Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
molezak
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-08-2010, 12:54 PM
[QUOTE=Helena54;2027319]

QUOTE "Schedule 7 to the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 provides an exemption to Section 6 of the Ground Game Act 1880 which prohibits the use of firearms on land at night to kill ground game.

SCHEDULE 7
Notwithstanding the provisions of section 6 of the Ground Game Act 1880, it shall not be unlawful for the occupier of any land himself, or one other person authorised by him under section 1 of the Act, to use firearms for the purpose of killing ground game thereon between the expiration of the first hour after sunset and the commencement of the last hour before sunrise if (except where he has the exclusive right) the occupier has the written authority of the other persons entitled to kill and take the ground game on the land." unquote

QUOTE]

In Layman's terms -

Notwithstanding section 6 of the Ground Game Act 1880, it is lawful for the occupier (tenant) or one other person authorised by him to use firearms for the purpose of killing ground game between the end of the 1st hour after dark and the start of the last hour before sunrise i.e. overnight. The occupier (tenant) having the written authority from the landowner and/or sporting rights holder.

The Ground Game Act 1880 relates to occupiers (note it says occupier not owner) of land. It was designed to protect tenant farmers who did NOT have the sporting rights (shooting) on their tenanted land. The Act enabled them or one other person to control rabbits/hares that were damaging their crops and therefore livelihood.

The amendment you have pointed out just confirms this right but adds the alteration that they can LEGALLY now shoot from 1 hour after dusk to 1 hour before dawn. I suggest you actually carefully read what it says.

If someone is the owner or holds exclusive sporting rights they can shoot whenever and give permission to whomever they like.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Hares can be legally shot, and since the ban, they are slaughtered in their thousands.
I was afeared you were going to say that Dawn. That is very sad
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-08-2010, 08:36 PM
Meant to add, there is no closed season for shooting hare either, they can be shot all year round. Now that the ban is in force, farmers dont get the help from those that did control the numbers, therefore farmers want them rid of. They are now shot enmasse.
One farmer i know Dawn didnt want the hares shot and only recently i must have seen atleast 300 one night while lamping rabbits.Thing is,he now admits that the population is reaching epidemic numbers and they're going to have to be reduced.

Last lot of rabbits by the way were given to a wildlife park-for the big cats!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2010, 11:46 AM
[QUOTE=molezak;2027997]
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post

QUOTE "Schedule 7 to the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 provides an exemption to Section 6 of the Ground Game Act 1880 which prohibits the use of firearms on land at night to kill ground game.

SCHEDULE 7
Notwithstanding the provisions of section 6 of the Ground Game Act 1880, it shall not be unlawful for the occupier of any land himself, or one other person authorised by him under section 1 of the Act, to use firearms for the purpose of killing ground game thereon between the expiration of the first hour after sunset and the commencement of the last hour before sunrise if (except where he has the exclusive right) the occupier has the written authority of the other persons entitled to kill and take the ground game on the land." unquote

QUOTE]

In Layman's terms -

Notwithstanding section 6 of the Ground Game Act 1880, it is lawful for the occupier (tenant) or one other person authorised by him to use firearms for the purpose of killing ground game between the end of the 1st hour after dark and the start of the last hour before sunrise i.e. overnight. The occupier (tenant) having the written authority from the landowner and/or sporting rights holder.

The Ground Game Act 1880 relates to occupiers (note it says occupier not owner) of land. It was designed to protect tenant farmers who did NOT have the sporting rights (shooting) on their tenanted land. The Act enabled them or one other person to control rabbits/hares that were damaging their crops and therefore livelihood.

The amendment you have pointed out just confirms this right but adds the alteration that they can LEGALLY now shoot from 1 hour after dusk to 1 hour before dawn. I suggest you actually carefully read what it says.

If someone is the owner or holds exclusive sporting rights they can shoot whenever and give permission to whomever they like.
When I first saw that section weeks ago, if I read it once, I must have read it twenty times, and the way I read it, was that the shooting must cease before that one hour after sunset and not start until the one hour before sunrise!! I can't believe it's now as clear as crystal to me (you haven't changed the words have you!!!! ). Yes, it's allowed then according to that section we both quoted Looks like I'm in for some more sleepless nights then! Thanks for that Molezak.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-08-2010, 06:43 PM
[QUOTE=Helena54;2029487]
Originally Posted by molezak View Post

Looks like I'm in for some more sleepless nights then! Thanks for that Molezak.
Why not ask them if they could maybe use a moderated gun? Its a perfectly reasonable request and because they're much quieter it keeps everyone happy.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2010, 07:04 PM
I'll mention that next time I see them Steve. Today we had two big, loud gunshots, just the two, and yet when they're shooting, you'd think they'd be firing lots of shots wouldn't you? Same as at night, you just hear one or two at long intervals, I just find it all a bit odd! Thanks Steve, nice to see you btw!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
One farmer i know Dawn didnt want the hares shot and only recently i must have seen atleast 300 one night while lamping rabbits.Thing is,he now admits that the population is reaching epidemic numbers and they're going to have to be reduced.

Last lot of rabbits by the way were given to a wildlife park-for the big cats!
Yes Steve, they have rapidly reached huge numbers in many places, breed like Rabbits they do!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I'll mention that next time I see them Steve. Today we had two big, loud gunshots, just the two, and yet when they're shooting, you'd think they'd be firing lots of shots wouldn't you? Same as at night, you just hear one or two at long intervals, I just find it all a bit odd! Thanks Steve, nice to see you btw!
You're not listening to bird/deer scarer's are you?
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-08-2010, 07:42 PM
You're not listening to bird/deer scarer's are you?
Gas guns are a reasonable explanation Dawn.One farmer i know often has a bit of trouble from kids messing with the timers when they set them to start going off at night instead of every 30 minutes during the day.Then he gets a flood of complaints from the villagers.

Could also be teenagers with rope bangers?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Gas guns are a reasonable explanation Dawn.One farmer i know often has a bit of trouble from kids messing with the timers when they set them to start going off at night instead of every 30 minutes during the day.Then he gets a flood of complaints from the villagers.

Could also be teenagers with rope bangers?
They are a damn nuisance. LOUD either once, twice or three times, then nothing for about half hour or more. Driven us NUTS lately!!
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >