Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2013, 06:40 PM

Christmas day dinner

Well what is your dinner of choice for Christmas?

We have decided to eat Christmas dinner on Christmas eve and leave the day itself for visiting and feet up. With nibbles throughout the day including of course Turkey sarnies.

We were considering going out for the day but Mom's swallowing is not up to it. So this is the alternative. Should be fun if not enjoyable.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2013, 06:46 PM
Sounds very relaxed Kazz
We will be having the traditional turkey and all the bits!
Boxing day it will be just me and hubby and that is when we pick at what is here and eat all the nibbles and spend the day just chillin!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2013, 06:59 PM
We used to do a big Xmas Eve and then same thing on Xmas Day because I worked Boxing Day so we shunted the 2 days back a bit.

On Xmas Eve it was open house and it was always my favourite day of the holiday. Xmas day was just blow out meal and waistbands undone, flake out on sofas with telly on and regret any invites you'd given out to people to 'pop round later on on Xmas Day' lol! So I think your idea is a good one!

Down in Newlyn it seemed to be the ritual that all neighbours visited each others houses on Xmas morning. Bucks Fizz for breakfast! And one neighbour would open the house for the rest and we'd all gather there. Then off to the pub for a lunchtime drink and home all afternoon eating.

I've had Xmas Lunch out about 4 times in my life with and without husbands and kids. Some have been really lovely and memorable. But the biggest problem for my lot with that is ...... NO LEFTOVERS lol! For that time when the huge lunch has shifted down a bit and then you traipse back and forth to the kitchen to get cold meat and stuffing and pickles and all sorts!

The one thing we ALWAYS do on Xmas day is to go for an early lunchtime drink at the local while the dinner is in the oven. Just the 'local' that has changed over the years.

We will be doing the same this year. Once I've got my eldest (Mart) and my youngest (Jen) to stop bickering about which house I am going to for Xmas lol! Latest ploy is them sending me messages about each other to sway the decision. Mart reckons Jen only wants me there to clean the house. Jen now reckons Mart is not even going to be in England. I love all this. They love each other dearly. Dan is in the middle - strictly veggie but offering to 'even buy a bluddy chicken and some ham and all come here' lol!

Oh another thing we ALWAYS do on Xmas day is to have a champagne breakfast. Smoked salmon and egg with the posh sauce on muffins with bubbly. Mart always makes it.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2013, 07:03 PM
Forgot to say KAZZ - anything and everything but Turkey. None of us keen on it. We always have a huge roast ham cooked well before Xmas Day. And we always have lamb too and pork and chicken. All sorts of meat and always have sausage bacon rolls and stuffing and yorkies whatever the meat is. And lots and lots and lots of roast veg. And tons of evil sprouts for Martin. And we always have bread sauce too whatever the meat! We are just a bunch of greedy plebs really. But we do the same thing every year and there is music and singing and laughter and arguments about cracker pressies and lurve.
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2013, 07:08 PM
I've always have Christmas dinner on boxing day - too full up of chocolate and other crap to enjoy it properly on Christmas day
Mum, dad, brothers, grandma plus aunties, uncles and cousins (who already had theirs on the day, so get to have another one lol!)
Oh, and the dogs get some meat and veggies too

Goose, pigs in blankets, mashed taters, parsnips, yorkshire puddings, carrots, peas, cauliflower cheese, stuffing and gravy. Yum!
Norma808
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-11-2013, 07:13 PM
Luckily for us this year will be at 1of the daughters ,
The traditional turkey dinner
Will leave her to get hot n sweaty cooking while I'll indulge myself in playing with the g kids new toys and scoffing sweets from their selection boxes , maybe a wee glass or 2
Well that's the plan fingers crossed it pans out. That way
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-11-2013, 07:15 PM
Kazz I have decided to do much the same. I refuse to cook Christmas lunch for the family on Christmas day fighting my way through the hordes who think the shops will never open again after Christmas . I am too old

I will cook a family lunch with organic rare breed pork ( I don't eat turkey) and nanna's christmas pudding before things start to get busy
I think the children have a party every weekend in December and we are all going to the theatre to see Snow White on 15th.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2013, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Kazz I have decided to do much the same. I refuse to cook Christmas lunch for the family on Christmas day fighting my way through the hordes who think the shops will never open again after Christmas . I am too old

I will cook a family lunch with organic rare breed pork ( I don't eat turkey) and nanna's christmas pudding before things start to get busy
I think the children have a party every weekend in December and we are all going to the theatre to see Snow White on 15th.
Yeah!! What is that all about? Shops usually only close for a day or so over Xmas in the UK. And they sell everything cheap after Xmas Day so why do people 'stock up'?

We had a huge duck two years ago. Mart cooked it here in Cyprus and has never let me forget it lol! Trying to remember what the name of the type of duck was now?
Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2013, 07:30 PM
I think its our turn to go to my daughters this year but with her being ill & not able to eat anything. The Grandkids are both soooooo fussy she would only really be cooking for us & her OH who isnt that bothered so it will just be the two of us .... again.
I'll probably get a small good piece of Beef with all the trimmings. OH cant eat cake or mince pies etc so its not really worth me getting any. I do usually make a trifle which he loves & try to make it as sugar free as possible.
So not really any different from a normal day really
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Yeah!! What is that all about? Shops usually only close for a day or so over Xmas in the UK. And they sell everything cheap after Xmas Day so why do people 'stock up'?

We had a huge duck two years ago. Mart cooked it here in Cyprus and has never let me forget it lol! Trying to remember what the name of the type of duck was now?
Aylesbury duck Pat ?

I have a phobia about eating birds, I am a 'feathetarian'
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »