25-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Not perpared to lose again!
Dont be daft.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 12:08 PM
For whatever reason I think it's still a shame he was shot. It happened just up the road from us as well.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Feel quite sad that he was killed, he was a good looking boy.... Only consolation is he probably had a good life and the ending was probably quick...
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 01:08 PM
After reading the article about this stag, it occurs to me that there may have been some back-room negotiations going on so that this stag could be disposed of at this time, rather than later. The article said he was not past his prime; it did not say he was diseased and ill, but it did say he was the largest red deer stag on Exmoor and so he would make a prestige trophy for someone. I wonder if the opportnity to make a fee from this animal was a consideration. Someone came along who was prepared to pay a high price for the trophy head and rather than wait until he was really ready to cull a deal was done this this year rather than leave him another year. I am cynical and it is just a thought.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Thing that strikes me is that people KNOW it was him as he was seen on the road, yet nobody saw the animal removed? Weird that, you'd think all these "do gooders" would wait in anticipation for those responsible for this "terrible" act, or was it? Not in my book, but how come people are asking who did it, yet they are sure they did? You cant leave a beast on the road like that, already had been gralloched and bled, surely somebody saw the hunter responsible?
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Licensed Deer shooters are not trophy hunters, you are reading all the rubbish again! That stag has probably done his bit over the years and if left to continue to mate, will saturate the population leading to inbreeding and deformities. Its called "management."
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
It was culled because it needed to be, period. If they want to spend thousands getting that head mounted, let them, I wouldnt want to, couldnt think of anything more gruesome on the wall!! Still, the Deer will have been killed quickly and efficiently, thats good enough for me when its all above board. If it was poached, that would be VERY different!
BD if you were living in this area and you were hearing the whole story maybe you would be seeing it differently.
This was a beautiful animal that didn't need to die and whether it was a licensed hunter or not there was no need for this beast to die.
We are in the middle of the rutting season, when no one should be out shooting deer. It had been hoped that his genes could be passed on for a lot longer.

Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Beautiful animal.. such a shame..But Im not getting into that argument again
No nor me. I find it far too upsetting that "animal lovers" find joy, entertainment, satisfaction from killing any animal.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
BD if you were living in this area and you were hearing the whole story maybe you would be seeing it differently.
This was a beautiful animal that didn't need to die and whether it was a licensed hunter or not there was no need for this beast to die.
We are in the middle of the rutting season, when no one should be out shooting deer. It had been hoped that his genes could be passed on for a lot longer.
No I wouldnt see it any differently at all. We have a HUGE Red Deer herd by us, we hear them rutting, we see them most days, we see the damage they do, we have had to listen to damn "air bombs" for months because of the crop damage they do and the sapling trees are destroyed too! So please, dont for one second think I would take a sentimental view over an animal that had lived a long life, passed on his genes, then was culled legally and correctly.

I would have taken a different view if he has been taken illegally, ripped to shreds, or run into the ground first, but he wasnt.

He was also spared probable damage from other younger stags in the future who may well of injured him seriously or worse.
Page 2 of 51 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »