Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DeeBuzzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-07-2016, 03:22 PM

Car sick puppy?

Our 6 month old ESS has recently decided he doesn't like going in the car. He will go in OK but then turns right around and tries to jump out at any cost.
My knowledgable "doggy" friend has suggested that he maybe car sick.
He used to to appear to be happy, watching the world go by while watching out of the back window. Was that a good idea, or would it make car sickness worse? And suggestions or advice would be great!
Thank you!
Dee
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-07-2016, 03:38 PM
In my experience car sickness involves lots of drooling before actual sickness, so on short journeys they may not actually reach the sickness stage but they do tend to look very sorry for themselves. Some dogs grow out of it others never do. I had a cocker spaniel that was car sick his entire life and one of my Pugs gets car sick on journey's of around an hour, she's fine on short trips but neither ever tried to avoid car journey's.
Ms. M
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-07-2016, 01:30 AM
Mine too don't know how to help my dog about car sick
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2016, 06:55 AM
If he is really car sick, throwing up or drooling then a homeopathic remedy called Cocculus will help. We have just used this for a cockapoo and it has worked very well. We used this remedy as it doesn't cause drowsiness. If it is just fidgeting about then this could be stress or excitement. Best to contain in either a travelling crate or fasten him to a door handle with his lead to stop him from moving around or of course a car harness. You could try feeding him in the car if it isn't car sickness. So that he associates it with nice things. When did this start? After a visit maybe to the vets? Or it could be his hearing. Have you checked his ears?
BruceLapierre
New Member!
Male 

25-07-2016, 11:22 PM
One of my mutts was car sick as a puppy. Threw up on the ride home to my place. He was never sick again but drooled a lot every time he was in the car for almost a year. Then he developed a strategy of facing the back seat and not moving and that helped him a lot. Now (7 years old) he looks out the window and can walk around the back seat without any trouble at all. It helps that car rides usually mean something good for him - a trip to the park or a lake. If car rides are going to be a part of his life your dog may just need to learn how to deal with it.
DeeBuzzby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-07-2016, 07:02 AM
Thanks for all the feedback guys!
He used to be very happy to go into the car, then he just decided he wasn't going to stay in any more! We then put in a bed with a thin base rather than the mattress that we'd always used for our previous dog, thinking that he'd be more stable if he stood up. This seemed to work for a while, then he started to be reluctant to stay in that too. Same scenario when we changed to crate! He's always had an enjoyable walk at his destination ( we need to drive to our destinations as live on a busy country road) - never more than 15 minutes away, and he still likes the vet fortunately, so can't say he thinks he'll be going somewhere nasty. A complete mystery.
Reassuring to know he's not alone though!