Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

15-03-2013, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by kodimeg View Post
it would be the exact thickness that it is now just a different colour.
And like I said at the start of this thread, the little electrons don't care what colour the outer insulation is

Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
If it ain't broke - don't fix it!
One of my lifetime beliefs, you wouldn't believe how much stuff I've seen ruined by people diving in when there was no need

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
When he mentions the smoke alarms, I'm assuming he wants to do the hard wired ones, and my advice would be to you, to stay well clear of them!!!
Agree, the battery operated ones do the same job, and since they hardly use any power when not activated the batteries last a long time, you will need to replace them approximately every three years (depending on the make) but the really big advantage IMO is that you can move them around easily, you could put one in the garage if you temporarily had some jerry cans of petrol in there, and even take them with you when you move
JebbyCarl
New Member!
Male 

25-06-2013, 11:02 AM
In may I am going to have a lot of work done on my house, replastered Walls and ceiling, new internal doors, damp proof course, central heating, fitted kitchen, roof work, basically everything. The builder also said while I am having all this done, I should also have my house rewired.

I did have it rewired about 17 years ago and been looking on the internet to try and find out how often it needs to be done but the answers are so varying. I know the builder will tell me it needs doing as it's more money for him and I don't want all this work done and then need to have it done in 5 years or so.

Anyone have any idea?

Are you still worrying to you house to be done quickly? Have you found someone to do the stuff?

Jebb
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-06-2013, 03:45 PM
Hi yes thanks. It's almost done now, had a few problems with the finishing touches, but its almost there. Can you believe he cleaned his tools in my brand new sink and badly scratched it, so he will have to replace that. Decided not to have rewiring done as electrician said mine was fine.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Hi yes thanks. It's almost done now, had a few problems with the finishing touches, but its almost there. Can you believe he cleaned his tools in my brand new sink and badly scratched it, so he will have to replace that. Decided not to have rewiring done as electrician said mine was fine.
Yes I can!!! SOME builders are just that, builders, they are used to working in empty houses, leaving yours like a building site when they leave, and having NO respect for anything new. The guy who fitted a new little bathroom suite in one of my caravans, lifted off the ceramic cystern lid (whilst I was standing behind him) and promptly placed it in the ceramic sink next to him He obviously hadn't seen the dust sheets I had put on the floor AND in the shower base to protect that then had he I don't know what he was thinking ???!!!! Some of them are a breed alone, and I'm afraid I won't have another one in the house now, I would rather string the job about and let husband do everything, it's not worth the stress.

I hope you've managed to survive all those weeks Kodi without busting a gasket yourself there and that you're happy with all the work now. Very stressful isn't it, we've spent the past year on this house, just one bathroom left now, but that can wait.

Maybe he'll learn now that he's got to replace your sink!!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

25-06-2013, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I hope you've managed to survive all those weeks Kodi without busting a gasket yourself there and that you're happy with all the work now. Very stressful isn't it,
Here here, hope you are happy with the 'new look'
JebbyCarl
New Member!
Male 

26-06-2013, 01:04 AM
Well, good to hear that it's almost done. CHeers.!!!!!
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-06-2013, 07:47 AM
I have seen this post a bit late. However here's my 3 pence worth. A friend of mine is selling his house and hopes to complete in early July. The buyer has had a survey done and it has RED flags against the electrical condition. (The house was built in 1980). It failed due to having a fuse box rather than the latest 17th edition circuit breaker RCD box, it did not have the latest earthing standards in the kitchen and it did not have an electrical safety certificate. He has had 2 or 3 quotes from electricians, all seem to be around £500 - £750 to replace the box and fit current spec earthing.

BUT, they then have to test the electrical wiring for earth leakage and of course should they encounter any failure would have to search for the problem. This then incurs an hourly rate and puts the price up considerably.

As far as re-wiring, he has been told 25 years is the accepted advisory. As others have said, this seems ridiculous as I have never seen any degradation in modern house cabling.

I would say if you have still got an old fashioned fuse box then get it replaced with the latest 17th edition RCD box, it may save your life.
These boxes cost around £60 - £80 but your electrician will then charge for fitting, so as i said earlier, total around £500 -£700.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technica...r/Hager_17.pdf
JebbyCarl
New Member!
Male 

26-06-2013, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I have seen this post a bit late. However here's my 3 pence worth. A friend of mine is selling his house and hopes to complete in early July. The buyer has had a survey done and it has RED flags against the electrical condition. (The house was built in 1980). It failed due to having a fuse box rather than the latest 17th edition circuit breaker RCD box, it did not have the latest earthing standards in the kitchen and it did not have an electrical safety certificate. He has had 2 or 3 quotes from electricians, all seem to be around £500 - £750 to replace the box and fit current spec earthing.

BUT, they then have to test the electrical wiring for earth leakage and of course should they encounter any failure would have to search for the problem. This then incurs an hourly rate and puts the price up considerably.

As far as re-wiring, he has been told 25 years is the accepted advisory. As others have said, this seems ridiculous as I have never seen any degradation in modern house cabling.

I would say if you have still got an old fashioned fuse box then get it replaced with the latest 17th edition RCD box, it may save your life.
These boxes cost around £60 - £80 but your electrician will then charge for fitting, so as i said earlier, total around £500 -£700.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technica...r/Hager_17.pdf
Hello there,

So the labor costs is around 400+ euros to 600+ euros.. Is it not too much for a labor? Just to replace a certain thing in a house..

Do they only required about the electrical side? How about the drainage? Is it still functions well?

Do you have some picture of that house by the way?

Jebby
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-06-2013, 08:43 AM
Its not just the box cost, the work has to be carried out by a part P registered electrician. All circuits to be tested on completion and a certificate issued.
Also included in his quote was that all main bonding (earthing) was upgraded up to current standards, main gas and water.
JebbyCarl
New Member!
Male 

26-06-2013, 08:47 AM
Re-really? And for sure it will takes time and money to lost? So will the owner provide the materials to be used or the electrician will take it as one package and one time fee?

If so, I can suggest you some cheap materials both in the side of electrical, gas and water. Where is this house located?
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >