Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest View Post
Thank you - he appreciates that kind of remark!

His last appearance at the County Show was not as happy, though. I was kneeling beside him, giving him a last dust-down, when the judge came along - "How old is this dog?" she asked. I replied that he was 10.
"So he's 'Old Blue Eyes', is he?", she remarked, then she ignored him and moved on to the next dog. I was somewhat annoyed, not because he wasn't placed (I hadn't expected it, at his age), but because she hadn't even looked!

Kali was used to Shows by this time ("This is where we walk about in a circle, then someone comes and gives me a ribbon!") and, evidently, had his own expectations, because he looked so dejected, as if he thought he'd done something wrong - so I took him along the showground and bought him a burger. As he ate it (with evident enjoyment), Mrs S and I decided it was time for him to retire, so now he goes only as a spectator. I can almost hear him thinking...."I did that much better, in my day!" - as he did, of course

Snorri
Better let Kali know the OLD is BEAUTIFUL.........defo.

Old Blue Eyes....hummmm don't know a good dog when she see's one. By the way just been looking at your wesite Kali you and your brother are stunning........and where you live...Oh I wish I lived there, maybe cold at times, but I wouldn't care. I just think it is beautiful xxxxx
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
.Oh I wish I lived there, maybe cold at times, but I wouldn't care. I just think it is beautiful xxxxx
Actually, statistically speaking, the annual mean temperature is three degrees higher than it is in Edinburgh! It's the wind that gets to you (it NEVER rains vertically here, but ALWAYS horizontally ) We don't get snow much, but when we do get it, we get it in truckloads. The biggest thing to get used to (some ladies, beware!) is that there are very few shops! We have Boots, Woolworths, and soon a Tesco, otherwise nothing you'd recognise. Most stuff comes by mail-order, or more recently, by online shopping. I came here directly from living in Edinburgh, and I have to say I found it delightfully quiet (with the small exception of murdering Indian waiters ). My first visit back to Edinburgh, I noticed how bad it smelled after several months of fresh-mown hay and cowsh*t! I've even got used to the 2 a.m. flypast of peeping oystercatchers, which can be deafening at first! To offset the lack of shopping facilities, we do have a good market in Border Collies!

Snorri
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Actually, statistically speaking, the annual mean temperature is three degrees higher than it is in Edinburgh! It's the wind that gets to you (it NEVER rains vertically here, but ALWAYS horizontally ) We don't get snow much, but when we do get it, we get it in truckloads. The biggest thing to get used to (some ladies, beware!) is that there are very few shops! We have Boots, Woolworths, and soon a Tesco, otherwise nothing you'd recognise. Most stuff comes by mail-order, or more recently, by online shopping. I came here directly from living in Edinburgh, and I have to say I found it delightfully quiet (with the small exception of murdering Indian waiters ). My first visit back to Edinburgh, I noticed how bad it smelled after several months of fresh-mown hay and cowsh*t! I've even got used to the 2 a.m. flypast of peeping oystercatchers, which can be deafening at first! To offset the lack of shopping facilities, we do have a good market in Border Collies!

Snorri
sounds lovely place snorri ,but really no SHOPS
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2008, 07:44 PM
it is strange being border collie owners ,you do all most look for other collie owners to chat with ,as you do feel you have a kindship ,shame when ,they blank you ,very hurtfull i rekon ,no need for it at all . never mind steph you got me, and stunning baby bruce only went to introduce him self
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
Shame she couldn't say hello. She couldn't be deaf by any chance, could she?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2008, 07:55 PM

Snorri
Snorri.....if I could get the nod from my OH I'd be there like a shot.....that is heaven to me. Queenwillow...would have to do without shops......errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr wot you think Tracey xxxxx
Originally Posted by queenwillow View Post
it is strange being border collie owners ,you do all most look for other collie owners to chat with ,as you do feel you have a kindship ,shame when ,they blank you ,very hurtfull i rekon ,no need for it at all . never mind steph you got me, and stunning baby bruce only went to introduce him self
That me and you Hun....heading off to all BC's owners....thats because we are hopelessly addicted
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-06-2008, 01:56 AM
I don't miss the shops much, as I only "need" one or two of them (CDs, DVDs, bits of wire and dog treats). The national costume for men consists of a blue boiler suit, and for women - jeans, cardigan, pinny and curlers. Welly boots are unisex. Fashion capital of Europe, it ain't.

Otherwise, to survive, you must have access to a vehicle, and something to drown out the sound of the wind (a good CD player!). You need a set of Ordnance Survey maps, and know how to read them (at least on arrival).

The first time I ever set foot here (early 1960s), there was hardly any electric power, and no TV. Now, a computer is pretty much "de rigeur", because just about everywhere is wired.

Snorri
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2008, 03:36 PM
I don't miss the shops much, as I only "need" one or two of them (CDs, DVDs, bits of wire and dog treats). The national costume for men consists of a blue boiler suit, and for women - jeans, cardigan, pinny and curlers. Welly boots are unisex. Fashion capital of Europe, it ain't.

Otherwise, to survive, you must have access to a vehicle, and something to drown out the sound of the wind (a good CD player!). You need a set of Ordnance Survey maps, and know how to read them (at least on arrival).

The first time I ever set foot here (early 1960s), there was hardly any electric power, and no TV. Now, a computer is pretty much "de rigeur", because just about everywhere is wired.

Snorri
lol i got the picture ,see i love to go walk round the shops ,but then im a city girl if you are used to the quiet and the space around ,im sure your likes change ,early 60s , hey i was born in the 60s
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2