grass and he uses his foot/scrapes to help
Then Marie and I got him getting used to us waving our arms about in gesture, Im sure the drivers in vehicles passing must of thought we we're having a nutty moment but we we're talking aload of nuiscience and gesturing with our arms....he scooted once, second time Marie managed to run her hand down his side as he passed her, and third time, he walked past looking at the pair of us like we were having some type of hissyfit
I told him to 'come to MOM' and he came closer, I let him smell the rope in my hand, and he got a treat for being a good boy, eventually I was rubbing the rope up and down his nose, touching both sides of his head, giving him ear rubs etc., I let the rope rest on his nose, first at the top then near his mouth.

Might seem a small thing to some, but this was a wonderful step forward for him. He had a fuss, allowing both hands either side of his face, a kiss and then we told him he could ''''end his lesson'''', he had a treat and we opened the doorway.

Tomorrow, we'll start over again with that and hopefully work towards dropping the rope over his neck

So proud....good boy JC
Ravenwood
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-02-2011, 09:44 PM
Fabulous progress - well done
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Fabulous progress - well done
Thank you that took nearly an hour, I know to some it must feel a lost cause, but for him its major steps...bless him.
Im working on the trust, slowly slowly, its working because he's looking towards my pockets for his treat
Page 4 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »