View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris_Collins
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-06-2008, 02:06 PM
I think the difference that needs to be made is that a dog that attacks without provocation obviously has extreme issues that need to be resolved. In this day and age, and the throw-away society as a whole, it is easier for governing bodies to destroy than to resolve.

If a dog attacks through provocation then I believe it is doing what comes naturally.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by sallyinlancs View Post
One of the reasons I chose NIs is that I feel safe while out walking them alone - especially in the dark. This was an important consideration for me in choosing the right breed. I hope my dogs' protection ability is never tested. I'm not confident that either of my dogs would try to ward off an attacker but rely on the look of them to put potential attackers off.
fair enough

i didnt choose my dog to give off a look (well a little springer x - wow scary! ) if i did i honestly would have chosen a rottie/shepherd etc,,,,, because they are big - and in the wrong hands sadly get abad name......

i wouldnt ever have a rottie - as fab as they are tbh as i dont think i have the experience for them - mabey in 10 years....
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Well having actually been in this position myself....I was very glad Reah and Meg were there. Just before I met Patrick I used to live in a flat (waiting a move to Lincoln at the time) I popped out to walk the dogs around 9pm on a November night , when I arrived back and went to go in the lift I was suddenly slammed against the lift walls and the mugger shut the doors and pulled out a standley Knife, fortunately Meg had managed to get in the lift too before the doors shut, he was badly bitten on the arm by her, but as the lift doors re-opened (as they do)Reah flew in and had his leg. When he was arrested by the police....I asked 'Are my dogs going to be put down', as he had a number of deep bites both to his arm and leg.....the Police Officers replied 'what dogs' and winked
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Having always had GSD`s I`ve never been attacked (even hoodies aren`t suicidally daft). I have, however, been confronted with a flasher, complete with archetypal raincoat. I stared at him. The dog stared at him. The no. 2 son holding pushchair stared at him. I thought - well I suppose I should scream or something? So I let out a scream, small child woke up and howled, and the dog let out an unconvinced whuffle. The flasher loped away in a leisurely fashion. All a bit...British, somehow
I know the circumstance weren't funny, but your description of it has just cracked me right up.

If your dog had been less shocked he could of had a sausage and a couple of meatballs for lunch.

To answer Lottie's question, a couple of mine have verbally come to Michelle's defence when some drunks have come to close for their liking. With my lot if you don't take heed to the verbal warning, then you only have yourself to blame.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 02:17 PM
Have been threatened on two occasions once as a youngster, once more recentlywhen a man jumped at me out of a hedge. On forst occasion my dog pinne the mab to a tree, & he ran off as soon as she was called off by my father. In the second instance the dog leapt in front of me growling, the bloke hadn't seen him. He shouted he only wanted a light & hurredly left the scene. I was very proud of my noy when he did that as he was usually friends to everyone we met.
Neither dog actually bit but when I was a child the first bitch I mentioned had to be put away if we played tig as she didn't like anyone hitting another.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 02:49 PM
i was followed whilst out with an ex's GSD. we were down the old railway embankment when this scruffy bloke came from nowhere and walked a ffew paces behind. i put the dog back on his lead as i had a very queer feeling. the bloke suddenly sped up and the dog flew into a barking frenzy at him. i hung on to the dog and the bloke threatened to kill the dog if it touched him. i told him to p*** off and said he shouldnt creep up on people scaring them and if he came any nearer i'd let the dog go.
he ran off leaving me in tears and shaking.

god did i hug that dog.

even now i take H with me if i have to go out on my own. during the evening, whatever time of the year. i dont trust anyone.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-06-2008, 02:52 PM
This happened when I was about 10 (so not yesterday!), and just about to move on to secondary school. I was out for a walk with my faithful buddy Glen, my first ever Border Collie, when three boys from the rival school stopped me, and got ready to give me a thumping. Their plans went awry, however, when a large Border Collie stuck his face in and showed them how white his teeth were, and that he had a wall of them, and a deep rumble hiding behind them. The boys didn't know, of course, that Glen was a total wimp and would have been on the point of running away, but I was very grateful that they didn't stay to test Glen's mettle! I took him to town for the rest of his walk, and bought him a bone. I doubt that he knew what he was getting it for, but that didn't stop him from enjoying it!

Snorri
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Some of you posters have such fabulous ways with words

If it happened to me it would be a steak for Mo too.

However I think the possibility of Mo turning guard dog is as likely as Mo eating a steak, unless it was cut up for her first
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Having always had GSD`s I`ve never been attacked (even hoodies aren`t suicidally daft). I have, however, been confronted with a flasher, complete with archetypal raincoat. I stared at him. The dog stared at him. The no. 2 son holding pushchair stared at him. I thought - well I suppose I should scream or something? So I let out a scream, small child woke up and howled, and the dog let out an unconvinced whuffle. The flasher loped away in a leisurely fashion. All a bit...British, somehow
We were on a night out, myself and a group of friends, on our way out of a night club we were flashed. I pointed to it and said 'how cute, an extra belly button!' Most of the girls were either shocked or laughing and then one of my friends marched right up to him and wacked him round the head with her handbag granny styley. LOL

Now, back on topic. If my dog bit defending me or my family in that sense then no, they would not be PTS. What the mugger or rapist is intending to do is far worse than a dog could do.

Heidi
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 03:07 PM
definetly a steak if bruno defended me or my family.

I think it does show loyalty and it would be tragic if a dog defending his owner had to be PTS due to that.

After all self defense can be claimed by humans and that all the dog would be doing !!
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >