Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-06-2013, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Jenny you can buy a copper strip to put around the pots at the garden center, apparently slimy things don't like crossing copper.
This does work despite sounding like witchcraft. Just have to make sure the tape completes a circuit all the way round the pot.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
This does work despite sounding like witchcraft. Just have to make sure the tape completes a circuit all the way round the pot.
Thanks for that. My OH has told me not to buy any as he allegedly has some in his workshop ..... once he has found it I will also add a strip around the middle of each pot.

Mini thanks for that clip. I have finally got around to copying that video clip idea. I used a brown plastic drinks bottle (well washed) and stuck it with gaffa tape to the inside of the top of the pot. I also put some DW40 all over the outside of the pot. IF it works I'll do the other one. Finger crossed

I have made the collar all the way around the pot and I think it is highly unlikely that any slug or snail will climb up the wooden hatch as I've recently creosoted it.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2013, 06:41 PM
One point to make Jenny - I used to use rounded pebbles as decorative aggregate in my pots and to help preserve moisture (well there's an endless supply of 'em when you live opposite a beach isn't there?)

However I was told that slugs and snails like smooth stones to go under.

But that they HATE crawling over sharp material i.e. sharp gravel (not smooth pea gravel) and sharp sand (not builder's sand). So I switched to using that.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2013, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
One point to make Jenny - I used to use rounded pebbles as decorative aggregate in my pots and to help preserve moisture (well there's an endless supply of 'em when you live opposite a beach isn't there?)

However I was told that slugs and snails like smooth stones to go under.

But that they HATE crawling over sharp material i.e. sharp gravel (not smooth pea gravel) and sharp sand (not builder's sand). So I switched to using that.
Thanks for that I only put those smooth pebbles on the soil 'cos Flash is forever getting mouthfuls of it and running off in the hope that Rucksack will chase him Drives me mad but sharp sand or gravel should work and hopefully he wouldn't run off with that.
Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2013, 09:07 PM
All our back garden is paved with only a couple of pots in which the slugs dont bother with - but - they do come out on the flags for the bird seed that drops out of the feeders. When its raining & I go out about 10pm for Taffs last wee they can be everywhere (horrible things) I usually sprinkle salt on them but next morning have to shovel them up with great difficulty Ive tried putting beer down & when I went out about an hour later there was tons of them there - I think it attracted them. I find them climbing up the fence as well
This morning the flags were covered in slug trails even though its not been raining
I'd love to find something that gets rid of them - I cant stand the thought of picking them up even with rubber gloves on
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2013, 09:51 PM
I've been out twice tonight and usually there are loads of snail and slugs .... I haven't found one yet
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4