Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 10:28 AM

Dogs living outside

i know alot of people dont agree with dogs being chained up outside and living out there, and although its not something i could do i dont think, after visiting a friend, i dont think there is anything wrong with it, providing the dog is looked after.

my friend has a rottweiler who has always lived outside. they have a farm, and the rottweiler is seen as a guard dog (not that she did much guarding she was lay sunbathing when i got there)

she has a kennel with straw as bedding, and she has quite a long chain (couldnt tell you the length im useless at guessing measurements) she has her water bowl there, and she gets fed there.

she is loosed into the yard a couple of times a day, as well as walked. she often accompanies the owners to the pub, and on rides out, and is really fussed and loved.

i just thought i would put the spin on there because i know some people see its cruel, but i just thought i would show that even though they are outside, doesnt mean they are any less loved than dogs that live inside
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 10:34 AM
I don't really have a problem with dogs living outside, depending on the circumstances, but not chained up I'm afraid. No doubt she is loved but I hate to think of dogs living on the end of a chain.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 10:36 AM
I have no problem with it, when I move my dogs will go from 100% house dogs to living inside and out.
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 10:43 AM
I haven't got a problem with dogs living outside as long as they have shelter, food and love.

The chain sends a shudder up my spine though, but maybe ( and I don't know the answer ) there is a legal aspect of them doing this if she's a guard dog?
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 10:46 AM
Do you count a kennel as living outside? I know quite a few people whose dogs live in kennels with runs as they are out all day. They have heating in the winter and insulation in the kennels. My friend's dogs are house dogs when they are at home. I wouldn't be happy with the chain aspect either.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 10:48 AM
I don't have an issue with dogs living outside as long as all their needs are met. It's not something I'd do but I don't necessarily think it's cruel.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 10:49 AM
You cannot generalize about these things. Some dogs in some circumstances will be perfectly happy living outdoors. Many others, however, will not be.

Generally speaking, I don't think the average pet dog in suburbia should be living outdoors. I live near two Australian Cattle Dogs who are kenneled outdoors 24/7 (their garden backs on to a public footpath) with the occasional walk on the lead. I find it heartbreaking that these poor dogs are stuck barking and pacing in a kennel with nothing but a concrete floor to stare at.

Personally I don't get why anyone would want to keep a pet dog outside. My dogs are my companions and I love having them in the house with me. I would hate to have to go and stand in the garden with them any time I wanted to spend any time with them -- what is the point? I might as well get a rabbit!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 10:49 AM
she has the chain because they cant have her loose. she is on the main part of the farm, but they have fields across the road, and with it being a farm, not everywhere is secure. the dog is secured to the kennel so she still has enough space to roam about, but cant get out anywhere or on to the road.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post

Personally I don't get why anyone would want to keep a pet dog outside. My dogs are my companions and I love having them in the house with me. I would hate to have to go and stand in the garden with them any time I wanted to spend any time with them -- what is the point? I might as well get a rabbit!
see i agree with this, i like my dogs in the house with me, but then people do it and their dogs are well looked after and happy. my friend who has flat coats kennels them the majority of the time. they dont live in the house (well didnt at her old house, im not too sure now she's moved) but her dogs were extremely well loved, made no difference that they lived outside.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Does'nt bother me some dogs perfer being outside and as long the dog is loved, fed, has shelter, kept in good condition I don't see a problem.
Page 1 of 50 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »