View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 01:34 PM

If you were attacked whilst walking your dog...

I don't want to start another debate about dogs biting people in general - I'm interested in one specific question.

The reason I want to ask this is because on a thread that's been recently locked, many people said regardless of why their dog bit someone it would be destroyed and it got me thinking.

If you were walking your dog and someone approached you and attacked you, say they attempted to mug you and ended up pulling out a knife, or God forbid wanted to sexually assault you and your dog took a chunk out of them in your defence... what would you do?

Would you still be contemplating having the dog destroyed or would you be glad your dog had been there?

I know my dog would be getting a big fat juicy steak and I'm much more confident to walk anywhere without human company now that I have a dog.

How do you feel about it?
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 01:37 PM
cook the biggest steak ever for my dog

protection in that case imo is the best loyalty ever....
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 01:38 PM
damn right!
if anyone tried to attack me and she bit then she would be treated like a queen!!

not just the princess she is now!! lol!
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-06-2008, 01:39 PM
Again they would get more treats than they could handle.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 01:42 PM
Having always had GSD`s I`ve never been attacked (even hoodies aren`t suicidally daft). I have, however, been confronted with a flasher, complete with archetypal raincoat. I stared at him. The dog stared at him. The no. 2 son holding pushchair stared at him. I thought - well I suppose I should scream or something? So I let out a scream, small child woke up and howled, and the dog let out an unconvinced whuffle. The flasher loped away in a leisurely fashion. All a bit...British, somehow
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Having always had GSD`s I`ve never been attacked (even hoodies aren`t suicidally daft). I have, however, been confronted with a flasher, complete with archetypal raincoat. I stared at him. The dog stared at him. The no. 3 son in pushchair stared at him. I thought - well I suppose I should scream or something? So I let out a scream, small child woke up and howled, and the dog let out an unconvinced whuffle. The flasher loped away in a leisurely fashion. All a bit...British, somehow
sorry that really made me chuckle!!!!
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Ben would run a mile!! But in the unlikely event he decided to take a chunk he would get endless cuddles, treats and pigs ears. I see that as the ultimate loyalty. I mean I wouldn't want him to attack someone he thought was threatening, the person would have to actually attack and I would have to be unable to retaliate etc

But yeah I would be happy (I say happy but I don't actually mean happy I just can't think of a more appropriate word) if Ben defended me. Hope I never have to put it to the test though
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
Hope I never have to put it to the test though
Oh me too - I doubt I'd ever need to as the one time we've come close was when someone was intimidating me and Takara (finally) picked up on my anxiety and the fact I was tensing on the lead big time and she barked, he quickly left us alone!

I do worry that she would get herself hurt in an attempt to help me if I were in trouble, so I hope it never has to be put to the test!
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2008, 01:58 PM
our old dog todd was the ultimate loyal dog - my mum was threatened by a drunk once - todd pinned (not biting just really close) him to a wall,,,, the drunk sobered up v. quickly! mum walked past him and then when far enough away,,, called todd who came running,,,, dog didnt touch the bloke - just had him threatened...

ace really - sam would hve been the same, nick wouldnt and neither would millie... (well i dont think),, millies too nice but i think if she was pushed enough she would.... i mean if someone was relaly hurting me and i screamed then mabey,,,, hopefully i'll never be in that situation and have to find out...
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-06-2008, 02:03 PM
I'm much more confident to walk anywhere without human company now that I have a dog.
One of the reasons I chose NIs is that I feel safe while out walking them alone - especially in the dark. This was an important consideration for me in choosing the right breed. I hope my dogs' protection ability is never tested. I'm not confident that either of my dogs would try to ward off an attacker but rely on the look of them to put potential attackers off.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »