Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
arctic.wolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2008, 07:13 AM
Originally Posted by mcgregorkh View Post
I thought that police dogs were trained in Schutzhund, in which case they are taught not to bite but to hold and contain the person.

If anyone was daft enough to take me on then bigger fool them and fair play to my dogs if they got bitten. Would have to be very good runners My dogs don't guard me at all when we are out but I am 100% certain that if I needed them they would be there

yes police dogs are trained to hold, but if one accidentally took a chunk out of some scumbag while it was protecting its handler, that would be fine by me.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 07:21 AM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
I
If you were walking your dog and someone approached you and attacked you, say they attempted to mug you and ended up pulling out a knife, or God forbid wanted to sexually assault you and your dog took a chunk out of them in your defence... what would you do?
Be very thankful my dog was there - and she didn't get hurt.
Hope I never get to find out if she would protect me.

I liked the policeman who said "what dogs?" - good man! and I loved Claire and Daisy's oh so British incident
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 07:27 AM
my old dog cassie bit my ex somewhere i wouldnt mention on a forum but was his own fault.

he came home in middle of night drunk and i had told her she had to look after her mum. the only thing is she never bit him when he was hitting me.

sue
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by arctic.wolf View Post
I must have missed that part.

I think that any dog biting to protect their owner is a completely different scenario to the one on the other thread.

Mine have never had to protect me yet, I hope that they would, but wouldn't be surprised if Talli just wanted to play with an attacker. And yes I do hope that their size would put anyone off trying, and I feel safer walking with them than on my own. If anything ever happened and they did protect me, they would get lots of fuss and praise.

In some situations it is perfectly ok for a dog to bite, eg a police dog doing it's duty.
There were people that said, regardless of the situation, it is not ok and the dog would be pts. I'm not debating it - that's the way it was said and I know it's a totally different scenario, hence stating so in my OP

I take it you weren't around when the hoo hah about training police dogs to 'head butt' rather than bite was posted then?

Having known of someone around here who hadn't actually done anything wrong and had a chunk taken out of him by a police dog who wasn't under proper control - I wouldn't be so quick to say 'it's ok by me' if a police dog bites. They are trained to very high standards for a reason.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 08:20 AM
I would hope my dog would protect me by just showing teeth and growling and lunging, I certainly wouldn't want him to bite. In this day and age with our stupid laws often coming down on the side of the criminal and not the victim, the scum would probably make a big thing about being bitten and wanting the dog pts. As well as probably trying to claim compensation from me.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-06-2008, 08:47 AM
If anyone was that stupid, I would let the dogs eat the evidence
I was flashed at once a very long time ago while walking the kids to school through the woods and my Cocker spaniel Shannon flew out of the trees where he had been poking about and gave chase, jumping and snapping at the bloke as he legged it.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2008, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
If anyone was that stupid, I would let the dogs eat the evidence
I was flashed at once a very long time ago while walking the kids to school through the woods and my Cocker spaniel Shannon flew out of the trees where he had been poking about and gave chase, jumping and snapping at the bloke as he legged it.
sorry i read that wrong and took it to mean the man had been poking about - and i wondered what bit of him was poking about !! pmsl

sorry !!! but made me laugh
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Would be the biggest steaks ever for my two, and lots and lots of cuddles x
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by mcgregorkh View Post
I thought that police dogs were trained in Schutzhund, in which case they are taught not to bite but to hold and contain the person.
Police dogs are taught to bite!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2008, 03:16 PM
It I were attacked then I would be more than happy for my dogs to bite the attacker.

I don't think there is a court in the land who would look unfavourably on a dog who was protecting its owner.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >