Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2005, 02:45 PM

Muzzle

I have a confession to make: Archie has recently (and I mean in the last 2 days) decided that he does not like being groomed

Yesterday I was grooming him, and he is normally really good about it, but yesterday I was doing his back and he turned around and mouthed my hand

I shouted at him, more from shock than anything else, I still don't know if this was the correct response or not and I feel kind of bad about it Anyway, I carried on grooming him and he did it again. I got angry so I went and found a pair of old tights, cut one leg off and made a temporary muzzle. After that he calmed down and let me groom him without a fuss, but now I'm wondering if I did the wrong thing?

What would you have done in this situation?
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

11-06-2005, 02:50 PM
I would have done the same thing as well - Jack absolutley hates getting groomed and I am now going to have to muzzle him while being groomed hes fine every where apart from his bottom half
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2005, 03:31 PM
I would have done the same thing.

Did you check his back afterwards? Maybe he had a sore spot or something and didn't like you touching it.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2005, 04:23 PM
Thanks Emm and Staffy

Staffy I did check around that area but there is nothing, perhaps it's just a sensitive spot? I'll be careful around there in future.

So if your dog tries to bite you, or mouth or snap, are you meant to shout? Haven't really read much about this as I never needed to until now
dizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-06-2005, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by tuti
Thanks Emm and Staffy

Staffy I did check around that area but there is nothing, perhaps it's just a sensitive spot? I'll be careful around there in future.

So if your dog tries to bite you, or mouth or snap, are you meant to shout? Haven't really read much about this as I never needed to until now
i think a quick sharp fright is the best way, something to make him/her think twice, but it has to be instant, and no way did you over react, too many let them get away with murder, good for you.
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2005, 05:03 PM
I agree, I know when one of the puppies was little (can’t remember which one) and I was grooming and he or she growled at me so I took hold of he/she by the scruff of the next and gave a little shake and said 'no' fiercely. I would never ever shake an adult dog but a little shake on a puppy I think is ok. Lottie/Dougal never did it again. I think with young puppies they are just trying it on and if they are let to get away with it by ignoring the or ever worst stopping grooming and letting them get down, then the next time they are groomed they will try it again.

Sarah xxxx
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2005, 05:47 PM
Thanks Dizzy and Sarah.... as for getting away with murder, well Archie gets away with a lot cos he's my spoilt boy but there's no way I'm taking any nonsense from him while I'm trying to groom him (which is hard enough as it is). There is also no way he will ever get away with trying to bite me.
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2005, 06:06 PM
Dougal also get away with murder cause he is my little boy!! But he gets away with murder for doing thing that just mischievous wheaten get up to that instead of telling him off I just laugh!! This has made him a fun loving do and a bit of a clown! But I would never let him get away with something that was truly naughty, like biting and stuff like that. I think you did the right thing and if Archie does it again I would shout at him but as soon as you have done just ignore him and carry on grooming. Some dogs will do it as a one off others will do it a few time but eventually they will realised that it doesn’t get them out of grooming.

Sarah xxxx
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2005, 06:15 PM
Yep I agree fully with you Sarah naughtiness and cheekiness is one this, but some things are unacceptable.

He normally gets things pretty quick, so I suppose he's just testing me silly boy.
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2005, 06:39 PM
Sounds like to me you are training him right. And he also sounds like a typical terrier. When they say that terriers are hard work I totally disagree with that but they are is incredibly intelligent and will test to see what they can and cant get away with. I think that is what dog books are trying to say when the say you need to show them who is boss, you don’t, you just need to show them what is acceptable and what is not. Terriers just are cheeky opportunists who will test you on everything! And once they know what ok to do and what is not they will remember that and behave themselves, but they might test you on occasion just too so if the rules are still the same!

Sarah xxxx

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >