View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2007, 09:03 PM
What a brilliant picture! Aw what a sweetie she is!
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by myschievous View Post
Which one caught the rabbit or was it a joint effort? Keena and Takoda hunt as a team alot of the time which is quite interesting to watch. I bet Luca 'kicked herself' as the pheasant flew off just as she got the mouse lol. Keena was startled by a pheasent when she was a pup it flew up right beside her as she had disturbed it, she launched into the air to try to catch it back out of the sky and ended up with it's tail feathers in her mouth - it got away but very disgruntled having lost it's fancy butt feathers lol.
It was a joint effort between Luca, Storm and Lupin. Lupin was the one that actually claimed the prize though

Originally Posted by patterdale fan View Post
Hi.

My dogs are worked regularly, and live for the hunt! We catch around 5-6 rabbits weekly. Although this is obviously distateful to some people, its preferable to some of the methods used to rid an area of rabbits.

We live in a rural area, and our local farmer pays us a small amount to work the dogs on his land. Before this arrangement the farmer regularly put down myxamatosis (sp?) infected fleas in rabbit holes on his land. Mixie is an awful disease, and an infected rabbit will suffer a painful, lingering death.

IMO hunting is far more humane.

I hope you rewarded your dogs for their success!
I agree with you. It's certainly quicker too. We have hundreds of rabbits here, and like you, I live in a very rural area.

Once they finished de-furring and playing wiht it, my OH gutted and skinned the rest of it and they had it for thier tea

Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
What a brilliant picture! Aw what a sweetie she is!
Isn't she just
metz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-09-2007, 03:18 PM
well done for catching one, cocoa just flushes them out as she is trained to do, and metz by the time she got there the rabbit is well gone lol
jannie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-09-2007, 05:49 PM
Great news,I don't hunt my 2 dogs because i was too scared i'd be done for poaching.I have a boxer x staff, he is fast.I also have an Irish Staff.I know he can catch rabbits.So I just might have a go this weekend.Thanks from Jannie.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2007, 06:28 PM
If it's on someone elses land Jannie, make sure you get written permission from the land owner first.

If by any chance they manage to catch one that's stupid enough to run out in front of them while you're 'walking' them, then that's tough

I'm going to have to keep a close eye on the dogs for the time being. My OH 'terminated' a rabbit yesterday that had mixymitosis (sp??)
jannie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-09-2007, 06:30 PM
Didn't know they still used it,thanks.Guess i will stick to frozen rabbit cubes.
mucky_pup
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-11-2007, 12:42 PM
lets hope they dont stray onto a farmers field while chasing the little rabbit and end up getting hurt..
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by mucky_pup View Post
lets hope they dont stray onto a farmers field while chasing the little rabbit and end up getting hurt..
Hopefully they won,t. Not a big fan of hunting, sorry, taught mine NOT to chase, too many cats around and I'd hate to think they didn,t spot the difference
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

14-11-2007, 04:15 PM
Well done to them !

I don't really encourage mine to chase although much depends on where we are.

I'm not sure Breagh has ever seen a rabbit however Fingal and Skye are a pretty good team.

I guess between Fingal (Springer) 'flushing' and Skye (deerhound cross) 'coursing' they really are a unit designed to do just this.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2007, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Well done to them !

I don't really encourage mine to chase although much depends on where we are.

I'm not sure Breagh has ever seen a rabbit however Fingal and Skye are a pretty good team.

I guess between Fingal (Springer) 'flushing' and Skye (deerhound cross) 'coursing' they really are a unit designed to do just this.
You and Karen are more than welcome to bring down Skye and Fingal here. They'd love the field and all of them would hopefully teach Breagh a thing or two (that's if I haven't whisked her off to the barns for a quick cuddle )
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >